15 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Time.

BOE - Face of Boe

Time

"xplained"...ex...Exterminate 

Time.

Time.

BBC DW...BBC Doctor Who. 

Cool. We get it. You're trying to say this will be themed around Doctor Who. 

Maybe either come out and say it or try and actually add to the conversation next time ey?

I feel like I've gone in the Tardis because this feels like I've gone back 7 years when people were saying Ghost Train was going to be a Doctor Who IP...

I love Doctor Who. it's my favourite TV series. I own every classic story on dvd and am getting them all now on blu ray in collection boxsets. I've loved every doctor, yes even Jodie Whittaker. 

Even I know Doctor Who is no where near cool enough for Thorpe Park. 

I sincerely hope it’s not Doctor bloody Who.. or any IP for that matter.

Thorpe have been kidding themselves since 2009, trying a thousand different IPs which just haven’t worked out.

I hope they drop the IP fad now.
Apart from Saw, It hasn’t worked. Original themes are so much better!

Good news to hear there has been mention of Slammer and surrounding buildings being sorted.

53 minutes ago, Inferno said:

I hope they drop the IP fad now.
Apart from Saw, It hasn’t worked. Original themes are so much better!

In fairness, I'd say it had the mid term hit at Fright Nights when they introduced the Lionsgate mazes, but they didn't capitalise on it enough. 

However, I do agree - they've been trying to get lightning to strike twice after the success of Saw, and it simply hasn't worked.

38 minutes ago, Matt N said:

Why do we think they’re not aiming to get back to the 2009-2011 peak?

In part, I expect they are saying this to appease locals who are concerned about traffic levels. They want to go "we're investing in something new, it's to stop us losing guests, not to get us more guests". The logic being that people are coming but not coming back, and a new ride is needed to get them to come back.

Another reason to say this is simply because it's not realistic. In 2019 (the last year we can accurately compare with), the park were over 500,000 visitors short of that number. There's very little chance that any ride would bring that extra number of people in.

38 minutes ago, Matt N said:

Did the park experience any significant problems during this period or anything?

I mean, the park was very busy every peak day. There were no significant problems, but I think it should be remembered that operating at that level continuously then requires more staff, more maintenance, etc. I'm not saying the park were struggling to cope then, but I think given the current set up of the park, they would struggle if they did get half a million extra visitors in one year. Any park at a similar scale to Thorpe would too.

I mentioned a few weeks back a Time Traveller / Ride to Happiness style ride would work so well at Thorpe.  I’m trying to figure out if the height of this ride would be too intense for a next gen Mac Spinner.  But the track elements would work, and there are hints at a Time Machine theme, maybe with a Western/Steam Punk area.  I’m just speculating. 

• JoshC. changed the title to Project Exodus - New for 2024 (Hopefully)
  • JoshC. pinned this topic

I know that this seems like a random thing to ask, but; is there a possibility that Exodus may actually end up being the final ride name?

I only ask because I know there's a precedent for Thorpe doing this (Stealth started out as "Project Stealth"), and I personally quite like Exodus as a ride name; it has a real ring to it!

Haha love it!

The ride experience is then just a literal train crash in the station before even reaching the lift hill, but it all being deemed ok due to it being “better this way”.

Also the shop at the end will have no staff and be empty due to supply chain issues.

And don’t forget - at 11:00, 14:00 and 16:00 daily there will also be a fight in the loggers lake with some french fisherman 🤷‍♂️

Going back to the name, I hope we see a simple, crude name that milks the height.

There's the likes of Fury 325 and Intimidator 305, for example, which have their height included in the name. This exists in part to take the UK height record, something which is very hard to envision being broken any time soon (after all, Big One's record will have stood for 30 years by the time this opens).

Something along the lines of Rampage 236, Bolt 236 or whatever. Just a simple noun followed by the height to get it across. It's not something that lends itself to a heavily themed ride, but then, this isn't the type of ride that needs that.

It's funny, because in the past, I've never liked the ideas of names like that. But I dunno, it just feels like it fits for this.

On a side note, why is it that everyone is expecting this to be incredibly intense, out of interest? I'll admit that the more I look at the layout, the more I'm not personally seeing it myself; don't get me wrong, I'm sure Exodus will be a great ride that'll be great fun and really well-received, I am excited for it, and I think it'll be a great addition, but I'm not sure that it'll be overly intense or an absolute airtime machine, personally.

I know it's both tall in height and fairly short in ride duration as far as hyper coasters go, but a lot of the elements seem very high and drawn-out (all the big inversions/elements pre-splashdown didn't seem too far from the lift height based on the images I saw), which leads me to believe that a fair bit of momentum could be burned off negotiating them, and at those elements' highest points, there won't be a ton of speed, or at least, not blisteringly fast pacing. I remember reading the comments of the most recent (and often considered to be most accurate) NL2 recreation of the plans, and the only part of the ride pre-splashdown that the creator described as having "strong ejector" was the first drop; they described there being strong ejector on the first drop, moderate airtime exiting the immelmann, floater on the outerbank and hangtime in the dive loop. Admittedly, they did describe the outerbank and final hill after the splashdown as having "STUPID ejector" (I believe this is where the alleged -1.8G came from), but this was without any kind of trim or equivalent speed removing device; my personal suspicion is that the splashdown could be akin to Diamondback's or SheiKra's, where the ride scoops the water out of the lake and shaves some speed off the train. I'm sure you'll still get decent airtime there, but I don't think it'll be quite as strong as some are expecting.

I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here; I'm as excited as anyone to see this take shape, I think it could ride very well, and given the brief, site and budget, I'm not sure they could really have done any better! However, I'm not sure that I'm quite subscribing to the belief that it'll be obscenely intense or an absolute airtime machine from start to finish, personally. Don't get me wrong, it seems like it'll have a fair bit of airtime in places (more than most, possibly all, current UK coasters), but perhaps controversially, I don't think it looks to be an absolute airtime machine myself; other sensations look to take centre stage, with the airtime more being sprinkled in as a side dish. Or at very least, it doesn't look like a coaster designed solely with the purpose of delivering airtime in the same vein of many other hyper coasters.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing by any means (it certainly makes the ride stand out compared to other hypers!), but that's just my personal take.

Sorry to double post, but I've actually been having a look at Old Town on Google Street View, and that made me realise that even if they don't retheme Old Town when Exodus opens, it will totally change the dynamic of that entire section of the park to a far greater extent than I'd previously anticipated... currently, Saw & Colossus absolutely tower over the section where Exodus is going, and Exodus will be more than twice the size of either...heck, every element before the splashdown is taller than the highest point on either!

Looking at the concept images, you think it's just going to be another coaster on the skyline, but when you actually look at the area and visualise the ride there... this is going to look nothing short of absolutely monstrous, and I'll admit that does rather excite me! I know size isn't everything by any means, but it must be said that in my opinion, pure size does add something to a ride's presence!

• JoshC. changed the title to Hyperia - New for 2024