Mysterio Ka

The Next Big Thing

58 minutes ago, Wicker Matt said:

I just can’t see a positive future for the park, as rides continue to age and are given as much “on the cheap” maintenance until  running them is no longer practical. 

In the last ten years, we have only seen six new rides, two of which are “off the shelf” kids rides you would expect to find at a small sea side park. In the ten years before that, we saw 14.

Whilst it’s not logical to keep the same investment level from 2010-2010, it would be nice to at least see something every few years, but we know under current positions that isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

Perhaps it's just currently not profitable for Merlin to invest in Thorpe, in comparison to the new markets of Legoland resorts in Asia.

5 minutes ago, Glitch said:

Perhaps it's just currently not profitable for Merlin to invest in Thorpe, in comparison to the new markets of Legoland resorts in Asia.

Because Legoland Japan and Legoland Dubai are getting all the visitors and making all the money?

(spoilers: they're not)

2 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

Because Legoland Japan and Legoland Dubai are getting all the visitors and making all the money?

(spoilers: they're not)

Dubai is a lease operated by Merlin = Making money.

Japan is improving folds year on year, just had a slow start, with the Olympics this year, I'm sure it will continue to improve.

Meanwhile Thorpe still makes profit for Merlin, but just isn't the priority as of now, maybe the new owners will see a different incentive that lies within Thorpe. It will all just take time.

16 hours ago, Wicker Matt said:

I just can’t see a positive future for the park, as rides continue to age and are given as much “on the cheap” maintenance until  running them is no longer practical. 

In the last ten years, we have only seen six new rides, two of which are “off the shelf” kids rides you would expect to find at a small sea side park. In the ten years before that, we saw 14.

Whilst it’s not logical to keep the same investment level from 2010-2010, it would be nice to at least see something every few years, but we know under current positions that isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

My only conclusion is that Thorpe Park fans were so spoilt by 2000-2010, they think that a few years without major investment means Merlin hate Thorpe. Stop and think for a minute. We talk about all these half arsed additions that don't go anywhere but at the same time seem to want these big coasters thrown in without a second thought. 

Mr Matt, two of those investments were massive with The Swarm and Derren Brown. Whilst they were both relative failures, the money was put on the table. Lots of parks would scream for that level of investment. It's only through this Thorpe sphere that it looks like they've got barely anything. 

I can only think that Thorpe needs to realign itself. Someone took the mick when I said the place needs to work out what it is and they said thrill rides but frankly, that approach no longer works for Thorpe. The current thrill rides (poor Slammer) haven't exactly gone away and yet they aren't doing the business anymore. The teenage market requires the newest, best product and there's no way a thrill park can sustain that level of investment indefinitely. Either Thorpe adjusts course permanently to engage the family market or they continue to do nothing.

17 hours ago, Wicker Matt said:

In the last ten years, Phantasialand has only seen six new rides, two if which are "off the shelf" family rides. They've only seen 1 retheme too, Thorpe have seen many.

Quantity means nothing.

1 hour ago, Mark9 said:

We talk about all these half arsed additions that don't go anywhere but at the same time seem to want these big coasters thrown in without a second thought. 

Mr Matt, two of those investments were massive with The Swarm and Derren Brown. Whilst they were both relative failures, the money was put on the table. Lots of parks would scream for that level of investment. It's only through this Thorpe sphere that it looks like they've got barely anything. 

I understand that the growth that Thorpe took on in the noughties was extreme and unrealistic (as far as a long term business model goes), and it is pretty clear they have invested in cheap additions additions (especially in recent years), just for the sake of something new. Of the choice of this or something every few years or something, I would rather see the latter. Whether that be some big thrill coaster, a fun flat ride or even a family attraction, which the park seemingly lacks.

Swarm is a tricky one, as whilst it didn’t bring in the numbers as hoped it was still a generally well received ride (as many have said before). DBGT in the other hand was a massive failure to them in many ways.

57 minutes ago, JoshC. said:

In the last ten years, Phantasialand has only seen six new rides, two if which are "off the shelf" family rides. They've only seen 1 retheme too, Thorpe have seen many.

Quantity means nothing.

Indeed, but when you look at the quality of what Phantasia have added, it can simply put wonders and jealousy upon other parks. One has to just mention Taron and see how much better the overall quality that Park has risen to in that time.

I think Thorpe do seriously need to reconsider what they are doing and where they are going whilst trying to make it more of a commercial success. It won’t be easy or happen overnight, but let’s see. Legoland targets the younger families and Chessington caters for slightly older families and animal lovers. So it’s a question whether they go for the all ages or just the thrills.

Were they to increase promoting within central London, I do wonder how much of a difference it would make?

Kicking up this topic again and this is just something I happened to come across. I was on RMC’s Instagram yesterday to see Thorpe Park follow them. This could mean absolutely nothing but strange to see them following them when they have no ties.

15DC2DB7-0DF8-4E0E-AA15-BCC0344112C9.png

Could be completely random, though I do believe Merlin should work with RMC soon. They are basically the future of roller coasters, and they do not have a bad coaster to their name. I'm sure if the park got any type of RMC it would easily be #1 in the park. But lets be real, we ain't getting a coaster here for a while. I can still dream about Alton though lol.

1 hour ago, JoshuaA said:

Could be completely random, though I do believe Merlin should work with RMC soon. They are basically the future of roller coasters, and they do not have a bad coaster to their name. I'm sure if the park got any type of RMC it would easily be #1 in the park. But lets be real, we ain't getting a coaster here for a while. I can still dream about Alton though lol.

I am actually willing to bet with anybody who will take me on that SW9 will arrive before Thorpe get a coaster.

The thing I want to know is simple. If Merlin do not want to give Thorpe an RMC, WHY do they not want to give them one?

They are absolutely leading the way in the industry in terms of acclaim and how they are viewed in the community. They are also cheaper than other coasters from the likes of Mack and Intamin  and in general are just solid good rides. So surely when the time comes to give Thorpe a new coaster, an RMC would make sense. If not them then what coaster could they actually get that guarantees a return!!??

I get that maybe after the "great cock up of 2016" that maybe the higher ups at Merlin may be hesitant to give Thorpe a massive investment in terms of getting a return on it, but if they can get an RMC for the cheap prices we have seen Iron Gwazi made for then surely its worth the risk!!

I think the boat may have sailed on Thorpe getting one and believe me I wish I am wrong about that. I would actually get a new MAP if Thorpe got one!! 😛

A generally held belief is Merlin had concerns after New Texas Giant's incident. 

Perhaps we might have gotten a RMC at Towers if that hadn't happened instead of Wickerman.

It's weird that Merlin haven't jumped on the bandwagon though. Could've got 2 instead of DBGT!

Certainly true that there were concerns within Merlin about RMC after New Texas Giant. Rumours were still rife about one for Towers in 2017 of course, though The Smiler incident was the nail in the coffin there. I'm under the impression that when the 2017 coaster was cancelled, RMC was not under serious consideration.

Merlin are still considering RMCs for future projects. Indeed, RMC was considered at one point for Thorpe this year (there were RMC rumours all the time of course, and where there's smoke, there's fire). The issue ultimately came down to a change of philosophy from Merlin about what to give Thorpe to invest in terms of money, along with Merlin's further issues and decisions to invest even less in the parks. Covid complicates things even more.

So long story short, RMC is not off the table for Merlin. The bigger issue right now is when Merlin will approach the table of making a big investment, especially at Thorpe.

As for Thorpe following RMC, almost definitely something that was done for a bit of fun. I'm sure other parks follow them, and there's nothing to be read into it really.