Parks, Rides And Coaster News

MikeC

Heard a few differing accounts of what's happened on Verbolten, not entirely sure what to believe yet but I hope it's not as serious as it seems for either the ride or indeed the driver.

And X Flight's bodywork... WOW. Love it :) Looks so sleek!

I don't know, I'm just guessing, but the physics of what is being described there don't seem right?

The train would be moving only under its own weight, not launched to an 'unnatural' speed. I can not see how it could then hit what must be a big heavy winch truck with such force it causes the winch truck to fly into a support and either wrap itself around the support or cause significant damage to the support. Especially if the train is left in a state where it can still be pulled back to the maintenance shed (which seems to have happened now). Would also have thought you don't have to be a professor of winch driving school to know that parking your winch directly in the path of what you are winching might not be the best idea.

Got a feeling there are some fairly big exaggerations going on here.

Of course, if anyone is hurt, thoughts to them yada yada.

Verbolten is okay :D

Their was minor incident, but nothing has major has first thought so

From BGWFans

Finally some good news. They managed to move the yellow train back into the maintenance bay sometime late last night. This is further confirmed by this picture that was posted to our forums by queva1. This means that the train is still movable and hopefully most of the damage is to the seats and the fiberglass body and not the wheel assemblies and whatnot. I have been told that it looks quite bad though.

Also, we now have some additional information on the initial valley. It sounds like there’s a block brake at the end of the first launch that is set to activate if the train doesn’t reach the correct speed of about 40 miles per hour. If the computers senses that this speed wasn’t hit, the computer will activate these blocks and basically force a rollback and relaunch. This is done on Verbolten because, unlike your normal launch coaster, just because the train makes it over the first hill it doesn’t mean that it will make it all the way through to the mid-course brake run relying on gravity alone. Now, it sounds like what happened was that the train hit the right speed on the launch but the blocks at the end engaged anyway slowing the train below the speed that it needed to make it through the rest of the course but not stopping the train entirely. This caused the train to have enough speed to make it over the first hill but not all the way up to the brakes. This is apparently the second time that this same problem has caused a valley. The first time they were able to pull it back up to the launch and relaunch it like they planned to do yesterday. Sadly, it didn’t end the same yesterday as it did the last time.

So only the yellow train was damaged but the ride is safe to go ahead for opening day

Also testing videos are now online!

Looks great! My favourite out of the uk coaster project!

On supports and footers, we can only assume :D Given Cedar Fair don't have one yet we could make a fairly sound guess they won't want to be left behind for too long, given how popular these have been so far. Cedar Point are getting a new coaster in 2013, perhaps this is it.

Gawd, it seems funny how we are instantly jumping to the conclusion that this is a Wing Rider. If this was 2010, there would probably be some debate as to whether this was a floorless or a sitdown...

Having said that, it will most likely be a Wing Rider and I place my bets on either Magic Mountain or another Six Flags park making another Green Lantern coaster. I reckon X-Flight will be a success and the Green Lantern theme seems popular. Besides, even Cedar Fair don't use such vibrant colours, (although I'm being hypocritical for jumping to conclusions again...) Six Flags/Cedar Fair would not surprise me at all if they were to buy a WR. Especially if it was made up of this track.

Really? 20 minute advert with some fountains and fireworks. I'm sure it's better in person but looks to me like It's got no soul and tells no story. Keeps chopping and changing between clips with no narrative or reason other than to shout at the audience 'hey, aren't we great'.

Well... That was pretty much the intention. It's a retrospective of 100 years of their films. Why should that have a story?

Future years of the show will probably slow the pace and focus on fewer films for longer, because they won't be trying to put in a sample of 100 years. That's a big ask for a 20 minute show. But you have to put this in context - this is the first new night show Universal have created in 10 years, and only the fourth in 20-something years. They have authorisation to run this every night, which with the restrictions they have is a huge achievement. They've invested to put the infrastructure in. Plus, this is only a part of a massive improvement in in-park entertainment this year with the new parades etc. There's no denying Universal are moving themselves into a much more positive direction. Give it time, and it'll be even better.

Eh, World of Colour and Disney Dreams are certainly better... As pluk said, it lacks a story and doesn't really capture me...

Just a bit meh really... I'm sure they'll improve it later, but at the moment, just not really that interesting when it's just an advert...