Parks, Rides And Coaster News

MikeC

A POV of my favorited looking Usa coaster of 2012!
The effects are amazing, and it looks so much fun!
Thirteen step aside theirs a better forest themed family coaster now ;)
Also love the little nod towards Big Bad Wolf, well done busch!

2nd sexiest ride I've seen all day....

Posted Image

Sexiest ride I've seen all day...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

All credit to COASTERFORCE

Ooooh yeah and this eyesore has also been approved:

Posted Image

Brighton Argus wrote:

The nation's tallest viewing tower could be open to the public in less than two years.

The i360 was last night given the green light and work on the 175 metre tall tower next to Brighton's West Pier, offering 25 mile views along the coast could begin before the end of the year.

The viewing tower could open in April 2014 following unanimous support for the tourist attraction from Brighton and Hove City Council's cabinet members last night.

The architects behind the “tourist magnet” said that the council's approval has “unlocked” the project add that they hope to start construction by the end of the financial year next April.

Architect David Marks who has led the development said: “Its scale and design will help raise the profile of Brighton and Hove and strengthen its international profile.”

Last night (May 10) the council's cabinet agreed to a £14 million loan to kickstart work on the £35million development.

This will act as an engine room for regeneration

Bill Randall, Brighton and Hove City Council leader

Coast to Capital LEP will spend £3million on the project and the remaining funds will be sought through bank finance.

Addressing cabinet members' concerns about the cost he said that the percentage of debt required was under 50%.

He added that the business is expected to earn two and a half times more income than is needed to cover the interest and loan repayments to the council.

“If anyone stands to lose money it will firstly be us and our investors,” said Mr Marks.

“But obviously neither we nor they are going into this intending to lose any money.”

The i360 expected to create at least 154 full time jobs plus 444 more posts during the construction of the tower.

Eleanor Harris, who will be responsible for operating the i360 when it opens said: “The visitor experience on the Brighton i360 will be even better than the London Eye.

“The giant pod is incredibly spacious and will hold around 200 people compared to just 25 on the London Eye meaning that visitors can walk around and it can accommodate large groups, so for example, school groups can visit together without needing to get split up unlike on the London Eye.

“It also makes the pod an ideal venue for parties, which we think will be especially important in attracting the conference visitors to Brighton. It also will mean we can run a calendar of special events on the i360 such as graduation parties, or music, comedy and other performances during Brighton Festival and Pride.

“We have also designed top notch visitor facilities in terms of the beach-side restaurant, a shop, exhibition about the West Pier and functions rooms - all things we lacked at the London Eye, which will transform the seafront.”

In the first year it is hoped 800,000 visitors with visit it the tower, then between 700,000 and 750,000 a year after that.

Speaking in his final cabinet meeting as council leader, Bill Randall said: “This will act as an engine room for regeneration.

“You will have seen Jason Kitcat's suggestion of West Laine area in The Argus, whatever we do we need to redevelop the area.”

Labour and Co-op group leader Councillor Gill Mitchell said “I don't think that the regeneration of the area is in any doubt. That area of the city needs an anchor attraction. "

But she added that she was concerned by council reports suggesting that it would boost the income of the Regency Square car park.

“you can't have it both ways. If you want to see this as a success then you are going to have to look at parking charges and consider park and ride.”

She also raised concerns about visitor numbers.

Conservative group leader Geoffrey Theobald said: “Fingers crossed this will kick start the redevelopment of the West Pier itself.”

It's in Brighton. What on earth makes the government think people are going to want to see anything from the top of a tower in Brighton? Why doesn't the government stop wasting money on false prestige and actually do something about the nation's debt. I'm sick of seeing crap like this, the Orbit Tower, HS2 and the Olympic Stadiums wasting billions on dead-end concepts that'll never revamp our country's image; not least in the eyes of other countries.

"Raise Brighton's profile". Ermm, no. Do you see people raving about Stratford? It's stupid to think this government use supposed-iconic projects as tools to lift areas out of deprivation rather than doing the grisly work and actually rectifying the quality of housing in said areas. The Orbit Tower, for example, looks like a scrapyard dumped on a runway.

Oiu, oiu, Monsieur Johnson, tres prestigieux...

When are Merlin going to build the tower at Weymouth?

Thanks, for the past couple days I've been wondering what the date June 22nd means to me, couldn't find it anywhere, but just remembered it's when the Tower is due to open(ahead of schedule)

http://news.dorsetforyou.com/2012blog/2012/05/weymouth-sea-life-tower-opening-june-22/

I shall pay a visit some time as I only live over Portland.

Tom.

Nothing wrong with that viewing tower in Brighton - imagine how far out to sea you could look! By what the article was saying it sounds very interesting and exciting :D If anything the Brighton Wheel was a silly idea, because it's not exactly high enough to view much compared to the tower :P Whether or not people think there's much to view in Brighton is their opinion, but it's an historic city plus being able to view for miles is something some people would find pretty cool. Also from Wiki:

"It will be Britain's highest observation tower with views along the coast, across the South Downs and across the Channel." The South Downs are beautiful!

On a very clear day you can just about make out France from the Booster which is only 135ft! It's something do to, it will make money and will create more jobs. Perfect!

Eyesore? What about the burnt out remains of the West Pier, much worse than a shiny new observation tower ;)

I was going to say they could maybe save that money for doing something with the West Pier but then I read at the bottom of the article: "Fingers crossed this will kick start the redevelopment of the West Pier itself." Yay!

Now all we need is to get a new decent ride on the pier to replace the joke-of-a-simulator...which replaced the Super Booster...which replaced a simulator. KMG ride please! Or an Extreme!

EDIT: Just been reading about it and the Wheel will be removed once the Tower is built lol

I was going to say they could maybe save that money for doing something with the West Pier but then I read at the bottom of the article: "Fingers crossed this will kick start the redevelopment of the West Pier itself." Yay!

That'll probably never be done though - not even the Labour government knew how to redevelop and rejuvenate brown-field sites. They just dumped spanking new buildings on top of old rubble and expected it to revamp the look of area. Sad thing is these new, modernist projects and buildings stick out like dildos in a library and do nothing to improve the image of even places like the West Pier. I'd love to see it happen but knowing our government I'm not holding my breath...

It's in Brighton. What on earth makes the government think people are going to want to see anything from the top of a tower in Brighton? Why doesn't the government stop wasting money on false prestige and actually do something about the nation's debt. I'm sick of seeing crap like this, the Orbit Tower, HS2 and the Olympic Stadiums wasting billions on dead-end concepts that'll never revamp our country's image; not least in the eyes of other countries.

Well I say it would - much like we look to Japan and Germany's transport systems and admire them. St Pancras international is a station of pure beauty, and can only do well to help Britain in its reputation. It's like looking at marks photos of Parc Asterix and wanting to go purely cos of how beautiful it looks!

Yes but look again at Japan and Germany and you can see a transport system that has been maintained and re-invested upon far better than our own. We can't simply magic up our own elitist prestige by dumping some fancy towers and building utterly unnecessary railways with money we don't have across the country and hoping that it'll blot out the fact that the majority of Britain looks like a skid-mark on the Universe. We can't just build what Japan builds and hope it makes the place look better whilst charging however much it takes to keep the proles at bay and the rich ****s in luxury; it doesn't work like that. Besides - it's not like the born-millionaires have to pay the £32bn HS2 is costing...

You can have St. Pancras, but that's been built to be magnificent, just as the majority of Japan and Germany's transport systems have. I'm talking about renovating what we already have - sticking vanity projects like the Orbit Tower on greenfield sites is not going to improve the look and allure of East London unless the government, quite literally, look at ground level and examine what really needs to be improved e.g. housing, roads, local amenities that aren't capitalist hunting grounds, etc., etc.

on greenfield sites is not going to improve the look and allure of East London unless the government, quite literally, look at ground level and examine what really needs to be improved e.g. housing, roads, local amenities that aren't capitalist hunting grounds, etc., etc.

Have you been to East London recently then? That area is being rejuvenated at the moment thanks to things like the improvements to the London Overground and the Olympic area. It's transformed hugely since I first visited three years ago.

Transport systems far improve the areas, interestingly.

The whole extention for East London Line was to give better access, allow that area to get to jobs in a broader area. Improve employment opportunities, and improve the quality of living.

Chances are they won't make money from it in ages. But, it improves the areas dramatically, improves the area, declines crime.. just cos the train or whatever doesn't make money, doesn't mean it doesn't bring benefits worth the cost, hence why they always do cost:benefit ratios.

A ROUGH INTAMIN?! Say it isn't so!!!!

Jesus you get close to the Comet station on the turn into the brakes... And I thought the point of the floor being put on the inner most seats was to REDUCE the bounciness?

Unimpressed... (Unsurprisingly, but considering B&M have brought out 4 smooth looking versions of this, well...)

Well it's transitions seem to be far smoother and more graceful than I305's, but then again that could be due to the nigh-on 100mph speed... Bit disappointed with the reverse Stengel Dive though... thought it looked much snappier than that.