Hyperia - New for 2024

Mysterio Ka

image_zpsg0ynvfcn.png

My 4 most likely areas of development. A is the most likely followed by C then B then D. A look at the 2010 plans shows that the island behind The Swarm is meant to have a 40M height limit, however I believe this will change and it could even increase as The Swarm went below its 50M maximum height meaning that the heights could have swapped since the 2010 submission that can be found on Total Thorpe Park.

As Thorpe starts to run out of space we could start to see things like a S&S 4d free spin in B

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree with the space thing, and I also believe that an S&S 4D free spin would be a good fit for the park considering the cheap vibe. However, it would absolutely block the view you gain upon entering the park. The visuals of Stealth would be ruined and I generally think that coasters are better if on the perimeter of a park, thus creating a contrast from the central food based area.

I would love a woodie on the current Loggers site that weaves in and out the trees and next to the lake. Not too tall and not too fast but still more of a thrill than a family ride and with a theme based on Old Town.

Space B could hold a family boomerang if Thorpe ever wanted to put one in, and a S&S 4d free spin would work there too.

Why does everyone want to get rid of the beach? :'(  

At best, the area needs a bit of a change, and turned into a small fountain show or something.  But it needs to be a nice-to-look-at, non-ride area.  No rides there please.

If Thorpe were to ever invest in a non-major coaster as a medium-sized investment, I'd much rather see them go for a Vekoma junior boomerang, or even a racing pair.  Reasonably small footprint (it could probably replace Samurai, for example, if they used the space correctly), fun for everyone, a bit of variation to the line up, etc.

The beach should go, but be turned into a massive open plaza affair... Maybe a permanent stage, some planters/rockwork, a shop or restaurants or similar...

It would certainly improve initial impressions more than an usually closed beach, and not having it filled with a ride would actually allow some breathing space...

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Equoaster said:

I've said it a billion times but I just desperatly want a B&M hyper.

If they were to build a coaster in this space, would they be allowed to build over the lake and on that extra land around it? Or are they restricted to that island?

A hyper could potentially make use of the park space as well with careful planning - therefore it wouldn't have to be confined to one site.

Thorpe are not allowed to reclaim anymore land because of the water table. 

If you look up the mtdp you can see the land Thorpe has permission for. It also says the heights that can be built to. While they can be renegotiated it is unlikely that they will apply for a ride higher than the stated heights.

1 minute ago, Project LC said:

Thorpe are not allowed to reclaim anymore land because of the water table. 

If you look up the mtdp you can see the land Thorpe has permission for. It also says the heights that can be built to. While they can be renegotiated it is unlikely that they will apply for a ride higher than the stated heights.

Are Thorpe allowed to dig down very deep?

21 minutes ago, Equoaster said:

If it is a dive coaster, I would prefer it to be one of those dive coasters over 200ft.

but knowing Merlin, they'll probably make one like Krake or Oblivion: TBH.

Either way, B&M hyper coasters are better than dive coasters so they may as well get a B&M hyper.

In my head, I always see Thorpe Park getting a B&M dive coaster that's more unique than those that go straight from a drop into an Immelman into the MCBR. I always imagine something more similar to Krake or Oblivion: The Black Hole.

Finally, Hypers are expensive and isn't there a maximum length of coasters at Thorpe Park which would mean that it would be a short hyper? 

2 hours ago, CharlieN said:

isn't there a maximum length of coasters at Thorpe Park which would mean that it would be a short hyper? 

I don't think there is any maximum length limitation in terms of planning, only a self imposed one they quote in the mtdp which is more of an expectation management thing that they can choose to change if they wish. 

More of a consideration is height, with the airport and residential areas nearby.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the proposed flying coaster for Canada Creek that was meant to fly out over the lake abandoned because it was found that the lake bed wasn't stable enough to support the footers and so they instead started a programme of infilling land instead?

Can you get a decent dive machine out of a 50 metre height limit?

We're never going to see a hyper, giga or anything similar at Thorpe. It was agreed when building Stealth that no future ride would ever exceed this height, that Stealth was a one-off and that any future ride's maximum height had to be a within a percentage of Stealth's total height (which I think made the height 60 metres if I remember correctly)

Rumours were also rife about Spinball's relocation to Thorpe in the coming years that would sit where Thorpe Shark sits now, but obviously we won't see much of that until the hotel is started / finished...

I can see the park opting for a heavily themed dive coaster or a flying coaster. However, looking way into the future (not necessarily the coaster after Ghost Train) I can see the removal of the Thorpe Shark Hotel marking the start of a B&M hyper, similar to Mako situated at SeaWorld Orlando. The station and any path interaction could remain on the site of the current Thorpe Shark Hotel - with a lift extending along the back of THE SWARM. This could then wrap around behind stealth and wrap around the park over the lake. Not only this but I can see it being a large hyper, probably taking Shambhala's title so that it looks dominating over Stealth. This wouldn't be such a crazy idea either as Stealth can be marketed for its speed, something that the park have been doing recently anyway. It would also make for a fantastic sky line! :)

• JoshC. changed the title to Hyperia - New for 2024
  • JoshC. pinned this topic