'I'm a Celebrity' Attraction - 2015

JoshC.

Lets see a major thrill park that appeals to families as well. what fits that description. Oh yeah cedar point fits that pretty well and it seems to work very well for them. Having families and major thrills at the same time is a good move. What I don't agree with what Thorpe is doing is the cheap last minute family additions. How IAC is a family addition, considering how its on after the watershed, is a very odd move. It makes no sense to have it as an IP. Jungle run would have been better or no IP at all. I'm just going to sit back to see how this turns out because I have no idea what way this investment could go. 

I don't think Jungle Run even exists as an IP now. I dont even remember the last time that show aired? Why would they bring out an attraction nobody has heard of in some 10 years! 

Everyone who is able to remember it, knows of IAC, anyone below the age of 14/15 wouldn't have a clue what Jungle Run is. Your logic is bizzare. 

Hang on, let me bring out a Rosie And Jim walkthrough while we are at it.

IF Jungle Run was still a thing then it WOULD have been a good IP. But as it is not (sadly) it's totally out of the question. The IAC theme is just for benefit towards both ITV and Thorpe, that way they can use each other to advertise and create synergy. IAC is a popular TV show and even if you haven't watched it you'll still know what it is, as much as we don't like the idea I'm sure the GP do. The IAC move was a good one in some ways, how many times have you heard people saying they want to do some of the challenges the celebrities have to do?

There is no denying that IAC is a known brand and one which is watched by a lot of people. That said, it isn't really a brand of quality or depth.

The question here is... did Thorpe Park feel that IAC was something THEY wanted for THEIR park... or was it more that they will take what they can get? I can't imagine the Thorpe Park development team sat down a couple of years ago 'now yes, let me think - we won't have much money in 2015 so let's just get a cheap jungle maze in themed around IAC'. Doubtful.

What happened to the days of unique attractions which are designed by the in house teams at Merlin? Or are the Thorpe Park marketing department just not capable of delivery any more?

The THORPE PARK name should be a brand big enough in itself to warrant a guests visit - not a fairly cheap/trashy ITV TV show.

I find it quite interesting that IAC is an IP with very little international appeal, with only a few international variations. 

When you consider the Paramount Park looming, and its international target market, its almost as if Thorpe and Merlin really don't care about it. 

Lets go five or six years down the line here, and just *assume* IAC is still a relevant IP. When trying to compete for international custom, no European is gonna give a damn about some silly IAC ride, when pitted against the competition. 

I'm not still not saying the IP was a good or bad decision, but it is very telling of their long term aspects for growth, considering I should imagine international visitors make up a good portion of their market share.  

IF Jungle Run was still a thing then it WOULD have been a good IP. But as it is not (sadly) it's totally out of the question. The IAC theme is just for benefit towards both ITV and Thorpe, that way they can use each other to advertise and create synergy. IAC is a popular TV show and even if you haven't watched it you'll still know what it is, as much as we don't like the idea I'm sure the GP do. The IAC move was a good one in some ways, how many times have you heard people saying they want to do some of the challenges the celebrities have to do?

Can they create synergy towards each other when the show airs in November, a time when Thorpe is closed. I've never heard anyone ever say they would like to try the challenges set on the gameshow. 

I mentioned this to some colleagues last night who I would broadly describe as 'normal'. They hadn't heard about it previously and were pretty much only positive about it, they really want to give it a go.

Overall I suppose it is a bit like a cross between a themed fun house, something I always love, and an effect rather than actor reliant maze, something quite a few people here have wanted. Although I don't care much for the program the work we've on the theming seen so far looks pretty high quality and if they manage to get some of the trial set ups realistically recreated I can see how that could work well. I think the hardest thing will be pitching it so it gives enough of a 'scare' to the older people without being too much for the families, and whatever tricks or effects they use are good enough to get people laughing along with the experience rather than at it.

Overall though, who doesn't want a go in front of a massive fan?

http://youtu.be/FIRFAOIXUPA?t=9m42s

Side note, if you don't know Toast of London you are missing out on a lot!

The theming looks stunning so far, let's just hope the attraction itself is equally as good!

I just hope low throughputs and a windy cattle pen queue aren't the factors which bring the attraction down. If we see an immersing, well themed queue line followed by a highly themed and fun experience, it could shape up to be a really nice addition to the park.

It's only a month to go now so I guess we just need to wait and see! :)

Throughputs is the thing that's concerning me most about all of this. You won't be rushed through it surely as there's the quiz section so it won't be continuous flow. And cattle pen, if they're going to have a queue it'll have to be a cattle pen as they won't have much if any room to play with. Let's be honest it is right next to an active, busy construction site (and they won't block of the Fungle site with a cattle pen like they do at FN as that destroys a huge chunk of access from the service road to the site).

Unless you have to get a timed ticket for the maze. No Fastrack, just when you go in there is a stand in the Dome and you get yourself a timed ticket by scanning your park ticket (as you should still have it at this point it's only been a minute since you entered) and then when they're gone they're gone. First come first serve. Like they did with Saw Alive on the 2010 AP day and have done before.

And to those thinking that we must rethink everything we've thought about the 2016 dark ride theme, why? This maze is going behind the dark ride, not near the entrance plaza of the dark ride and this is Thorpe Park. Look right you've got Saw, left you've got some colourful bird filled building and so forth. Highly doubt this will mean the dark ride theme will have to complement I'm A Celebrity as this is Thorpe. Mismatch fun.

Just a quick thought here, is it possible that RNR is used on this attraction to prevent them building a proper queue line? Seeing as there isn't much space for a cattle pen, I would imagine it as a sensible decision as only a few barriers would be needed to monitor guest flow.

The problem with using RNR or a timed-ticket is that when there is a system error, or the attraction experiences technical faults, the whole system gets delayed and knocked-back which will result in heavy crowds forming around the entrance and an overflowed pathway.

I would imagine Thorpe will try and build as big of a queue as possible to ensure guests aren't blocking up pathways while waiting even if RNR is used. Also, having a standby queue line is also particularly useful if the system gets delayed or stops working and there needs to be somewhere for those waiting for the attraction to queue.