Parks, Rides And Coaster News

MikeC

Does this count as an inversion?

Absolutely!!

The return of a wooden inversion has been an obvious outstanding worlds only (or first successful!) for so long, shame a UK park wasn't up to the challenge of snatching it away first.

Absolutely!!

The return of a wooden inversion has been an obvious outstanding worlds only (or first successful!) for so long, shame a UK park wasn't up to the challenge of snatching it away first.

Funny that, Tussauds/Merlin like worlds first and other records aye.

But the UK market think wooden coasters are unsafe blah-de-blah-de-blah...

Tbh, this doesn't look that safe... Lack of really secure looking supports really, so it would never work over here...

Need a safe and sucessful wooden coaster option before any park would consider something to the degree of this thing...

Silver Dollar City have just screwed up big time by releasing the website for their new ride 12 days early! The site was only up for 20 minutes but that was enough for people to get all of the information... I'll spoiler the info if anybody cares to read it:

Coming Spring 2013

Home

Details

Layot

Fact Sheet

Manufacturer

News

Journal

Photos

Videos

Goods

Concept Art

PUBLIC NOTICE

OUTLAWS BEWARE

BRAVE PIONEERS HEADING WEST!

The world’s most daring wood coaster

is coming to Silver Dollar City!

Screamingly Steep ★ World’s Steepest Drop for a Wood Coaster

Brazenly Bold ★ World’s Only Wood Coaster to Twist Upside Down

Furiously Fast ★ World’s Second Fastest Wood Coaster

Test your grit as you blaze west through the great Ozarks frontier on Outlaw Run. But be on the lookout! Rumors are there’s a rogue outlaw and his unscrupulous gang waiting to ambush your stagecoach along the way. Steel yourself for an adventure of a lifetime filled with heart-pounding, record-breaking thrills.

Get ready to experience how the west was run!

© 2012 Silver Dollar City

399 Silver Dollar City Parkway Branson, Missouri 65616

Apparently there was a picture of the layout aswell and somebody on TPR has it screenshoted. It cannot be posted up though. This apparently confirms the double barrel roll finale rumors.

Credit to a poster on Coasterforce.

Is the track on this different to normal Woodies, eg wheels on the sides for going through the inversions?

It would appear so. Take a look at the bottom right hand corner of this construction pic

Posted Image

It looks to me like the inside of the metal track overhangs the wooden frame the track is sitting on. I would presume this is so the wheel assembly can have a set above and a set bellow the metal part of the track keeping the carriages on there in case of inverted stall.

Why have none of these elements been done before???

A lot of them have, but what makes Outlaw Run such a breakthrough (and one of the main reasons Thorpe need to consider the possibility that this new-generation of Woodie is something their target market would love) is that the ride is primarily a wooden design, though there are up-stop wheels on the trains and steel tracks to manoeuvre safely through the inversions, meaning it classifies as a hybrid. And to have this sort of layout on this coaster type is nothing short of unheard of - that's why you might think they've not been done before.

However, outwards-banking turns are nothing all that new to even Wooden Coaster designs (see: Wodan @ Europa Park). Although Outlaw Run will undoubtedly be the first to try the manoeuvre to such an extreme extent, as Wodan's I believe is featured on the track leading from the station to the lift hill, so the train is barely travelling over 10mph. These elements have also made appearances on S&S' El Loco designs, travelling at similar speeds. But that said, it's very impressive that Outlaw Run will be travelling at over 60mph (estimate - how tall is this thing?) through it's outwards-banked turn.

However, the image earlier in this thread looks to be more of a Stengel Dive to me, but one (the only one I believe) that fully inverts, so it's sort of outwards-banking because the ride rolls to the right but exits the manoeuvre to the left. Whilst Stengel Dives aren't necessarily something new either, I don't believe we've ever seen one on a Woodie (for steelie Stengel Dives, see: Goliath @ Walibi World, Maverick @ Cedar Point).

Don't quote me on this, but I'm sure some pretty wild things have been done with the Woodie design in the past. There's been some built with vertical loops (not entirely sure if any are still in operation), and if I remember correctly one particular coaster (an in-house build which was planned to open as 'The Cannon Coaster') from decades ago at the then world-renowned holiday resort of Coney Island sported a gap in the track, where the train would make a small 'jump' off the track and then land onto the next piece of track at a slightly lower level (the coaster failed during testing and never opened).

But yeah, considering this'll be made with 21st Century hybrid ride technology and not fag-packet physics, Outlaw Run looks absolutely insane, and a real bona-fide winner for Silver Dollar City.

SDC have been giving out 'clues' on their website about the 2013 ride. This is one of them:

http://sdctripplanning.com/clues/clue2.php

In other news, Cedar Point have put this up on their Facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/cedarpoint?sk=app_364041783617057

Six Flags are also supposed to be announcing something on the 30th. Not sure if it is country wide, or all about this 'full throttle' ride going to Magic Mountain...