Parks, Rides And Coaster News

MikeC

I think Air is great at what it does, its calm and like Flying. The new flyers, are great, but with such tight, twisting elements, its full of head rush moments, which many find uncomfortable, so er, perhaps not like flying.I do agree however, that looks pretty awesome.

Shangrila Snowfield (which is apparently now called Bullet Coaster, but for some reason I prefer the former...) is finally testing!http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjk4MDkyNTQ4.html Trust me, once you get past the S&S Tower, and the mine train, and and and... You finally get to the coaster. And it looks very pretty!Also, HHN Orlando reveal! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaQNxtCt4mM

Posted ImageANOTHER B&M!!! This time at Six Flags Great America!

Six Flags Great America (outside Chicago) – Billed as the only wing coaster in the United States, X-Flight by Bolliger & Mabillard will feature barrel rolls and high-speed drops with seats that straddle the 3,000-foot-long track.

SourceALSO from that page, Magic Mountain is doing a Dreamworld and adding drop towers on the side of Superman... WANT!Posted ImageAND, here's a picture of the new coaster for Discovery Kingdom... It's also made of WANT!Posted Image

And the final piece of the B&M 2012 puzzle has been accidentally revealed by the LA Times posting a list of every Six Flags addition for next year :DPosted ImageGreat America, as expected... Interesting they haven't gone massive with it, at just 3000' long - Dollywood's move I say!

And the final piece of the B&M 2012 puzzle has been accidentally revealed by the LA Times posting a list of every Six Flags addition for next year :DPosted ImageGreat America, as expected... Interesting they haven't gone massive with it, at just 3000' long - Dollywood's move I say!

Posted Image:D

That new SF ride looks cool, although it seems they have an 'inverted drop' too by the looks of things. I wonder if such a poorly themed, concrete park are going to make a big effort for theme like the 2 other Wing-riders have done, saying that I do like the colours. The trains aren't as well themed as the European ones which is a shame. My guess for the name of this ride - 'DareDevilDrop', or as Benin has hinted - 'Ninja' is also a very popular name. SF have a habit of using names from their other parks and the name suits it if the drop is going to be as illustrated on that image.I imagine they'll go for 'tallest, fastest, (most concrete)' Wing-rider in the world lol. BUT, it does look awesome :D

Yeah, doubtless ride experience wise it won't come close to Raptor or The Swarm. That's why I was surprised they haven't gone all-out on the size, although I suppose Superman Ultimate Flight was quite a small model of Flyer so it's similar to that. I still think the Dollywood one will become pick of the bunch, widely rumoured to be huge, and using the terrain and amazing landscape, with Mystery Mine level theming. Should be a beautiful ride.And SFGAm's is called X-Flight, which curiously enough has been used by Cedar Fair in the past.

or as Benin has hinted - 'Ninja' is also a very popular name. SF have a habit of using names from their other parks and the name suits it if the drop is going to be as illustrated on that image.

I hinted nothing, it was a joke directed at Adam since he posted the same info as me only 2 minutes behind, so I had 'ninja'd' him...As Adam has pointed out, it WILL be called X-Flight... Because the Americans seem to be very unimaginative and bland with their ride names to be honest... Even if ride names in general are difficult to make truly unique, at least name your Windseekers something DIFFERENT at each park!

Just noticed also, even though at 3,000' it presumably won't have an MCBR, that it has 8 row trains... 7 Rows on Inferno was just about excusable in 2003 but when pushing for 2.2m visitors PA in the future, Thorpe's blind sticking with trains of 28 baffles me... But this is going off topic.

^It's probably a lot more difficult to convert to that extra row for Inferno... Especially when considering it will completely change the forces involved on the ride and actually would involve extending the station a little bit...Was a good idea at the time, but oh well...EDIT - Two more pics of X-Flight...Posted ImagePosted ImageLooks really good... YAY FOR B&M!

B&M. You guys, seriously. For years you've been building hyper after hyper coaster and suddenly, you reach the 2010's and you throw wilder and wilder and mroe and more rides at us. From Starry eyed Ripper to Parc Asterix's new one its crazy to think of the B&M dominance for next year.So many projects. Can't wait :D

No, that's what I meant... :D They can call this America's only one even though Dolly is buying one (and they ARE... No maybe about it) because they announced it first. Likewise, Thorpe could call theirs unique because at the time of announcement, it was. As the small print says, information correct at time of print... SF get a massive boost by calling it America's only, so why wouldn't they when there's no public information to the contrary yet? Of course they know about Dollywood's one, but it's their fault they didn't announce it sooner so the title of first is fair game.

Already I feel contemptuous of the whole wing-rider design. It seems there's very little innovation about that ride or indeed it's layout. The term bandwagon springs to mind. Lord knows if Dollywood's has the same type of head-choppers as Raptor, The Swarm and X-Flight (useless name), as well as that pretty much clichéd 90 degree "keyhole" element as a near-miss point, then the whole thing is just going to be a complete waste of time. It already looks a waste of time because X-Flight doesn't appear to have much of a theme of storyline.And as for Discovery Kingdom... I smell Premier - they're the only coaster company with that audacity to build something like that. Well, them and Maurer Sohne. And if those trains are anything like G-Force's, I pity the fat Americans, and also the air-time that won't be experienced due to those bloody awful restraints. And a little pet hate now, but please, please, please stop the Superman series now?

With the cliché keyhole though, everyone would be raving if it hadn't been included, either in Swarm or X-Flight. I dare say Dollywood will use it too. And I quite like this new layout, it has a very nice flow to it. And rather than a bandwagon, I'd say kudos to B&M for getting four orders before one had even been built!

Coaster types ALWAYS go through bandwagons though... Look at SLCs, Boomerang, Stand-ups, Inverted, Accelerators and probably many more... When these types were introduced there was a fairly high amount of boom due to various reasons due to cost, ease of construction and uniqueness (by which I mean, unique to the park/area when it opened)... Indeed, even the Flying coaster had a boom, the only one that really didn't was the Dive Machine, but that easily could have been due to the high cost of ground/tunnel work...There's absolutely nothing wrong with Wing-Riders doing the keyhole element... By that reasoning to a degree, Inverted coasters are all the same as they use leg-choppers on all of them... There are a lot more samey coasters in the world than 3 (potentially 4) Wing-Riders... The American side of the industry is so damn different due to the vast gulf in tastes... Bigger, bolder and brasher are the key things you see in every American park, even Disney do big things with everything... I like the look of the Superman ride (bar the brakes of DEATH) as it is a really unique ride... It's confirmed as a Premier since I posted that stuff yesterday...And if you're expecting Six Flags to give a well detailed story or theme PAST DC Comics? Never gonna happen...

Colossus is gonna lose it's record...http://www.parkworld.be/en/seizoen-2012/hopi-hari-gaat-voor-inversie-record

12 times upside down!The current word record of inversions on a roller coaster is set to 10. Both Colossus in Thorpe Park as 10 Inversion Coaster in the Chinese amusement park Chimelong Paradise have an Intamin ten-looper model.Eejanaika and X2 are also being mentioned inside the Guiness Book of Records with 14 inversions, but this is because during the ride the visitors are being flipped over by a second rail. The track layout itself only contains two inversions. It's a similar discussion about a boomerang coaster: it has three physical inversions, but during a ride you go six times upside down!The new 12-loop rollercoaster has been on the product list of Intamin for a while. So now they have found a customer willing to buy this extreme experience. This coaster ride has a maximum heighth of 44 meter and a length of almost 1,5 km. Compared to the 10-looper, this ride has a quick 180° turn after the steep first drop, leading to some kind of Pretzel-loop, a double inversion element. The rest of the journey looks to be quite identical to what Colossus has to offer.

Posted Image