Hyperia - New for 2024

Mysterio Ka

• 2 months later...
23 minutes ago, CharlieN said:

^ They won't because of Saw, and  it will be hard to market the steep drop with another steeper one in the same park.

Same goes for flyer = Swarm, launch = stealth and any kind of suspended = Inferno really.

3 minutes ago, Equoaster said:

If a hyper is too big then a good flying coaster would be perfect, it could be similar to Manta (my #2) and would be huge success.

Would a vertical loop be possible for a flyer? Potential for a world's first right there.

1 minute ago, MilesK said:

But if they put VR on it... 

Don't start lol, you'll give them ideas!

47 minutes ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Would a vertical loop be possible for a flyer? Potential for a world's first right there.

Well, I'm not sure about a worlds first...

image.jpeg

But that doesn't mean they're not allowed to include one, but it must have a pretzel loop because it's my favourite inversion as well as being a favourite inversion for other people.

For flying coasters to have loops, the train must be inside the element in order to not put to much pressure on riders. Hence why Flying Dutchman's loops are always inside he track - so you start on your back.

Also, here's my thing with launch coasters, I do think Thorpe could get one, even considering Stealth. If they branded Stealth as a launch coaster with a sudden large acceleration then that to me differs greatly from a mack mega (for example) with an LSM which is a more gradual launch.

Therefore, that means they could still get other coasters with launches. For example, a mack mega, if it was advertised as having 5 inversions, 12 airtime moments and a terrain hugging layout would be seen as a coaster that utilises a launch to gain speed rather than a "launch coaster".

People seem to think that launch coasters are 1 type of roller coaster, and that parks should only have one. Well, in fact launches are simply a Method of achieving kinetic energy and can be seen an alternative to a lift hill. That said, you wouldn't call a type of coaster a lift hill coaster if it had a lift hill and you certainly wouldn't say parks should only have one lift hill coaster, so I don't see why it would be any different for launches. 

And @Mattgwise , I agree there, but that is considering the fact that they have dozens of coasters. If Thorpe ever gets a collection as large as CP's I do think eventually they will get another steep drop coaster. But I doubt that  will ever happen!

8 hours ago, Equoaster said:

Well, I'm not sure about a worlds first...

image.jpeg

But that doesn't mean they're not allowed to include one, but it must have a pretzel loop because it's my favourite inversion as well as being a favourite inversion for other people.

I meant one where the riders are still in the flying position instead of on their backs.

5 hours ago, Project LC said:

It's more to do with the force required to keep the train on the track. The top wheel axels would have to take possibly more than 4 times the trains weight in tension where as inside the loop its on the normal wheels in compression. Also it would be uncomfortable to be forced into the restraint.

But surely it's exactly the same force to keep it on the track as an inverted, and plenty of those have loops?

A flyer is much heavier than an invert. The trains weight doesn't just have the restraints and seats but also the mechanism to stay in the fly position. I do believe the weight difference is so much that a flyers track has to be a larger gauge so it can deal with the weight.

Also for rider comfort on a invert you are forced into the seat whereas a flyer you would be forced into the restraint.

Now, I love speculation, and due to my recent boredom I have created an image of how a megalite may look on the Island behind The Swarm.

This image is to scale and is a clone of the Intamin Mega lite ride model (In this case, Piraten at Djurs Sommerland). Whilst it is very shoddily done, I realised that this could potentially be built and only fill the front section of the island, so that the backsection would be free for rides/shops/a plaza Etc.

White is the lift hill:

image.jpeg

It'll be interesting what the next MTDP shows, and if they look at going over the standard 850 metre limit for coasters. Will also be interesting to see what thy highlight Loggers as, assuming that any plans for it happen after this year/early next.

I'd still love a proper woodie. 

2009woodie5.jpg

Anyway this could fit on that island behind Swarm? If not, a nice big GCI there please, or a family thrill one around the Loggers route if that does go. Tah.

I wonder if they would struggle with a woodie over that side of the park - the rides over there are the closest to local residents where as where the woodie was originally planned had the main roads between them and the rides.

Although I'm basing that on the noise of the woodies I've been on none of which are a "newer" kind!

While I don't know the detail of the politics within Merlin, if the Alton woodie goes ahead would they really be willing to let their biggest 'competitor' steal their thunder and dilute their uniqueness just a year or two after they opened theirs? Seems unlikely to me, which makes it even more of a shame that Altons plan doesn't look to be what I would like or what I believe the public in this country needs to see what modern wood can do.

• JoshC. changed the title to Hyperia - New for 2024
  • JoshC. pinned this topic