Parks, Rides And Coaster News

MikeC

INVERT ALL THE RIDES!

Of course, being pedantic (as per usual) the only reason it can have inversions is cos it's not a 'true' wooden coaster... Bloody hybrids, I'd sooooo much rather a GCI (or several) turn up over here before one of these... Especially as this will not help the "Wooden coasters look unsafe" viewpoint...

Well, if Merlin are going by their market research (seems logic) then we won't be getting any kind of pure Woodie for the foreseeable future unless they pull their fingers out of their arses and actually do something like what Outlaw Run is (that is assuming Thorpe don't pull the GCI 2009 Woodie plans off the shelf and actually get a move on re-scaling the ride to fit Island A). Yeah, it's a hybrid design, but that doesn't stop Thorpe from designing a layout that's able to give a decent ride filled with air-time that a normal GCI would give. And if it's got inversions, Thorpe have another easy world record, which we all know they love.

I'm all for a rootsy GCI or hell even an Intamin woodie (hai El Toro), but if a hybrid like Outlaw Run is what it takes to get a half-decent woodie in the UK, then I won't exactly be wielding a pick-axe and a flaming torch come opening day.

P.S. Same goes for Alton, really... If they can get any kind of woodie then win.

To say Silver Dollar City have got an handful on their hands would be a understatement, this looks like a pain to maintain BUT if they can pull it off and it can last (Son of Beast I'm looking at you) this ride could start a new generation of wooden inverting rollercoasters!

But this does look fantastic! And well done Silver Dollar City attempting something different :D

Actually, I prefer the quiet optimism of this woodie on TPM compared to the "it will murder" that Towers Street are saying.

Good point actually. Surely 21st century ride technology (even if it's from Rocky Mountain Construction) would suggest that it's not likely to explode on opening or maim it's riders... All the normal checks would've been done.

Soooooo who wants a new Wingrider? Cedar Point do!

Posted Image

Will Thorpe be moaning at Cedar Fair for 'stealing their loop' again? This does look excessively fab though, the Zero-Gs over the turnstiles are a brilliant concept really... Yay for Cedar Point getting a good B&M!

Like X-Flight, it's the left hand side that flips over the top, as opposed to the right like with Swarm. Also seems to be more akin to X-Flight's first drop, where it starts twisting then dropping, unlike Swarm, which does the full 180 degree twist, then drops.

Also, I spy a fair few inversions - at least 7 or 8? Love the look of the layout, and those key hole element look great!

I count six inversions. It looks like seven because the element just after the Immelman loop (inversion two) is partially unclear, though if you look at the other pictures (viewable on Coaster Force or where these pictures originally leaked) it is actually a pretty enormous air-time hill. Looks fab, does this ride.

Looks great, also looks like there is an MCBR in there too, so the first 3 train Wing-Rider? Also 8-row trains... Gonna be a great high capacity coaster for the front of the park! Colours look fresh, and around 170ft tall with a top speed of around 67mph, sounds impressive! :o

That airtime hill looks promising, although the stretch of track leading up to that may be a prime spot for a trim knowing B&M. :ninja: Looks like a great coaster anyway, The Swarm's Zero-G is one of the best inversions I've ever experienced so 2 of them should be brilliant!

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-19302620

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned; the Scenic Railway and Dreamland in Margate as a whole has been saved and will be developed into an amusement park. It originally opened in 1920 and closed its doors in 2006. It's fantastic to see all the endeavours and campaigns to save Dreamland have paid off.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks as if it will have a connected spine, and the way the trains appear to be timed from that video (one leaving the 'top hat' just as another begins to do the loop) makes me think it's done because of a connected spine. Not too sure about that though, but it makes sense.

Interesting ride from Premier really. That backwards launch thing though - just what? :P

Miserable bunch, I think it looks excitingly different.

The backward launch then drop to forward rolling lunch over the top of the previous loop is inspired. I love the stomach leaving behind feeling that will give, like Thunder Looper used to. Could be enough to get me back out there tbh.

I'm no engineer or physics genius, but maybe the backwards launch is put in to save energy and act as a gimmick? I could be completely wrong here, but surely the launch would require less energy if the train was already moving than if the train was stationary? I know a backwards launch would require energy to be done as well, but maybe it would require less energy than it would be to launch the car to the speed of the third launch from 0mph which would result in some energy/money being saved. I'm guessing that there has to be some sort of a stopping of the train in that tunnel thing for whatever reason, so maybe the backwards launch is there to:

A. Add something to the ride that is more interesting than a sudden stop/ start in the same direction. (A gimmick)

B. Add time to the ride

C. Save energy and money for the park

Now I could be wrong, so I'd appreciate it if somebody who actually knows their stuff could point out why if that is the case. If my energy saving concept isn't/couldn't be correct, then we can conclude that Magic Mountain really do not care about throughput...

EDIT: Only just seen UC's post on CoasterForce, I didn't steal his idea!

I'd say not, they are stopping the train to launch it backwards, so they are removing a load of potential energy only to add it again by launching backwards and letting it drop. They must be doing it because it will be an unusual and enjoyable thing to do!

It will make next to no difference to the throughput, just be the same as if that first section was about 10 seconds longer than it is.