'I'm a Celebrity' Maze

pluk

22 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

Anyone know when the IP runs out for IACGMOOH? Reduced operating hours surely means the beginning of the end, if it hasn't been said already.

I'm not sure on this for certain, but I believe it was a 3 year contract with an option to extend if both parties wanted to.  That's how the Lionsgate contract worked for FN, so it'd make sense for Thorpe to try and get a similar style of contract. 

Went Thorpe on Saturday and the maze was open.  There were 2 differences that I noticed when I was there.

Firsty, the bridge you cross as you first enter the attraction (just before 'Holey Moley') now vibrates.  I can't remember it doing that in the past!

Secondly, we were ushered from the 'Chambers of Horror' straight past the section where you have to sort out the washing and were shown straight in to Kiosk Kate's section. 

I thought it was a staffing issue until I realised someone was standing by the door and had given one of the guests the bag of Dingo Dollars to hand over at the Kiosk! 

Surely she could have managed the section where you have to sort the laundry?  The queue was only 20 minutes long so it can't have been to get more people through quickly! 

• 1 year later...
14 minutes ago, Coaster said:

Well that was definitely a worthwhile use of money and resources then.

It did 4 seasons and would have cost very very little (probably made it back in its fastrack sales)

Will be interesting to see what they do with it - the theming in there is actually really good so hope it’s not the last we see of it!

5 hours ago, Marc said:

probably made it back in its fastrack sales

Fair enough that you were replying to a post about money and resources rather than entertainment value, but when bad attractions need to be justified by fastrack sales you know somethings wrong. Fastrack is a scam that shouldnt need to even exist. Attractions should make good business out of good entertainment (I'm sure you agree, but just saying)

I'd be very surprised if they decide to open Living Nightmare over I'm a Celebrity. Living Nightmare requires significantly more actors (IAC requires 4 minimum, LN probably a solid 8), and it didn't exactly generate any more popularity than you'd expect. Scare attractions don't work outside of Fright Nights, and hopefully this lesson has finally sunk in at Thorpe.

The actors have escaped the jungle, they're not going to live a nightmare instead. I expect the license for IAC ran out, Thorpe didn't want to renew. The space will probably stay the same; they'll re-use the theming and route for something else. It cost a lot of money, they'll want to get as much as they can out of it, rather than flatten it for a new maze.

In all fairness it was all a matter of time on the ‘waiting’ game to when IAC, especially with the politics involving Ant.

Four seasons is quite astounding for an attraction that was clearly intended as something short term and not built to last. 

Hopefully what follows investment wise wise will be aimed to be more long term, but who knows. 

I can imagine the interior would've cost a fair bit, as well as getting the ITV/IAC license?

Surely the money they used for that would've been better spend towards something that would have benefited the park in the long term?  Like, maintaining their log flume so it didn't have to close, perhaps?

12 hours ago, Coaster said:

I can imagine the interior would've cost a fair bit, as well as getting the ITV/IAC license?

Surely the money they used for that would've been better spend towards something that would have benefited the park in the long term?  Like, maintaining their log flume so it didn't have to close, perhaps?

The license cost, for many IPs, isn't as much as you'd expect. IAC in particular would have been quite cheap, as they probably didn't opt for any form of exclusivity, as no other UK attraction would really do an IAC-themed thing, and it's a different show abroad. The money spent for 4 years of the IP is small fry compared to fixing a log flume.

Given the amount of work Loggers needed (and now further needs), I'd be very surprised if the money invested into IAC would have been enough to stop Loggers closing if it had been spent on that.

1 hour ago, MattyMoo said:

Not a fan of I'm A Celeb - but if this is removed without a replacement attraction, that's one less attraction on park and more queues elsewhere.

I guess it's pretty safe to assume there is nothing new for 2019, attraction or ride wise...?

Didn't this attraction spend most of last year shut anyway?

Little to no difference if it's not replaced (which it won't be this year)...

51 minutes ago, Benin said:

Didn't this attraction spend most of last year shut anyway?

Little to no difference if it's not replaced (which it won't be this year)...

Was open throughout the peak periods - so it would help with the queues even if just a little.

Sure, having attractions to eat queues is better than nothing, but considering the average throughput was around 200 (300 at an absolute push on good days), the difference isn’t that substantial really, especially when you consider fastrack and RAP will make 30-40% of that too.

It was an okay filler attraction, but maybe budgets should’ve been spent elsewhere too as the space lends itself better for fright night mazes. 

And nothing of value was lost.

Did it a couple of times during its short life, it was pretty rubbish and I'd have had no interest in ever doing it again. It should have been obvious the throughput could never be sufficient to satisfy a single price theme park environment, and efforts to increase throughput massively hurt the already poor experience.

The only other option would have been to have it as an separately paid for attraction but then it would have to have been good enough to warrant it, which it wasn't. That would have been the way to go with it; make it a lot more personal and interactive with actual competition and a prize to play for. The escape room has proven there is an appetite for something like that on an up-charge if it's good enough.

I doubt the space will be put to much use. A generic jungle themed Frightnights maze feels inevitable...

• 4 weeks later...

I honestly don't think the rangers are going to be returning. They have absolutely no relevance to the park anymore, yes it's the 40th birthday, but lets be honest, if they came back nobody would have any idea who they are and what significance they were back in the day, except the geeks.

Also, IAC closed because the contract ended. I am confident that the building will be SBNO, because that's what the park seem to love to do at the moment. 

This will be the extent of the birthday celebrations

30thflowerbed.jpg