The Next Big Thing

1 hour ago, Mattgwise said:

Hello and welcome :)

Yep, having it still standing makes it even more of a kick in the teeth and it's very sad to see such a loved attraction continue to just be left to rot more and more.

Wooden structure is being left up for RMC to work with mate!!

Its getting closer!!

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Fits like a glove then.

I'm sure that train in the background is going the wrong way

They said "pine", wooden coaster confirmed.   

Posted Images

On 11/18/2020 at 8:38 PM, Mattgwise said:

Hello and welcome :)

Yep, having it still standing makes it even more of a kick in the teeth and it's very sad to see such a loved attraction continue to just be left to rot more and more.

Thanks mate 😀

I know, I feel like every theme park should have a flume ride. I know they have Tidal Wave still but that’s a very different riding experience, even if you do get the splash at the end.

I don’t really understand why they got rid, in my experience flume rides are usually up there with the more popular attractions in the theme parks that have them. Unless of course the years had taken their toll and the maintenance to keep it running was getting too much? 

8 hours ago, ScottJB88 said:

Thanks mate 😀

I know, I feel like every theme park should have a flume ride. I know they have Tidal Wave still but that’s a very different riding experience, even if you do get the splash at the end.

I don’t really understand why they got rid, in my experience flume rides are usually up there with the more popular attractions in the theme parks that have them. Unless of course the years had taken their toll and the maintenance to keep it running was getting too much? 

Personally I don’t think it was their intention to completely remove it - sadly it  was deemed it needed a fairly significant amount of work at a pretty bad time where budgets etc started to be cut - had it been a couple years earlier it wouldn’t surprise me if it had got the money it needed and had been saved.

Sadly I ultimately think it's right that an open water system water ride does not have a significant amount of investment to keep it operational. It's not up to current regulations for a new build and I can see a time when they are health and safety'd out of existence.

What would be perfect for the park would be a new modern flume alongside and interacting with a family thrill coaster. 

IMO Thorpe aren't getting a thrill attraction for some time. I've heard there won't be a major thrill coaster at the park for at least 3-5 years due to how expensive they are for the park (this was before the COVID pandemic which may have delayed this even further). Instead the park are capitalising on what they've already got and are putting in new events to keep the park fresh each year (year of events 2019, Black Mirror 2020 2021).

The end of season 2019 video had the usual tease for 2020 which turned out to be the Black Mirror Labyrinth. As that's been delayed to 2021 the "major thing" for 2021 is the BML hence why nothing was "teased" for in the end of season 2020 video also indicating nothing "major" that's new next year will be happening other than the BML.

"Events" as opposed to ride hardware are therefore what the park are pushing for in low CAPEX years for the foreseeable future.

This makes sense from a Merlin Entertainments perspective of low cost to maximum return whilst attempting to drive visitor numbers up. 

• With all that said IMO the new big thing is going to be the one that's cheaper to buy and install - either on the island behind the swarm or replacing logger's leap which will ultimately affect what is bought.
  • The one after that is likely to be Colossus's replacement.
  • And the major thrill ride after that (if Thorpe is still adding thrill rides/ still open) is likely to be on the vacant site (logger's leap or new island - whichever hasn't been used).

Ultimately Loggers had a good run (26 years is not bad) but it was old and nothing lasts forever.

2 hours ago, Ivsetti said:

• With all that said IMO the new big thing is going to be the one that's cheaper to buy and install - either on the island behind the swarm or replacing logger's leap which will ultimately affect what is bought.

The island behind Swam baffles me - it's not cheap whatsoever to create an island, one can only assume they must have had plans to put something there a few years after Swarm, but I guess like Operational Directors, plans and management change! From one year to the next, it would seem....

Thopre trying to eek out no "big" investment for a couple of years at least whilst also trying to attract visitiors is going to be... a challenge. There's only so many times you can rebrand or rename something or stick an overlay over the top...

16 minutes ago, Ivsetti said:

It still reportedly cost (£35 mil) more than Stealth (£12 mil) and Swarm (£20 mil) combined so it's a massive investment by the park (I believe it's still the single most expensive investment in any Merlin theme park).

Ghost Train's total cost is much less than people believe. 

Unlike with other major Merlin investments where they push the investment cost with a specific number, they just went for the 'most expensive investment ever' line, which would make it more than Swarm's £18-20m (the number varies depending on which press release you read).

An article in the Financial Times quoted £13m, which is the only number we have from any sort of source. I believe the total investment was closer to the £20m mark (I've heard numbers between £17-23m), and that included the fixes and new stuff in 2017. But take that for what you will.

Ultimately, Ghost Train was a major investment for the park. It came when a major investment should have (Thorpe and Merlin were doing 4 year investment cycles then), and they spent a lot of money on it. It's turned out bad for a variety of reasons, and I see why people don't count it as a major investment. But when it comes down to it, it was.