'I'm a Celebrity' Maze

pluk

The roof: It's visible, so is X's, and all of the Dungeons. It's not a problem in my eyes as the theming is so immersive around you if you're looking up then you're odd, you're surrounded by an amazing theme and setting that is more than enough to detract you from the bare ceiling (that is very dark and not exactly stand out).

It's not really odd, an attraction like that should have 360 degree theming, it's supposed to be a jungle but having such a low warehouse roof detracts from the effect, if they'd covered it with dark green sheets or army netting then it would look much better.  Also, it wasn't that dark, and in some places it was completely visible.  Not that much of an issue I agree, but for a themed maze it should have been hidden better than that.

As for the Dungeons, they are a poor effort IMO but that's for another topic.  X is completely different in my opinion as it's not supposed to be a themed experience depicting a particular setting (e.g. Jungle), it's just basically a rave on a ride so I don't have a problem with the warehouse being visible on that.

You say about the throughput, yes it's low but it's not really a problem. If people are happy queueing 85 minutes then it's fine. A ride with higher throughput doesn't instantly guarantee low queues. It's a flawed logic. Like Forbidden Journey gets 1900+ every hour yet can still surpass a 2 hour queue. It's all about what people are willing to queue. It may look like a short line in comparison to other rides, but you can't compare ride for ride. By that logic, Disney geeks would see Swarms queue half full and think "Oh that'll only be like 15 minutes" when in reality it's 50. You can't compare an idea that it looks "short" because other rides with the same queue length are only 10 minute queues. It doesn't work.

It's not fine, and people aren't happy queueing that.  I saw lots of unhappy faces in the queue when I was in it, and that was when it was 45 minutes (for just the final corner of the queueline I add).  Also, if you read reviews of the maze on social media, a lot of them complain about queueing a long time and that it wasn't worth it.

Yes, high throughput rides get long queues, but that's unavoidable when the park is busy, but at least they are doing their best to reduce them as much as possible.  If the queue was 85 minutes on a day when everything else was under 30, I dread to think what it is going to reach in the summer.  I know it is a new attraction and I wasn't expecting low queues, but the speed of that queue was an absolute joke and I'd go as far to say that it's the lowest throughput attraction I've ever experienced, it can't have been doing more than 200pph on the day in question which is not good enough, especially in a park which already struggles with throughputs on a lot of its attractions.

With regards to the lack of roof theming...

I think it's natural to 'look up' when in the maze; you're in a jungle with trees and such, it's something people will do.  It's definitely disappointing that they didn't disguise it.  But when I first went through it and noticed it, I didn't actually care.  I was having fun within the maze and it didn't detract from my experience really.  It certainly would have added to my experience if the ceiling was themed, but we have what we have I guess.

Exactly. I'm not going to go Oh my that tornado room was really fun! (looks up) Damn, I feel absolutely horrible now.

No.

Especially the general public. You talk about people with grumpy faces, you'd be surprised at how many of those were probably resting faces. the queue time is clearly seen as well, and our batcher was even calling it out every 5 minutes. 

Anyway, the queue was definitely worth the experience. We had at least 10 minutes in there, and you knew you were in there a while but it didnt feel like you got dragged along. So I'd much rather wait longer for this, and know my experience is longer, and I still find it fun, then wait the same for a 50 second ride.

Exactly. I'm not going to go Oh my that tornado room was really fun! (looks up) Damn, I feel absolutely horrible now.

No.

Especially the general public. You talk about people with grumpy faces, you'd be surprised at how many of those were probably resting faces. the queue time is clearly seen as well, and our batcher was even calling it out every 5 minutes.

Anyway, the queue was definitely worth the experience. We had at least 10 minutes in there, and you knew you were in there a while but it didnt feel like you got dragged along. So I'd much rather wait longer for this, and know my experience is longer, and I still find it fun, then wait the same for a 50 second ride.

The thing is, for me, I don't find walking under a cargo net with a fan blowing air at you remotely thrilling, sure its a bit of fun but not something I would want to queue for. If they had pulled off the feeling of being touched by bugs well (e.g. "cobwebs" with "spiders" on that you have to walk through) then I might have found the experience more exciting, but for an IP which focuses on bugs I didn't at any stage feel remotely scared, which as someone who hates insects, bugs and spiders, I should have done.

The fact that the maze is a themed experience means that the roof shouldn't be visible, but that wasn't the full reason for me not rating the attraction highly, just a contributing factor.

Went on this for the first time last week (really couldn't be bothered with it beforehand - especially reading mixed reviews plus the dire throughputs) - I was expecting it to be realllllly bad so was pleasantly surprised.  Ok it could be better but the theming (or what I saw) was brilliant. 

The waiting time is a tad annoyig but I guess you are in there for a wee while which sort of makes up for it - however, I don't think it is for people who are seriously unfit and can barely see in the dark.  I need to start eating carrots because the lighting in there was so dim I could barely see a thing - got to the point where I was in that room with the ropey bits and grabbed hold of some random persons head(!) - then all noise disappeared and I couldn't find my way out so was verging on a panic attack until one of the actors appeared to guide me out (a tad embarrasing) - then I cut my knee from scrambling on the floor and got stuck down the slide due to my stupidly sticky shoes.

So yeah, all in all, a lot better than I thought it would be - though I doubt I will do it again - almost had an asthma attack at the end!

• 2 weeks later...

Did the new and improved maze today, and I liked it. The execution works well and having one actor guide you round certainly adds to the experience. All the effects seemed to be working and I noticed a couple that weren't around in March too.

I feel like it's improved the life span on the maze, as it surely requires less actors, but worry what the throughput is like at the moment. Thorpe have clearly taken feedback on board though since they aren't utilizing all of the original maze's routes and tasks, and have opted for new ideas. They were asking for feedback at the exit too, so hopefully the attraction will end up being tweaked with here and there.

• 2 weeks later...

Experienced this for the first time today and here are my thoughts:

- they need to sort out the loop on the music, it sounds terrible

- throughputs are ridiculous? Lots of people leaving the queue because of wait times

- theming is fantastic

- the video is dragged out in the beginning

- the holes thing was fun

- the challenge where you answers the q should be the highlight, it was just too short

- the second to last one where you team up to get stars is a waste of time, should be cut

- last challenge is pretty fun, although, the slide is definitely not slippery enough

Probably wouldn't do it again unless was with a decent group of friends. I like how they incorporate stars into the end and I feel they've done the best they can with it

First in today and was my second try after experiancing it on opening night so three months had gone by

I must say I feel it has been improved so much! Only one actor took us through and stayed with us the whole time and there was no cringy stops on the bridge so on so on ...

More trials this time

Only one round in the chambers but things did drop in all my friends and my chambers

You actually collected stars in most trials rather than pushing buttons or pretending

Just overall came out and enjoyed it more than on opening night they have clearly been working hard to make improvments so on but then again this was in the morning and we did not have to wait sooo ... I still think it is not worth queueing for unfortunately but improved nether the less

• 1 month later...

Four months late and I've finally experienced this random attraction for he first time.

When I first heard this addition announced, I was very skeptical on it, as it felt like a rather last minute shoehorned and den as a new attraction for the sake of new attractions especially when some of its older rides (notably Rumba & Loggers) are in a state where much needed TLC is needed!

Then once the theming and previews appeared, I started to warm up to the attraction seeing that quite a lot of effort had been put in to the addition. However when it opened though it came to generally negative reviews with descriptions of "it's a waste of time" and "then I came out wondering what it was all about" which didn't give me much incentive to visit the park between the open meet and MOS.

So I've finally experienced it. What did I think?

I think it's a very interesting, very unique attraction in the park and something very different from the coasters & flats (which generally headline the park currently), you can tell a noticeable amount of effort has been put in to the attraction and for once it does actually feel like you're in a jungle'ish area at times.

The challenges are interesting such as finding the stars in the holes, answering the quiz question and then running through the cyclone (which is quite fun).

I came in expecting it to be the worst attraction in the world; so what did I think when I had finished? It's ok, but just Ok. It's not the best attraction but certainly not the worst (although probably still on the lower end of my favourite rides in the park). I like the thematic elements there and the prospect they are trying to make this more of an experience based attraction (which in some ways works and others doesn't.

criticisms I have on the attraction are mainly aimed at the throughput. Whilst it was quite clear it wasn't going to queue muncher or even a queue eater (as I haven't heard of ir seen a high throughout maze), but one is clearly a queue dribbler as it takes a very long time for people to get in the maze and even then, the groups were bit bigger than 8 and with these groups entering every 5 minutes or so, I can't see this receiving more than 100 PPH which is extremely low for a park of this position and makes even some of Legland's rides look like queue munchers. We waited at least 15 minutes at the start of the day and the during the weekend the queue averaged at 55 minutes.

To fix this problem, I could possibly say what they could do would be to either increase group sizes, I.E make it go from 8 to 12 people or even to play the ant and deck video before the ride begins, but that might detract the experience a but however.

Matt Creek rating 6/10

Ok attraction with many flaws, however is still a better ride than Storm Surge

No word of a lie, I went in this for the third time on a random Tuesday in June and for some reason the actors were trying to make it scary? There was so much more build up and then they started trying to make us jump the whole time. Example- when I was in one of the chambers, an actor came in through the back and whispered creepily in my ear then just stood there way too close- made me jump like mad because I wasn't mentally prepared for them to be trying scare tactics in I'm a Celeb! Then someone jumped out from around the corner and threw a toy snake right in my face as I came down the slide hahahaha was the weirdest thing! Also happened again when I came into the shop after going on inferno...

Anyhow, been in it since and all such madness has stopped... Everyone I went in with agreed it was really strange though! xD

No word of a lie, I went in this for the third time on a random Tuesday in June and for some reason the actors were trying to make it scary? There was so much more build up and then they started trying to make us jump the whole time. Example- when I was in one of the chambers, an actor came in through the back and whispered creepily in my ear then just stood there way too close- made me jump like mad because I wasn't mentally prepared for them to be trying scare tactics in I'm a Celeb! Then someone jumped out from around the corner and threw a toy snake right in my face as I came down the slide hahahaha was the weirdest thing! Also happened again when I came into the shop after going on inferno...

I had things like this back in my absolutely awful run through back in the Easter holidays. They were screaming in our faces, exclaiming we had to "run" and "escape" as "fast as we can". They were also pushing us around down the corridor in order to try and get us out of the maze as fast as possible so they could close up for the day. When I was in the chambers, an actor came in and shouted down my ear; I then got covered in oats and an actor came in doing a wicked laugh and pulled me out of the chambers.

I haven't been in it since April, so I really would be interested to try it again and see the new revised techniques which they have integrated into the attraction in order to improve it. The essential trial run of a different technique I experienced was honestly one of the most rushed and terrible maze experiences I have ever had. The actors didn't even seem to know what they were doing, they were just trying to get us out. I think one of the reasons they tried to make it scary was so you ran away from them which would get you to the exit faster...

I had things like this back in my absolutely awful run through back in the Easter holidays. They were screaming in our faces, exclaiming we had to "run" and "escape" as "fast as we can". They were also pushing us around down the corridor in order to try and get us out of the maze as fast as possible so they could close up for the day. When I was in the chambers, an actor came in and shouted down my ear; I then got covered in oats and an actor came in doing a wicked laugh and pulled me out of the chambers.

I haven't been in it since April, so I really would be interested to try it again and see the new revised techniques which they have integrated into the attraction in order to improve it. The essential trial run of a different technique I experienced was honestly one of the most rushed and terrible maze experiences I have ever had. The actors didn't even seem to know what they were doing, they were just trying to get us out. I think one of the reasons they tried to make it scary was so you ran away from them which would get you to the exit faster...

Oh we weren't rushed though... They seemed to be specifically making it longer! It was at the beginning of the day too and they kept adding new bits and pieces in... So odd haha!

The issue is I don't think they have a CLUE what they're doing and every time I've been through it's been wildly different. I wonder if they're ever gonna get it together!

The issue is I don't think they have a CLUE what they're doing and every time I've been through it's been wildly different. I wonder if they're ever gonna get it together!

You see, this is the thing I love about the attraction the most.  I've done it 6 or 7 times now, and every time, it's been quite different.  It makes it 're-rideable', since you're never totally sure what to expect.  Unlike with horror mazes, say, where you know roughly what will happen, I'm a Celeb seems to keep you on your toes, meaning it's great for regulars, but also the quality is about the same for new-timers.  The changes are also quite cheap as well, so it's not like it's a bad thing to do.

I haven't had a scary run through yet, though I do wonder why they're doing it on an irregular basis.  Find it even stranger that they're doing that now given you usually only have 1 actor guiding you through the entire attraction!

You see, this is the thing I love about the attraction the most. I've done it 6 or 7 times now, and every time, it's been quite different. It makes it 're-rideable', since you're never totally sure what to expect. Unlike with horror mazes, say, where you know roughly what will happen, I'm a Celeb seems to keep you on your toes, meaning it's great for regulars, but also the quality is about the same for new-timers. The changes are also quite cheap as well, so it's not like it's a bad thing to do.

I haven't had a scary run through yet, though I do wonder why they're doing it on an irregular basis. Find it even stranger that they're doing that now given you usually only have 1 actor guiding you through the entire attraction!

Fair play tbh, that's a good point. I mean more like, it doesn't seem like that's their goal you know? While some people may be enjoying the changes, I think it's more that they keep using trial and error for new methods than that they are doing so to entertain people. :P but who am I to judge I've done it in excess of 5 times now haha! Good little attraction (and while odd, the "scary" run through was actually my fave!)

One thing I've noticed in The Sun / Thorpe Park promotion currently being advertised on TV is how they now refer to the attraction as the 'I'm a Celebrity Experience', rather than the 'I'm a Celebrity Maze'.  A very small point to raise I know, but many - including myself - were worried calling it a maze rather than an experience / attraction wouldn't reflect fairly on the attraction and cause false hopes, so it's nice to see this subtle change in the marketing of it in my opinion. :)

Had another great run through yesterday, walked up to it thinking it was closed as there was no one at all queueing and the staff were hid under the canopy... Probably had something to do with the rain ;) anyways there was 6 of us and they let us in to the seating preshow area and then after a short while said actually apologies we may have to ask you to wait back outside until there is 10 people, we can't run it without 10 people and you're not allowed to wait in here... Which I thought was extremely odd, anyway luckily 4 more people turned up just as we got up to leave.

One thing I've noticed in The Sun / Thorpe Park promotion currently being advertised on TV is how they now refer to the attraction as the 'I'm a Celebrity Experience', rather than the 'I'm a Celebrity Maze'. A very small point to raise I know, but many - including myself - were worried calling it a maze rather than an experience / attraction wouldn't reflect fairly on the attraction and cause false hopes, so it's nice to see this subtle change in the marketing of it in my opinion. :)

Yes, the term experience sums up the attraction much better than "maze" did as it is interactive and involves hands on activities unlike Thorpe's Halloween mazes.

Also because it's not a maze!

So I went on I'm a celebrity again yesterday, first time I had been on it since April. It was a lot different, and a lot better as there were new challenges.

The throughput however seemed even worse than last time, I counted a group of 10 every 6 minutes giving it a throughput of 100. With half being Fast track/disabled this meant the main queue had a throughput of 50 people an hour!

The only thing I didn't really like was the fact that you only have 1 actor taking you round the whole time. It just means your experience every time changes every more than it already did. The actor we had yesterday was no were near as good as previous actors I've seen in there, and was putting no effort into it.

A very strange incident also happened with our actor which ruined the experience. The people who I was with have emailed the park. 

So I went on I'm a celebrity again yesterday, first time I had been on it since April. It was a lot different, and a lot better as there were new challenges.

The throughput however seemed even worse than last time, I counted a group of 10 every 6 minutes giving it a throughput of 100. With half being Fast track/disabled this meant the main queue had a throughput of 50 people an hour!

The only thing I didn't really like was the fact that you only have 1 actor taking you round the whole time. It just means your experience every time changes every more than it already did. The actor we had yesterday was no were near as good as previous actors I've seen in there, and was putting no effort into it.

A very strange incident also happened with our actor which ruined the experience. The people who I was with have emailed the park.

Didn't think fastrack was sold for iac - last time I was there all the signs had been removed.