Merlin VIP Annual Pass

AstroDan

It's made out like an exclusive experience for premium paying guests, but it's laughable how there are often many VIP groups roaming the parks in peak days, each thinking they have exclusivity over the rest, only to end up in long queues full of other "VIP Ultimate fastrack" guests. So many people just buy it for the price tag and that 'VIP lanyard' status - rather than because they value the perks.

There's nothing actually glamorous about visiting a theme park, no matter how much extra you pay to get in, so you have the ridiculous situation of staff being instructed to give these VIP guests all their attention and treat them better than the rest to make up for it. Which no one really buys into, especially when VIP guests from my experience are often irate and arrogant in their behaviour.

Maybe it's just me and my idea that everyone should be enjoying themselves equally, regardless of disposable income/stupidity to pay such a high price? Quite sad really and nothing but a money-hungry, opportunist idea.

Haha well in my experience (other parks may operate this differently or dependent on each ride) VIPs often just come up the exit on their own accord when they deem the Fastrack queue to be too long for them. It's a big grey area in terms of a queueing system.

But I'd rather that than have a dedicated VIP queue. No.

What's the rules with regard to VIP Fast track? Do they go to the regular fast track queue or the ride exit? I saw people doing both over the weekend.

Probably whatever they want... They are "VIP" after all.

I can't be bothered to go into a rant about how much they frustrate me at times as sometimes the way they use their passes is completely unfair. There was a medium sized front row queue on nemesis inferno on Sunday and the ride team literally weren't letting the front row queue move up due to VIP passholders wanting to ride and re-ride there. It's a completely biased system, yes they should receive extra perks but these perks should NOT have negative effects on other people.

I laugh when it backfires though; we walked straight into the stealth station on Sunday in the main queue and the VIP pass holders had to wait 5-10mins due to the chain being pulled across the steps and the ride host not paying attention as the ride was walk on. It's mean of me but it's pretty funny when they try to take advantage of their perks, especially when there is no queue.

What's the rules with regard to VIP Fast track? Do they go to the regular fast track queue or the ride exit? I saw people doing both over the weekend.

Each ride has its own rules, on the whole it's fastrack at Thorpe but last weekend was different from normal so hosts at the ride may have said use the exit.

I laugh when it backfires though; we walked straight into the stealth station on Sunday in the main queue and the VIP pass holders had to wait 5-10mins due to the chain being pulled across the steps and the ride host not paying attention as the ride was walk on. It's mean of me but it's pretty funny when they try to take advantage of their perks, especially when there is no queue.

Problem there is if we used the normal queue we'd then get people moaning saying they have their own fastrack queue why they taking up our spaces etc

ROFL what you've described is a little familiar, I wondered up and the chain wasn't across, one of the ride ops just waved me and a few others through, while some people in the fast track queue looked a little annoyed...

Problem there is if we used the normal queue we'd then get people moaning saying they have their own fastrack queue why they taking up our spaces etc

I think his point is when there is no main queue, why go up the fast track?

Like you said elsewhere, if there's no queue, there's no point using the VIP system as you risk loosing out, I saw it twice, once on Stealth and one on Zodiac, not casting any aspersions about you, but some of the VIP crowd seem a little short in the common sense department, which can sometimes bugger it up for people like you who have it.

Like you said elsewhere, if there's no queue, there's no point using the VIP system as you risk loosing out, I saw it twice, once on Stealth and one on Zodiac, not casting any aspersions about you, but some of the VIP crowd seem a little short in the common sense department, which can sometimes bugger it up for people like you who have it.

It's probably sheer laziness on their part as well, they can't be bothered to walk through the windy cattlepens, even if it is walk-on and therefore just take to the ride exits instead as it's less effort.

Burn some calories, they've probably helped themselves to unlimited breakfast, lunch and dinner free buffet in the exclusive "VIP passholder meeting point" anyway...

Some people will follow it 100% others are more flexible. What I mean was say in this situation, it's walk on and nearing closing time, a group of kids come running up the path only to have us walking through - they'd soon say well why are you delaying us

Yeah that get's me too, not the in-your-face-I'm-a-vip thing, I've worked in industries much worse, but the risk, when we got our MAP's the first thing I did was clip the pass in the laynard and throw it at the wall see how it stood up, pass popped out easier than hot knife through butter so I decided there and then the passes would be kept securely in my wallet in my pocket and not round our necks.

It's probably sheer laziness on their part as well, they can't be bothered to walk through the windy cattlepens, even if it is walk-on and therefore just take to the ride exits instead as it's less effort.

Burn some calories, they've probably helped themselves to unlimited breakfast, lunch and dinner free buffet in the exclusive "VIP passholder meeting point" anyway...

Actually only had an orange juice and one croissant myself, lol I wish more VIP's would join the conversation feels like everyone against 1 haha :)

Yeah that get's me too, not the in-your-face-I'm-a-vip thing, I've worked in industries much worse, but the risk, when we got our MAP's the first thing I did was clip the pass in the laynard and throw it at the wall see how it stood up, pass popped out easier than hot knife through butter so I decided there and then the passes would be kept securely in my wallet in my pocket and not round our necks.

At every theme park apart from Alton we don't bother with them for that very reason, my card is slightly loose for this next reason. Alton have this strange obsession of random checking both the front and back, if your not wearing it they ask to see it when you try to use fastrack. They claim people sell the wristbands on even though they can clearly see it's not been tampered with.

At every theme park apart from Alton we don't bother with them for that very reason, my card is slightly loose for this next reason. Alton have this strange obsession of random checking both the front and back, if your not wearing it they ask to see it when you try to use fastrack. They claim people sell the wristbands on even though they can clearly see it's not been tampered with.

There's a way to get the wristbands off if you're quick and the glue hasn't fully cured, the guy in the office put my sons height one on slightly too tight and I was able to get it off to readjust it on Sunday, but it only works when it's cold or hasn't been pushed together properly.

I guess like the guy at Thorpe last year, one bad apply has been caught and they're super suspicious of everybody now, I noticed at busy times some ride operators were checking both writs bands and badges, but I think I'd still rather keep mine in my wallet than risk it round my neck but that probably comes from experience of loosing those dam laynard things more often than not in an old job.

There's a way to get the wristbands off if you're quick and the glue hasn't fully cured, the guy in the office put my sons height one on slightly too tight and I was able to get it off to readjust it on Sunday, but it only works when it's cold or hasn't been pushed together properly.

I guess like the guy at Thorpe last year, one bad apply has been caught and they're super suspicious of everybody now, I noticed at busy times some ride operators were checking both writs bands and badges, but I think I'd still rather keep mine in my wallet than risk it round my neck but that probably comes from experience of loosing those dam laynard things more often than not in an old job.

He did act like an idiot but he did also show the flaw in the disabled wristband system and I don't think it's changed.

We always find we have to cut them off, they've got in the habit of doing them up so they just spin round your wrist and then pressing down on the end of the sticky bit but I'm not surprised you can get them off. Lego and Chessington sometimes write the date on it, depends who meets you though.

Personally, I think the reason a lot of people dont post about being vip pass holders is because most arent coaster or theme park geeks.  I have no idea how many vip pass holders were on park at Thorpe on Sunday, but by the end of the 30min ert on Swarm there were only about 4 of us left riding (I think).  Its the first ers I have been on where there was hardly anyone riding by the end. :)

Anyway, I am not ashamed to have one of these passes.  It has made me enjoy Merlin parks more, but I am not a pass holder who is at a Merlin park every week, or indeed wants to be at a Merlin park every week.  I am a theme park fan and try and visit all the major (and some minor) UK parks at least once a year, as well as getting to Europe as much as I can.

Since I got my pass in late June I have been to Alton and Thorpe both 4 times, Chessington twice and Legoland once, so thats hardly using it to the extreme. Its like when I go to the USA or other parks that I know will be busy, I will use their version of fastrack.  Is that wrong?  Well no, not really, so why is it wrong to use a system in the UK parks.  Have any of you guys ever bought an unlimited fastrack system at any non Merlin park?  If so, how different is it to this pass that I have?

When the pass was announced I actually sat down and worked out the cost of it to see if it would be beneficial to me.  I wasnt like "ooh its a vip thing, I have to have it".  That couldnt be further from the truth.  I knew that I was going to be visiting Heide Park for two days in 2015, so that was my starting point.  Then the celebration tickets to get my wife into a merlin park for two days was another reason.  Then there was the "golden ticket" experiences, which were a grey area.  So things added up and it was more economic for me to buy this pass than a premium.  it wasnt a decision I made hastilly, I weighed up the pros against the price and decided to go for it.

But as mentioned in my previous post, I have never abused the pass and never will.  If there is no queue, I wont go in the fastrack queue or use the exit, I will use the main queue.  I dont demand to be sat at a certain seat and I only use the exit when the fastrack queue is closed.  As for re-rides, the only time this has happened is at Thorpe when the park was empty and there wasnt a queue for Stealth, so they were letting all people through the gate.  Same on Inferno, no queue, so everyone was re-riding. 

I can understand some peoples frustration at vip holders, but please do not tarnish us all with the same brush.  I have seen some truly horrid behaviour by some pass holders and felt sorry for the staff involved, because ultimately we who use it correctly are also deemed to be arrogant and ignorant a-holes when we are not. :mellow:

Believe me, there has been a lot of frustration in the eyes of vip holders.  As Paul mentioned we were only told the procedure for each ride in early October, thats four months after the pass was released.  Those issues could have been sorted from day 1, but alas they werent.  At times, it has also seemed as though they have been making it up as they go along and indeed restrictions are being imposed on it for the waterpark usage at Alton (not that I have ever used it for that).

At the end of the day I am a down to earth coaster and park enthusiast who wanted to treat myself to a pass which made my days enjoyable at Merlin parks.  Is that so wrong?   :)

Peace !! :)

I wouldn't say you're in the wrong. Ultimately it IS on sale and Merlin WANT you to buy them.

Yes - I have bought a Fast Lane at Cedar Point and similar at Six Flags. But it IS different. Fastrack is here to stay and given how much I visit parks and accept guests cutting in front of the line on a regular basis, I feel it's appropriate to therefore use it myself on the odd occasion - almost as a refund on my patience at the likes of Thorpe Park. Times when I would consider purchasing are being time limited at a major park or having spent vast fortunes on getting there in the first place.

However, I still don't agree in limitless annual fastrack use. It makes the passholder almost forget the realities of visiting and pushes the class divide within parks even further.

This is why Europa-Park rules.

Without going into a Merlin rant, I do agree with you Dan.  For me, Merlin parks were getting to the stage where the constant selling of fastrack was having a detrimental effect on my visits.  My wife likes visiting parks, but not so much riding coasters, so I was VERY aware of going into a queue for 3 hours for the Smiler.  How much fun would my wife be having, sat outside.  None.  This was one of the main reasons for me buying the pass.

There is of course the debate, like you say, about if there should actually be a limitless annual fastrack pass.  Unfortunately the Merlin parks are not run like Europa or some of the other European parks, so operations are good, but not fantastic.  Even when they are good, for example the Stealth team on Sunday, the ride capacity and hourly throughput are not on the same scale as Europa.  So long queues are almost inevitable on most Merlin owned attractions.  There are the exceptions like the queue munching Oblivion and Duel, but on the whole, Merlin parks can only really be enjoyed on a ) very quiet days or b ) in the possession of fastrack.

In an ideal World, there should be no fastrack in parks, as they do push a class divide, but organisations see the ££'s flash before their eyes and offer this experience as its easy money for them, with very little up front cost.  With no fastrack, parks would be forced to install high capacity rides to limit queues and improve wait times.

However, Merlin seem to be vip this, vip that etc etc.

I mean look at the experiences that Alton are offering... For £180 per person you get this...

• Fastrack Platinum
  • Front row riding on all coasters
  • and someone walking you around the park.

These will be wearing the same kind of bands that vip pass holders will, but they get a totally different level of service and these are the ones who sometimes will get confused as vip pass holders. 

So in reality, fastrack and vip experiences are here to stay at Merlin.  Its quick and easy money for them and really the only way to experience a full day at the parks, is as you say Dan, to buy fastrack.

There will also be some people who look at a vip pass as being better than others.  Again I have witnessed this, but for down to earth people like me, I don't want to shove being a vip holder down anyones throat whilst at a park.  I don't have my pass around my neck advertising the fact, its kept safely in my wallet.  I also don't take the mickey when it comes to fastrack.  For example I don't get off Nemesis and immediately wait by the exit to get back on.  That's not right in my book.  The only time I do that is by utilising the single rider queue when there is no one waiting !! :)

So to conclude another long post from me, it is a shame that Merlin offered this pass but it has made my visits better, because I can ride what I want without worrying about my wife getting bored waiting for me. I know that as a single vip pass holder in our household that I wont be reducing the main queue all that much as I purposely fill up the empty seats.  Indeed if places like Thorpe hadn't removed my beloved single rider line on Stealth, I may not have even purchased one !! :)

Its an interesting debate though and although not nice to hear that vip holders are looked at in a certain way, I know that I can hold my head up high and say that at least I don't take the p**s :)  Therefore if any of you see a lone guy in the fastrack queue with a vip band on, or in the main queueline as its tiny, please be nice, we aren't all bad. :lol:

The thing is Jamie, if there wasn't a vip pass, there would still be people buying platinum fastrack and using it to access the fastrack queue.

Most major parks around the world, with a few exceptions (Europa, Efteling), offer some sort of paid queue jump system.  So its not just Merlin and the vip.  If anything Merlins fastrack system is better than say Pleasure Beachs speedy pass as at least there is some waiting rather than Pleasure Beach's walk straight on the ride and making people wait as you are sat in their seat.

I have even seen problems with the free system at Disney parks.  In California Adventure last year, the allocation for Cars went after 30 minutes, BUT people weren't sticking to their allocated times and just waited until darkness fell to experience Cars at night.  This resulted in a huge fastrack queue and the normal queue not moving. 

Most parks are guilty of this, so its not just Merlin

The main queue not moving though isn't down to pass holders or anyone else using fastrack it's down to the staff / management instructions. Fastrack doesn't offer immediate entrance just a shorter wait time.

The ride teams at thorpe seem to think differently...

They will almost always try and clear the fastrack queue before even letting anyone through in the main queue. It's at it's worst on fright nights, when the fastrack line is well over an hour and the main queue is over 3 hours yet they only try and continuously clear the fastrack queue which is unsurprisingly, impossible.