Plopsaland de Panne

Benin

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

According to Loopings the park’s joint suspended coaster De  Vleermuis will be closing this month. Capacity and reliability are the main reasons for the closure with the ride mentioned to be sold to a park outside Europe.

Seems a bit of shame to spite these but from things I’ve heard I’m not overly surprised. Never got to experience this. Was it any good?

The main reason it spent 2 seasons SBNO was because they wanted to sell it and didn't want to spend the money maintaining it.  But no one wanted it, so I guess they had to spend the money to convince someone to buy it.  I'm surprised they didn't just send it to one of their smaller parks, or even the new Polish Plopsa park opening this year..

Glad I got them for the cred count.  They're meh at best, though you do get some nice freedom on the upper body which is uncommon on suspended/inverted coasters.

Looopings only mention that the park plan on replacing they're indoor boat ride with a new indoor ride in the next few years (god knows why, it's fine and charming imo - and the park needs another dark ridd), so it doesn't seem like the space occupied by these will be put to use for anything of note.  Bit of a shame.

To add fuel to the fire, the director of the park has said that the park will add something of note in 2020, to help celebrate the park's 20th anniversary.  Whether that be a Forest of Plop replacement, Bat replacement or something else is unknown.

The hotel, which was ambitiously stated to open at the end of this year, still hasn't started construction yet.  So I guess there's a possibility that hotel will end up opening in 2020 - hopefully it's not just that...

• 8 months later...

*chokes on dust from topic*

Plopsaland is doing a lot of retheming next year. Their big thing is changing the rapids into a dinosaur paradise thing, currently called Dino Splash...

dino-splash.jpg

The park are spending 5 million Euros on this retheme, which will feature moving dinosaurs and special effects. It's not clear how the nearby powered coaster, Dragon, which partially goes through the area, will be affected, but there's a possibility that will receive some new stuff too. The ride will reopen in around July 2019.

On top of that, they're retheming the Rollerskater, which has just had a generic 'everything around you is supersized' style since opening, into a K3 ride - one of Studio 100's most popular IPs, a Belgian/Dutch pop group. The surrounding area will be transformed into a K3 land. This should be ready for start of season:

1.jpg?1

With a new land and coaster coming in 2020, talks of a big dark ride and a hotel in the pipeline too, it's clear that Studio 100 have the money and the drive to get Plopsa as the number 1 Belgian theme park.

I don't like how the K3 stuff is just a re-purpose of the OVER-SIZED themeing... They could do a lot more... Like what's being done to the the Log Flume...

Which I'm not a big fan of either, as it's going to clash RIDICULOUSLY with the castle and Heidi areas...

• 7 months later...

Dino Splash update...

In a slightly concerning repeated trend from Plopsaland, Dino Splash won't be ready when the park planned. The park plan to reopen the log flume in July still, but the theming won't be finished; in particular, it won't include any dinosaurs or effects, and some of the rock work will be incomplete.

Pictures:

050519dino7.jpg

050519dino13.jpg

050519dino10.jpg

Still looking good though!

The rest of the theming will be completed over winter and the finished ride will open in 2020.

Speaking of 2020, the park had planned to open their hotel, as well as a new area themed with a dark ride and a kiddie coaster around one of their key characters, Bumba the Clown then. This was to celebrate the park's 20 year anniversary. The hotel is still scheduled to open in 2020, but the Bumba area has now been pushed back to 2021.

Plopsa have been ambitious with their new additions and expansions in recent years, but have seen many delays. Heidi was meant to open in 2016, but was pushed back to 2017. Their hotel was meant to open end of 2018, but obviously pushed back to 2020. Now with a half-finished retheme (which tbf, does still look good), a delayed big new area and a themed hotel which is meant to open in a year but has had no work started yet, it makes you wonder if they're being too ambitious..

• 1 month later...

Cohesion isn't necessary imo. I'd rather have a nicely themed ride than a half-arsed themed area. 

Admittedly, it's odd of the park to do this after focusing on areas a bit more (Maya the Bee land, Heidi area and K3 land in particular), but I don't have a problem with it. I'm still a bit confused why they haven't gone for an IP for the retheme, though not complaining!

• 1 month later...

Looopings are reporting that Plopsaland are considering introducing a Mack Xtreme Spinning Coaster, perhaps for 2022: https://www.looopings.nl/weblog/11992/Plopsaland-heeft-plannen-voor-extreme-nieuwe-achtbaan.html

The park are planning on opening the finished version of Dino Splash (rethemed log flume) and a hotel next year, and a new kids area with kiddie cred and dark ride in 2021. But with Belgian parks investing heavily and being very competitive lately (Walibi Belgium resurgence, Bobbejaanland actually investing, Bellewaerde ticking along nicely), the park seem to want to focus on introducing more thrill rides too, to complement Anubis and family-thrill Heidi.

Certainly would be great to see one of these in Europe, and would be a fantastic and diverse addition to the park. Hopefully it does happen!

• 1 month later...

And it's confirmed!!

Okay, not officially official, but they're getting a big coaster, have used a picture of a Mack Xtreme Spinner and have been rumoured to get one. All but official.

They're getting their new kiddie area and kiddie cred in 2022 now (instead of next year), and accomodation stuff in 2020 and 2023.

Really great investment from the park, and a huge coaster in 2021 puts them in direct competition with Walibi Belgium. Exciting times for Belgium! The next Netherlands?

Annnnd plans have been submitted for the Bumba the Clown indoor area:

300919circusbumba1.jpg

The area will include a dark ride (top right), a theatre and some kids rides. No word yet on what the dark ride is exactly.

This is going somewhere between the park's kids land and the entrance area.

It was originally planned for 2020, and was meant to include a kiddie coaster. However, with plans changing and the park now opting for the big coaster in 2021, they have scrapped the kids coaster and are planning on opening this in 2022.

5 minutes ago, Mark9 said:

The lack of excitement for an Xtreme Mack spinner here. Seriously, I'm really hyped for it. Belgium and Netherlands are nailing it right now with the investments.

I genuinely hope we see Belgian parks develop over the next decade like Dutch parks have over the last decade. Plopsaland, Walibi and Bellewaerde all have big companies behind them who aren't afraid to spend money. Bobbejaanland has Parque Reunidos, who can invest well when they put their hands in their pockets. That's an exciting quartet right there.

I don't think it's crazy to suggest that Bobbejaanland or Bellewaerde could introduce a big headline thrill coaster in the next few years to truly compete with Plopsa and Walibi's 2021 investments. Very exciting times.

I reckon Belgium will be the place with the most development in Europe in the next decade, like the Netherlands have been this decade and Germany somewhat around the last. All three countries are actually progressing with their parks.

Walibi and Plopsaland are really pushing the boat out and there’s no denying Bobblejaan and Bellewaerde are also seeing more development too,