Hyperia - New for 2024

Mysterio Ka

3 hours ago, ML27 said:

Lake looks tiny, I assume that they’ve started to infill parts of the lake or they will open it back up when construction is finished.

Originally was going to be left as is, but plans changed to get planning permission. Most will be re removed and the coaster will be mostly over water. Should be breathtaking 

44 minutes ago, Vinlarr89 said:

Originally was going to be left as is, but plans changed to get planning permission. Most will be re removed and the coaster will be mostly over water. Should be breathtaking 

Excited to see most of the lake filled in in about 10 years or so like they did with Colossus 

8 hours ago, Vinlarr89 said:

On a nice sunny day in the summer it will. I just hope during autumn and rainy days it doesn’t look like a swamp

3 hours ago, Vinlarr89 said:

All depends on the theme I guess

The theme will 100% be something that is rundown, old and rotting. Anything that the park doesn't need to actively maintain. That's all Merlin comes up with when it comes to themes. Just look at World of Jumanji, they can literally let it overgrow naturally, and it will be completely on brand. 

I love seeing the UKs general reaction to project exodus having a lap bar.

The amount of people saying “how’s that safe” or they simply won’t ride it is hilarious. I’m not being funny but it’s because of the way Merlin (and it is just Merlin) have always put otrs on their coasters and this has created this culture because of it.

26 minutes ago, ML27 said:

The amount of people saying “how’s that safe” or they simply won’t ride it is hilarious. I’m not being funny but it’s because of the way Merlin (and it is just Merlin) have always put otrs on their coasters and this has created this culture because of it.

I know, it will be so much better with lap bar too! 

11 hours ago, ML27 said:

I'll give you the Smiler and Saw and thats it. The only other rides I could think of that could have OTSR are Rita, Stealth & Desert Chase and at the time all Intamin accelerators were getting OTSR because of lap-bar concerns on intamin megas.

Colossus also at the time of its construction wouldn't have had the option of OTSR.

Otherwise I think it's just British culture. If you've worked on a ride platform in the UK, you know British people must be some of the most neurotic guests in Europe. Icon for example, worked great when it was just the bar but now with the seatbelt, its had a big effect on capacity.

11 hours ago, ML27 said:

’m not being funny but it’s because of the way Merlin (and it is just Merlin) have always put otrs on their coasters and this has created this culture because of it.

Is it that they've always put OTSRs on their coasters, or that they've chosen coasters which require OTSRs? I think Smiler is the only example where they effectively had a choice between OTSRs and lapbars.

You could argue in the past they were consciously choosing coasters with OTSRs in part because they had them. But that's a flimsy argument at best. I'd also so the modern lapbar has only come into fashion fully in the last decade, and Merlin simply haven't added that many coasters in the time frame. So it's less that they've created a culture, it's more that they haven't kept up with culture. 

Yeah, I admit both your comments are true. They probably just haven’t built enough modern coasters recently which could have had just a lap bar but then the most recent coasters have been, smiler and saw.

In other news, the site for project exodus is flooded and the lake and the site have become one. To create a mega lake!

17 hours ago, ML27 said:

I definitely am looking too deep into this but maybe just maybe we’ll get a theme on the ride.

I really do hope that the park decide to theme exodus, it's a dissapointment if they don't to be honest. 

No theme to the ride will ruin the impact it has on the park for sure, two of the most popular rides for the GP are Saw and Swarm which is partly due to the fact that both coasters are themed brilliantly. The fact that exodus is the tallest coaster in the UK alone will not be enough to attract the number of the visitors the park would be happy with.

About what themes could actually work with exodus is an entirely different question. I feel with the water feature the range of possible themes is definitly diminished; but then Merlin have been very good with theming in the UK (I'm looking at you especially Towers) so I feel they could definitly pull something outstanding off.

I'm not fussed if it isn't themed. I think thorpe is more suited as an amusement park anyway. I'm just thankful that il have a decent coaster down the road with or without a theme. 

If it is themed please not more run down doom and gloom, though by doing that I guess the neglect all the rides appear to get there will just look a part of the theme. 

I’m not sure I’d necessarily expect theming for Exodus. The planning application stated that “the ride structure itself is the theming” or something along those lines, and hyper coasters are rarely heavily themed anyway.

At most, I’d expect something along the lines of Mako; a light style, but not an especially overbearing theme.

With the type of ride this is, I don’t think a lack of theme should really be an issue; the height record in itself is a big selling point, and as I said, hyper coasters are not a ride type typically known for having heavy theming.

It would be nice if the ride had a mild theme, but at the same time, I wouldn’t overly mind if it had no real theme either. Of the UK Merlin parks, Thorpe Park probably has the least commitment to theme, and with the park’s current focus being on “thrills”, I don't think it really matters for them to head down the amusement park route, personally.

The whole point of this ride should be its height. It's the tallest coaster in the UK, that's its USP and no theme or story will add to that in a meaningful way.

I'd be all for the front car having a cool style (a la Untamed at Walibi, for example), and some stylising in the area (like Fury 325). But beyond that, I don't think theming is necessary. 

What is important though is, regardless of theming, the area is well presented and bright. I don't think another dark, dreary feel is needed.

I’m predicting a very light forest theme, log clad buildings, that sorta thing. Means they won’t have to bother changing the last remaining Old Town buildings that will remain, I.e. the one that will become the shop, the old toilet block, Burger King etc. 

Know themed areas are out the window but I’m sure they’ll still want to keep small areas around rides looking a BIT consistent!

EDIT to add: means they could also get in some Loggers Leap Easter eggs that we know Merlin love!

I don’t think what they said about the areas really is 100% true. I bet they would like to have them and definitely think they are going to aesthetically match areas to fit the vibe.

Makes me laugh, in the dome next to the coffee shop they have the surf boards which have all the different lands in the park still. Relatively minor but in Jacks recent video, even he’s calling them the areas still. 

if we are gonna have any hints towards theme, it would be that poster from Trailers. But that poster is relatively similar to what the site looks now with the trees. 

if they ever wanted to go back down the Canadian route, the landscape definitely fits in.

A small development over on Runnymede planning. 

Thorpe have submitted an application to change a clause in the planning application whereby they can notify the planning department later in the project with regards the external materials of the project. 

Obviously they want to do all they can to keep it under wraps as long as possible. Delaying this until above ground work starts definitely buys them more time. 83A07F17-67E5-468C-BBC7-53770E639437.thumb.jpeg.f76021535bb72fafa35677f11196426e.jpeg

9 hours ago, ML27 said:

I wonder if this is due to enthusiast’s possibly knowing or being an indication into the theme or worst caste style of the area.

They won't request planning changes or anything to stop enthusiasts knowing theme or anything. Simply put, it's not worth the hassle to hide the theme from a small minority of the audience. 

I do feel the enthusiasts do slightly ruin the build up of a new coaster.

I know Thrill Riders mentioned this in a video too but I do truly agree that everything being leaked online by people with drones or people going down monks walk then sharing photos all over the internet almost kills the hype. Think about what towers did with Oblivion, keeping everything a secret until they were ready to reveal to the public what theme and ride they were building. 

I feel parks just cannot do this these days as if they tried to keep stuff a secret it would look poor on their hald with it being posted on social media. To counter this the parks then have to reveal everthing to the public first, meaning there is no secrecy at all when it comes to new coasters, ruining some of the hype.

Hopefully with Exodus, Thorpe try and keep the theme to themselves as long as possible so not everything is ruined before the ride opens.

• JoshC. changed the title to Hyperia - New for 2024