Plopsaland de Panne

Benin

And we have some plans...

201019platka1a.jpg

201019platka3.jpg

201019platka999.jpg

Source

So, we have a 34m tall, two launch, 4-5 inversion Mack spinning coaster coming to a park which is like a 45min drive from Calais. Awesome!

It's located next to the park's Mack Supersplash and is partially over water. The lake is used for pedal boats at the moment so I assume this is the end of them.

As much as I'm looking forward to this, given it's in such a prominent location, I hope it doesn't ruin the vibe of the park.

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend I had my first visit to Plopsa, which was certainly one of my more interesting trips this year but maybe not for all the right reasons.

Day started fairly well. Entrance area looks pretty and reminds me a bit of Parc Asterix in some ways. The hotel on the right hand side is coming along nicely. We did the World Of Plop dark ride, which was simply charming and reminded me of attractions such as Dream Flight and Elf Ride. Even Matt Wise liked it.

Sadly things didn’t continue this way as the weather got considerably worse and remained wet and windy for almost the whole day. This resulted in Anubis and Heidi (amongst other attractions) being closed. We did a couple of attractions including the water coaster, which was ok before having a lunch remembered for the wrong reasons.

We chose the Pirate Grill, where we waited ages to get served and there was no clear instructions either. I went for a burger and it was disgusting, thought I was going to be sick eating it. Probably the most expensive yet dreadful park meal I have had to date. Maybe tops P.A now.

We did some other rides including Victor’s race and K3, these were ok with the latter being my favourite “Operating” coaster. We also did another wave surfer type ride and Draak, which took ages to load. Plopsa had some of the worst park operations I have seen, least when I went. Some big rides had just one staff member doing everything. 

The dinosaur flume though is great. I love the theming, scenery and rockwork they have done here and the landscaping around there is great. One of my favourite flume rides out there and probably my favourite thing I did in the park. The teacup castle looks great too. 

As the day went on, we kept checking to see if either major ride were to open, but we were out of luck. They stayed closed almost all day, not only down to poor weather, but they also used their respective areas for scare zones. This doesn’t seem logical. The one around Heidi was the better of the two scare zones, but they were both poor and make last year’s Fright Night mazes look like Tulleys Farm. 

we left the park an hour early in the end as there wasn’t any reason to stay as we’d done everything else we wanted. 

I don’t know if I have been very unlucky, but I was somewhat disappointed by Plopsa when I visited. The park had it’s redeeming features, but there were so many negatives too, including operations, quality and experience. Despite this I will probably go back again one day, but not until they open the spinner. Maybe I’m in the minority here.

AFA671EF-E821-4CE6-A8C7-0A68E45D3301.thumb.jpeg.a0839a39d4b9b55db7fd591d31c402d6.jpeg
Least we had Peaj’s teacup though.

On 11/10/2019 at 11:40 PM, Wicker Matt said:

We chose the Pirate Grill, where we waited ages to get served and there was no clear instructions either. I went for a burger and it was disgusting, thought I was going to be sick eating it. Probably the most expensive yet dreadful park meal I have had to date. Maybe tops P.A now.

I have never had a problem with the food at Plopsa parks (Pirate Grill was decent during my visits), but I agree it's very expensive. Especially given how bog-standard the options are, it's crazy how costly the food options are/

As the day went on, we kept checking to see if either major ride were to open, but we were out of luck. They stayed closed almost all day, not only down to poor weather, but they also used their respective areas for scare zones. This doesn’t seem logical. The one around Heidi was the better of the two scare zones, but they were both poor and make last year’s Fright Night mazes look like Tulleys Farm. 

Heidi does have operating conditions which means it can't operate after 6pm anyways (noise and all that), so that'd be one reason. I guess the other reason being it makes sense to have the scare zones by the scariest rides.

I don’t know if I have been very unlucky, but I was somewhat disappointed by Plopsa when I visited. The park had it’s redeeming features, but there were so many negatives too, including operations, quality and experience. Despite this I will probably go back again one day, but not until they open the spinner. Maybe I’m in the minority here.

I'd say bad luck is definitely one thing; anyone would struggle to enjoy any park when their two major attractions are closed. With Plopsaland that issue is highlighted all the more for us as enthusiasts since they're really the only two decent thrill rides there. They do suffer with weather related downtime quite a bit too since they're so close to the ocean (less than 2 miles!). It's really crazy.

Plopsa had some of the worst park operations I have seen, least when I went. Some big rides had just one staff member doing everything. 

This is the one thing which really sticks out to me though. I've visited Plopsaland 3 times, and never had any issues with the operations. Everything was simple, quick and efficient. One man ops is incredibly common on many (bigger) rides in Europe. A shame it wasn't great - I hope it was just an off day partially down to the weather and such rather than something that's becoming the norm.

Sounds like one of those days, spite and cred anxiety never help trips...

I've never had issues with food either, but I'm usually scoffing one of their BBQ sausages in the entrance..  I did try the pasta once and it was adequate... Think I've heard similar things from others mind...

The 6pm thing with Heidi actually makes more sense now that I think about it, especially with all the issues they had with it before it was scheduled to open. Probably also why they put a Scarezone there too. 

I guess every so often we will get that park where we are heavily spited of rides that are a major draw for us and me so far, Plopsa has been that park. I was really hoping to get Heidi and Anubis, but had to leave accepting the Flume was my favourite and being spited two major Creds. 

chances are, I probably visited on one of their more supposed off days purely because of the weather. I will give them another chance one day given I have only experienced 60-70% of what the park can offer. 

the Bratwursts were apparently noticeably better.

9 hours ago, JoshC. said:

I have never had a problem with the food at Plopsa parks (Pirate Grill was decent during my visits), but I agree it's very expensive. Especially given how bog-standard the options are, it's crazy how costly the food options are/

The food really was diabolical, all of us there pretty much thought the same, especially the Pirate Grill. €21 for a drink and burger (if you can call it that) and chips.

And €3 for a CAN yes CAN of coke is daylight robbery, and to top it all they add 20 cents (so actually €3.20) on without telling you you get it back for recycling the can!

19 minutes ago, Mattgwise said:

And €3 for a CAN yes CAN of coke is daylight robbery, and to top it all they add 20 cents (so actually €3.20) on without telling you you get it back for recycling the can!

The recycling tax is very common (maybe even law?) in a lot of western European countries. Not something that's really advertised as it's taken for granted.

• 1 month later...

Looks like a great coaster for sure. 6-7 inversions (depending on if the Banana Roll counts as 1 or 2) is mental really.

I stand by my earlier point from when the plans came out re the fact that this will completely change the feel of Plopsaland. This is a monster of a coaster going over a lake pretty much in the centre of the park. Plopsa is quite a quaint park as it is, so this could really ruin that, and I'm not sure I'm ready for this.

• 5 months later...

Foots have been placed:

j25kgd5gkojhi.jpg

gtfuagbwil8.jpg

Various sources, but these came via Coasterforce.

Hard to know how much work will take place whilst the park is open given this is almost slap bang in the middle of the park and would almost definitely require the closures of pathways and the like for construction to continue.

Still really not keen on the location of this.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
9 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Track is complete:

Their Spinning Sunday series (of which this video is the 9th) is worth a look for loads of updates of construction.

The more I look at this, the more I share your dislike of the location as it really will wreck the current feel of that lake.

Nonetheless, whilst I find this and Time Traveller to look very gimmicky, this certainly looks to be a good solid edition to the coaster scene on the continent and seems a good fun coaster.

Its all about now if it has a NINETY FIVE FOOT TALL LOOP!!*

*god that Time Traveller announcement video was something else

• 3 weeks later...