Parks, Rides And Coaster News

MikeC

Gosh, the critisim here is quite bad. A few pointers.

1. The Speed. If you've ever seen an empty Swarm or Raptor train go through its circuit, it practically crawls at the same pace as X-Flight does. It's when you add the people and the theme to the trains that it starts to go at pace.

2. The Theme. Who cares if it unthemed. Outside of the station, Wild Eagle is as unthemed as anything and that has had heaps of praise put upon it. This is Six Flags, they don't necessarily have to theme their rides obsessively because they don't describe themselves as a theme park. The lighthouse will go in, if we're going to attack things when the ride itself isn't finished, then why don't we go after Swarm and its lack of LED's and fire effects too.

3. How busy is this park compared to say Gardaland, Thorpe Park and Dollywood. I've got no idea but I find it rather laughable that this is actually getting criticised for having an extra row, to you know, get extra bums on seats and to reduce the queuing time (although, thats as long as both trains are on it :wub: )

It's funny that isn't it, almost as if dollywood can't do any wrong. In fact, it does seem like there is a devotion to Dollywood on most American-based sites. compare this to US coverage of The swarm, and it is literally "they have one too".

It'll be interesting how the dollywood lovers will react to a better themed ride being at a six flags.

Our DARK announcement is....a 100 foot (30.5 m) tunnel will be added to Leviathan!

Staring down from over 300 feet (91.5 m), riders will feel the exhilaration as they reach a top speed of 148km/h and enter into the darkness of Leviathan’s 100 foot (30.5 m) tunnel at the bottom of the first drop.

Straight from CW's Facebook page. I wonder if they theme it?

Pirate show was there last year, the other new thing is the scare maze (which has had barely any details come out)...

Also pretty late with this :)

Ohhh, I had no idea about the Krake show. I was posting pictures of the maze signage too. I think it's already open. In one of the pictures you can see there is a split where you can chose between 'Krake' and 'Krake lebt!' (2nd from last in my post).

Posted Image

Signage for Krake Lebt!

Posted Image

When it was being put together a while back.

Credit to Theme Park Review

With the ridiculous amount of new stuff being built this year, you could almost be forgiven for overlooking... This! A major major refurb is underway on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Magic Kingdom - replacement of whole sections of rock and building facing is underway, as well as a fairly comprehensive re-tracking. It's interesting to watch!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's wonderful to think how much money and effort Disney put into this, when other parks are only willing / able to plunge serious money into new rides.

Credit to DaMouse http://damouse.com/2012/03/15/big-thunder-mountain-railroad-march-construction-update-shows-portions-of-completed-track/

But Disney have the ability of not needing a new ride every year. and hundreds of millions of dollars to spend.

And the reason they don't 'need' a new ride and have hundreds of millions of dollars to spend is because they invest in the upkeep, making it such a special place to be so people keep coming back and happily throw their money at them!

And just out of Orlando - a first look at Universal's Cinematic Spectacular, the new lagoon show coming to the Studios this year!

And if anyone just moans "weerh it's just World of Colour waah waah weerh weerh"... I shall kill you in a most unpleasant manner :wub:

They started retracking when I was there, I got a quick photo which I may upload later on. The workers were smilling and waving as the train went past the part they were working on and I thought that was one of those little things you would only find in Disney. Shame I didn't get to ride it because I seem to remember horrendous queues on previous visits and February saw the park empty.

And just out of Orlando - a first look at Universal's Cinematic Spectacular, the new lagoon show coming to the Studios this year!

And if anyone just moans "weerh it's just World of Colour waah waah weerh weerh"... I shall kill you in a most unpleasant manner :wub:

This could be good, but will it be as impressive as "Disney Dreams"? I'm not convinced.

Not sure how true this is, but some bad times for Verbolten...

Disclaimer: This is a rumor. A rumor with confirmable information to back it up, but a rumor nonetheless. Take it as you will.

From what I’ve been able to gather there was a major accident resulting in one (serious sounding) injury inside Verbolten’s event building today. Apparently a block brake inside the building malfunctioned causing the yellow train to valley sometime on the 19th. On the 20th they brought in winch truck to get the train back up to the first launch so they could re-launch it and continue testing. Anyway, right as the train was about to crest the hill (where the first launch is) the strap snapped causing the train to roll back down the first drop, through the first turn, and collide with the winch truck. This shoved the winch truck into one of Verbolten’s support columns and threw the driver out of the cab some distance across the building. The condition of the winch truck driver is currently unknown. As for the truck, I’ve been told that it took hours for them to finally get it out of the building and it looked like it had literally wrapped itself around the support similar to what you’d see in a car accident where a car hit a light pole. The condition of the support column is currently unknown but if it’s damaged, I see major problems ahead for the coaster. What about the train? Well I’ve heard that the yellow train (the one involved in the indecent) sustained heavy damage as well from colliding with the winch truck. Because the building was evacuated within seconds of the event, it’s hard to know the extent of the damage but if that truck is any indicator, things can’t be good.

Now for the evidence. We have multiple independent sources coming forward confirming that at least something very, very bad happened. I can confirm that from opening to at least 2 pm the yellow train was inside the event building the whole time. Also, testing was planned for around noon today but was then canceled around 1 or so.

If what we’ve heard is true and someone was indeed injured, our thoughts and prayers go out to that person and their family. We wish them all the best.

http://bgwfans.com/?p=1825