Hyperia - New for 2024

Mysterio Ka

47 minutes ago, Matt N said:

I wouldn’t expect a hugely elaborate theme for this. Very few hyper coasters are heavily themed; they’re such big rides that it’s quite hard to theme them effectively, and the expense of building the ride hardware alone is huge.

I’d expect something along the lines of Mako at SeaWorld, where it has a light theme and style and a couple of nice little items, but nothing overly elaborate. And to be honest, I’d be perfectly happy with that.

Yeah exactly, I wouldn't expect anything too big and glamourous (other than the coaster itself! 😍) as it simply just doesn't need it. The coaster is a statement in itself, it really doesn't need much else. Not saying that I think it would be a bad thing to have a massively themed hyper, quite the opposite in fact, but having the UK's tallest coaster will be enough of a crowd pleaser. The layout still leaves quite a lot to be desired (mostly because of its length), but what we do have on the layout is going to make for an immense coaster experience regardless.

Think anyone expecting a heavily themed Egyptian thing is adding 2+2 and getting 5.

Especially considering the plans state a timber finish to the station. Timber does not scream Egyptian to me personally. 

Plus the plans don't show much in terms of theming elements or structures. Would be very optimistic for this to be any more than stylised with the coaster being the focus. 

Don’t think anyone should expect heavily themed. 

Like I said I expect something similar to Stealth in terms of theming. You get the idea of the theme but the coaster isn’t themed itself.  As we know there is some sort of a theme for exodus.

Personally, I just really didn’t want something like icon. Because when people say “stylised” that’s what icon has always been described as. 

I don’t know if anyone can shed any light on the subject. However to me, it seems like Thorpe theming wise and for the smaller scale stuff they can do whatever they want regardless of permission. E.g Playground, demolishment of the old depth charge photo unit.

Seems like they could add in some theming to complement the area? I’m not expecting massive swarm ambulances. Just smaller scale bits of physical theming.

45 minutes ago, ML27 said:

Don’t think anyone should expect heavily themed. 

Like I said I expect something similar to Stealth in terms of theming. You get the idea of the theme but the coaster isn’t themed itself.  As we know there is some sort of a theme for exodus.

Personally, I just really didn’t want something like icon. Because when people say “stylised” that’s what icon has always been described as. 

I don’t know if anyone can shed any light on the subject. However to me, it seems like Thorpe theming wise and for the smaller scale stuff they can do whatever they want regardless of permission. E.g Playground, demolishment of the old depth charge photo unit.

Seems like they could add in some theming to complement the area? I’m not expecting massive swarm ambulances. Just smaller scale bits of physical theming.

So you're saying we shouldn't expect OzIris excessive theming then =(

Only 2 of Thorpe’s major coasters are heavily themed. Everything else is really just stylised to fit within the areas, so this is in keeping with the majority of the parks coaster line up. The original concept art had me expected bland modernism so I’ll take what I can get 

Whatever theme/style they're going for, it's obviously going to be very light. There's no major theming pieces in the plans. The station building is very simple. That's not to say there'll be no theming, but it's simply going to be minimal. That's fine with a coaster like this too imo.

I don't think an Egyptian theme does it for me. Something like that could work well at Thorpe, but not for this. This ride is ALL about the height, tacking on some Egyptian hieroglyphics and whatever doesn't hit the spot for me.

Some sort of soaring bird over nature would be much better. Simple, easy to understand, makes sense. Just ticks all the boxes.

I still think a mountain theme is on the table to be honest. The original concept art that appeared was mostly yellow, which could suggest the gold I guess and it looked very much themed around mountain. I just don’t really think an egyptian theme will do it unless the ride is heavily themed, which for a coaster this tall is almost impossible. 

I’m not as sure that it’s an Egyptian theme anymore as I was the otherday. 

However, if it were it would fit in with “lost city” and yes I know they don’t do lands anymore apparently.

I can’t find the concept art but when Colossus was being planned, the original plan was to have the station themed to a pyramid. 

Colossus is a good comparison, heavily themed? No, but do you get the theme? Yes! No one rides it for it’s theming and it’s main draw is that it’s a 10 inversion rollercoaster.

10 hours ago, ML27 said:

I can’t find the concept art but when Colossus was being planned, the original plan was to have the station themed to a pyramid. 

Colossus is a good comparison, heavily themed? No, but do you get the theme? Yes! No one rides it for it’s theming and it’s main draw is that it’s a 10 inversion rollercoaster.

Was the plan to stylise the exterior of the X:/ No Way Out pyramid as part of this?

Besides, the coaster that now is The Walking Dead: The Ride would probably have made a decent Egyptian tomb themed ride.

33 minutes ago, Paultons Parkway said:

Was the plan to stylise the exterior of the X:/ No Way Out pyramid as part of this?

Besides, the coaster that now is The Walking Dead: The Ride would probably have made a decent Egyptian tomb themed ride.

I can never understand why Thorpe don’t have the pyramid repainted to be more in keeping. But your right transforming it into an Egyptian tomb would be the best use of what is otherwise an eyesore on the skyline. If done right it could look really impressive…

1 hour ago, ML27 said:

FAC5801C-1E86-4FDE-8E48-ECDAFB0BBE0A.thumb.jpeg.9da350e4e480a1efc452b96f8ae6bf7f.jpeg

Took me a while but I found it, it wasn’t going to merge with TWD’s building. It was going to be its own thing. See X\: No Way Out behind it in the background 

Looks impressive! What could have been.

At least the X pyramid has been repainted/clad to look the same as Colossus’ station.

12 minutes ago, Wheezy said:

The Book of Exodus in the Bible is where the Israelites leave Egypt - how closely are coasters' working titles usually tied to their final themes?

It varies. Project Stealth ended up being the final name of Stealth, whereas Project Dylan was simply named after the project manager's cat in the case of Saw.

Normally there is some relation, though.

Odyssey for Colossus. Unsure if really links into anything. 

Calypso for Inferno. Named after the area ride was located.

LC12 for Swarm. Linked with end of the world Mayan calendar. Very loose to the final theme.

Doesn't really sway things either way.

14 hours ago, Benin said:

Odyssey for Colossus. Unsure if really links into anything. 

Colossus comes from ancient Greek meaning ‘large statue’. Ancient Greek writer Homer wrote one of the most famous ancient Greek texts ‘The Odyssey’, which tells of a long journey for the Greek hero Odysseus. The whole idea of Lost City and the size of Colossus completely ties in with Ancient Greece and influences from other ancient places. Like Zodiac - obviously names after the astrological zodiac symbols etc - the word itself is derived from Ancient Greek and the modern zodiac concept has strong roots with Hellenistic astrology (around the Ancient Mediterranean/Greece/Roman etc).

Sorry for the sudden odyssey into history, but ‘Project Odyssey’ makes a whole lot of sense with the end product.

find the track, release the curse

wurp waaaw, wurp waaaaw, wurp war war war wurp war war war wurp waaar, wurp waaaar, wurp wur wur wur wurp wur wur wur

I TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE THAT PYRAMID

but you didn't listen

it was in the maze and the maze with more directions has more than can meet the scope

and now boop boop bop bop, boop boop boop bop, bop, waur waur

• JoshC. changed the title to Hyperia - New for 2024