Parks, Rides And Coaster News

MikeC

I'm not a fan of the colours either and also question the point of the train configuration, but then again, this is why I don't go to amusement parks because I'm much more about experience and story rather than track and train. I would expect the lowest level of themeing from an amusement park.

I really would say the only reason for the trains being how they are is an honest realisation from Intamin that they can't do the full wing coaster after trying with Baco. I mean honestly, the ride is going to be a completely different experience depending on your seat, and not in a good way - the people on the inside will always feel hard done by. Who would design a ride like this by choice?

From an enthusiasts point of view on the SkyRush trains, of course we would all prefer to sit on the outer seats, and yes you probably would feel a little disappointed if you were forced to sit on one of the inner seats.But then again if a family were to come along to ride the coaster, just like what Sandor Kernacs said at IAAPA; the more conservative riders can sit on the inner seats whilst the thrill-seeking ones go for the winged ones. If this does end up having lap bars then I'm sure it could be a pretty good coaster; the layout looks to have some great spots of airtime and if it's as smooth as what people say Cheetah Hunt is, then I think it should be a good addition.Then there's the colour... The Yellow and Blue seems to have been a love/hate thing between most enthusiasts. I've always loved the colour scheme of Rage, Oakwood's Speed, Dragon Challenge and most coasters with a more 'in your face' colour scheme, so I'm definitely loving the colours on this one. :)

I really would say the only reason for the trains being how they are is an honest realisation from Intamin that they can't do the full wing coaster after trying with Baco. I mean honestly, the ride is going to be a completely different experience depending on your seat, and not in a good way - the people on the inside will always feel hard done by. Who would design a ride like this by choice?

B&M and Vekoma for a start :)

Left unthemed but surrounded by trees (eventually), so it's not all bad...Foundations are like that since they're reusing the original BBW ones as well, so hey, who said theme parks don't recycle? :PIt is EXTREMELY similar to BBW's drop as well when you look at this picture...Posted Image

I wouldn't call it crap, certainly a ride only the Americans could pull off, but of course depended a LOT on how good the 'Skipper' was. If they weren't bothered, the ride wasn't great.Think though behind this closure is certainly costs. To have the fire go off so regularly in rather large quantities must have been draining the ride's bill excessively. Add in the fuel for the boats and what-not and must have cost an arm and a leg to operate in comparison to everything else...Just hoping it won't be replaced by more Potter. No doubt it will be though. Wouldn't be surprised if Twister is next to get the axe too. All the 'classic' films are slowly moving on which is the price a movie park pays. The themes aren't always popular forever so you do need to advance sometimes to keep the guests coming, even if it does mean removing some classic (and possibly loved rides, hard to tell when nostalgia takes over the mind as to whether or not people actually care) rides or attractions. Not the first time Universal have removed a classic attraction (Kong), and they replaced it with a BRILLIANT coaster. Fingers crossed for the same eh?For the record, the first time I rode Jaws, the explosions made me feel ill (mixed with dehydration). So we never got on that well anyways.

I wouldn't call it crap, certainly a ride only the Americans could pull off, but of course depended a LOT on how good the 'Skipper' was... If they weren't bothered, the ride wasn't great...

I suppose crap might be too strong a word, but last time ('05 - I'm pretty sure it had a heavy referb just after my visit so I probably saw it at a low point) I went I thought it had aged really badly. Couple that with my barely controllable urge to punch overenthusiastic ham acting humourless Americans in the face I guess this one was not really for me either. I guess I've been repeatedly unlucky with my Skipper.

I wouldn't say it's crap either, not by a long way. It's a really classic fun experience ride - it ticks all the boxes in terms of drama, excitement, guest interaction and triumphant 'victory' narrative. And although Jaws may be old, it's still a film I would imagine the vast majority of visitors have seen, and everyone knows about. Hell, Jurassic Park and The Mummy (excepting Dragon Emperor) aren't exactly young kids are they? Twister is younger than the original JP, yet there's talk of it going but no threat to Jurassic Park.Frankly I hate the direction Universal are taking. Not only are they removing their classic attractions by the bucketload - sometimes inevitable I agree - they're replacing them with a monopoly of one IP. Not happy. And let me ask you, how many people have seen episodes of The Twilight Zone before going on holiday? Not as many as have seen Twister, Jaws, or any of their kind I'm willing to bet. :)

Think it's more of a "with such a wealth of potential IPs to choose from, why must they just go with one" thing... Twilight Zone is one of the least well known IPs (especially over here) so why not use one of them instead of the instant cash prize that Potterland Reloaded would bring? (Yes the answer is in the question)Potter arguably is the best and worst thing to happen to Universal... Best because it has been one of (if not THE) most successful new additions to any modern theme park, but the worst because it WAS so successful... They have to decide (and have seemingly leant towards) just essentially expanding that one area, making the rest of the parks look even worse in comparison...

Oh don't worry, I'd set myself on myself too because I love it! I'm just saying I don't personally believe a film has to be very recent to remain a popular theme park attraction.But in essence, you're right - it has no right at all :DEdit: Benin, do you have a camera in my room or something? You ninja me EVERY time I post! :)But I agree that it could have been the best thing to ever happen to them - it was the best when they used the money to repaint The Hulk, pay for Spiderman's HD upgrade, etc etc - if they'd carried on like that and invested in a wide ranging selection of new attractions they would have ridden this wave for the next 10, 15 or even 20 years. Like this they will suffer huge boom and bust, and will have destroyed a large part of their physical land and brand image in the process.