Parks, Rides And Coaster News

MikeC

Jealous of Dollywood and it's better versions of Rush, Saw, and Swarm etc.

I was just wondering what it is that makes you think this about Wild Eagle versus the Swarm? All I see, which admittedly isn't much as there is a lot more work to be done on both, is a ride of roughly equal height with a more generic start to the ride (drop to loop) but an admittedly longer overall length. Also, as Coaster XTREME says, I can't see theming being such a major part of the ride due to the eagle theme.* *This is of course based upon the idea that Thorpe will be able to follow through with their plans for theming!

It's quite tricky to compare them as they are both rather different. What Dollywood's does (or to be more accurate, will) have is an amazing landscape underneath with lots of potential near misses with the trees that should eventually grow back. Something that Thorpe doesn't have anywhere on the park.Two very different experiences really; at least Dollywood's is unique, eh? ^_^

What Dollywood's does (or to be more accurate, will) have is an amazing landscape underneath with lots of potential near misses with the trees that should eventually grow back.

Can't really argue with that! I must admit I struggled to relate the drawings that they released with the landscape that I have only seen in pictures (sadly... ^_^ ). It could work really well with the Eagle theme in that case and could have some brilliant 'natural' head/foot/arm choppers.I still think the drop into a loop pales in comparison to the Swarm's opening drop though. ^_^

Sad news for all you Dueling Dragons fans today! Dueling Dragons is no longer.. dueling.The decision to stop launching the two coasters simultaneously has been made a precaution, after two incidents over the summer that saw guests being struck by loose objectsTaken from theme park tourist read the full story here^_^

It's been like this for a few months, but this news that it's permanent is really what we've all been dreading. I can't believe it... And I still refuse to believe after 11 years with no incident, that these - 2 weeks apart - were accidents. What I'd give for Universal to release their findings... But that'll never happen.My favourite roller coaster on the planet.Minus epic themeing.Minus duelling.:P

Strange to see this reported today, it has been like that since summer. Unless they are saying it is now a permanent change, which would be a great shame, but it doesn't actually say that?Edit :P It is saying it is permanent then, is it? That's not how I read it.

Edited by pluk

Orlando Sentinel, as always, has the story:

For more than a decade, the signature thrill of Universal Orlando's "Dragon Challenge" has been the ride's three near-collisions, in which the attraction's two intertwined roller coasters, speeding along their tracks at up to 60 mph, pass within 18 inches of each other.Riders will never experience that again.Universal Orlando said this week it has decided to permanently end the practice of launching the two coasters simultaneously. The resort now bills the attraction as a "high-speed chase between two coasters."

Well that's just BS.If they've proven that the missiles have not come from the actual train (which I'm sure they can rule out as bits would be missing if they had), then it is guests throwing things / carrying stuff which has fallen from their pockets etc. This can happen at any time on any coaster with idiots throwing things or coins falling from pockets at a bad time. With that logic we'll shut all coasters shall we, along with anything that goes fast or inverts?Makes me angry. :P See, angry.

Exactly, if they're thinking like this then HRRR or Hulk could hit people below... Both have elements over path areas where the train is sideways, and therefore nets afford no protection. A phone could easily fly out sideways from a Zero G taken at 40mph. Illogical :P

Illogical but understandable in law suit USA. It's a real shame though as I always felt the dueling parts of the ride were the most worthwhile parts and everything else was layed down to get you to those points. Once again stupidness ruins the fun for everyone. :P

I take it that this ride will be locatated in the China area of the park. I remember whilst playing Uncharted 2, this term popped up numerous times.In the Buddhist tradition of Tibet, Shambhala has three meanings. Externally, Shambhala was a geographic location, a seat of inspiration where the Buddha taught the Kalachakra Tantra, the Tantra of the Wheel of Time. In the mythology of Bon, the native religion of Tibet, Shambhala was a Central Asian kingdom, the origin and center of the world whence issued all spiritual energies. Internally, Shambhala is the dharma chakra, located in the heart of all beings. It is the symbol for mind, completing the trinity of body, speech, and mind. The esoteric meaning of Shambhala is tathagatagarbha, buddha-nature, the essence of all things. It transcends existence and non-existence and is the ground of both samsara and nirvana.Can't wait for this new coaster, should have some awesome Port Aventura theming.

Somebody on Coaster Force has stated the name is not necessarily true... There is a quote from PA saying it's related to the Himalayas but it says nothing about Shambhala being the correct name. The rendering on Coaster Force may not be real too so I'm not getting hyped up about the name or rendering too much... Yay for an announcement however! Bit shocked it isn't a Giga though...

Some more information here regarding the PA 2012 B&M hyper. Park managers putting a concrete box thing in the ground&Artwork images also at bottom of post! :P (from TPR&PAfans)

- It's official! B&M Hyper -The first downhill speed 135 km / h. ..-You will go through dark tunnels (a tunnel) and mountain lakes (splash).- 5 camel backs. The smallest, a height of 7 storeys.- 78m in height. in the fall. Maximum height 76m, 2m below ground.- 3 European records: 1-Speed ​​fall. 2 - the highest in Europe with 78m.- Cost of 25M euros ..Amusement Park: PortAventura Park (Salou, Tarragona, Spain)Classification: Roller CoasterType: Steel - Sit DownStatus: Under Construction opening 2012Make / Model: Bolliger & Mabillard / All Models / Mega CoasterCost: 25M euros (34.5M dollarsHeight: 76 m (249 ft.)Drop: 78 m (256 ft.)Speed: 134 km/h (83 mph)At least 5 camelbacks.At least 1 tunnel.Splash?Notes: It will be themed in the Himalaya mountains.Location: Located in the China section of the park.

Posted ImagePosted ImageAlso it's gonna be the tallest coaster in Europe, stealing the crown from Silver Star.

Verbolten construction update!

The free-fall drop section like Th13teen has been installed. Posted Image

The images here show all of the indoor track. The building will be built around it, and hopefully there will be some good theming in here. Reminds me very much of Saw, remember this is a Zierer coaster! :PPosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImageImages credit to TPR and BGWfans.Looks very good to be honest! Now if this Zierer coaster turns out to be good, then I can see them giving Intamin a run for their money on their family style Blitz coasters like Cheetah Hunt.