Fright Nights 2015

spoon

I like the marketing they've got for Big Top right now. The videos are significantly better than previous ones, it looks like they've taken some inspiration from any of the American horror story teasers. The 'cliche' they put into the Big Top videos works as it's got this dark humour to it, almost Evil Dead-ish. Jump scares within teasers are very common now, so this weird creepy uneasy feel they have is good! It's like with films, I'd rather watch one that made me feel uneasy and creeped out rather than one with loads of obvious jump scares. (Unless it's an 80's horror, then that last statement is untrue)

The fact is, I've never been scared or intimidated by ANY thorpe marketing.... and their videos look consistently cheap

Enjoy some jumpy Thorpe marketing...

The teaser video for The Passing back in 2012 was also rather creepy.  And the 2010 one was a bit intimidating too.  Unfortunately I can't find links to either of them now!

So some of the teaser videos in the past have been a bit scary / intimidating.  I think it's worth remembering that teaser videos are just meant to give a glimpse as to what to expect (that should be a general thing for things like films, TV shows, etc, not just scare mazes!), so they won't always have to be that scary.  

Also, I can't not put in the Freezer advert here, just for the sheer hilarity of it:

Part of me wishes they'd stay away from cheesy stuff though. To me, a teaser trailer with tension/suspense is scarier than one with a clown eating green things or blood etc.

When I go to inside an attraction at Fright Nights, I know that I'm not going to be eaten, tortured or murdered. I know cliché horror advertising works for Thorpe Parks demographic, but I'd love to see an attraction all about tension.

For example, a maze advertised in a way that builds up to something physical (like a room at the end, an object) would be terrifying. Take Oblivion for example. On my first time, the whole experience was frightening because you get a message drilled into your head before riding, however you're never told what is inside the whole, or how deep it really is. The hole in the ground isn't something hard to understand like a computer system or aliens, it's something so simple yet dramatic at the same time!

I'm probably making no sense at all...

Closest mazes I have done to this is Experiment 10 (not really) and Thirteen Seance. The first few minutes was just walking down a pitch black corridor towards a door. It was scarier than it sounds.

just to add to the general thoughts, I dont find anything about the big tops marketing to be 'cliché' (except the fact that it's a clown based maze of course) . it's just... really really dark. not even creepy... disturbing almost. much like I said... the sub species trailer followed suit and was disturbing as all hell... I love the marketing for the mazes this year a lot. it also seem the budget for the teasers has gone right up too... none of its tacky or anything. I hope thorpe keep this up :-)

also that freezer advert is incredible :lol:

Closest mazes I have done to this is Experiment 10 (not really) and Thirteen Seance. The first few minutes was just walking down a pitch black corridor towards a door. It was scarier than it sounds.

No that's the sort of thing I like! I find that so much scarier than a bloke in a mask jumping out at me. 

Isn't Blair Witch basically an attraction all about tension?  The finale is still a bit lacklustre, but the whole of the route before then is all about building the tension, making you wonder what's ahead, etc.  I guess the fact that it only has a 2/5 star rating speaks volumes about what Thorpe / Thorpe's target market think about tension-building attractions though?

In a way I suppose you're right, but BWP (for me) was a bit of a fail. I could see a metal fence on my left the entire time and wooden walls on the right. I never felt like I was in a mysterious forest or anything! And as you mentioned, the finale was a shed. Literally just a shed.

Good question. The rides are definitely awesome at night, they take on a different personality depending on how lit up with spot lighting they are. For instance, Inferno has very little lighting around it so it's like zooming around in complete darkness and is disorienting and awesome in equal measure. Colossus is lit up like a christmas tree so isn't all that different from the day. Stealth is particularly awesome from the top as you get the briefest view of a green lit Thorpe. The Swarm is also awesome especially when the fire effect goes off.

Majority of rides stay open during Fright Nights, only rides like Loggers close down for the night. It's worth a visit. Someone else will be able to answer your maze questions as I'm not particularly interested in them.

Hi guys, Having never been to Fright Nights I was wondering what it is like riding the coasters in the dark. Is it fairly dark or is the area floodlit? Is it just the coasters that open on fright nights or do other rides open? Just trying to get a feel of what fright night is about.

how about answering this with some pics. These are my 2013 pics from the opening night of frightnights

https://goo.gl/photos/zT3eugTzChymppKH6

and a couple of shameless plugs to the lives we tend to do over at TN, They will give you quite an idea of the lighting of the areas and also what the mazes were like.

Last years TN live http://live.towersnerd.com/?event=47

2013 TN Live http://live.towersnerd.com/?event=42

Hi guys, Having never been to Fright Nights I was wondering what it is like riding the coasters in the dark. Is it fairly dark or is the area floodlit? Is it just the coasters that open on fright nights or do other rides open? Just trying to get a feel of what fright night is about.

Stealth in the dark is the best

Interesting, I'd say it's the weakest one so far (in my opinion of course). Bit generic, the previous videos were decent I guess! I am looking forward to doing this attraction (if I go again this year) however after the last three years of lame Fright Nights, I have low expectations!

2010/11 Fright Nights were great! 

Agree with Altitude that this is the weakest one this year; obviously one just to keep the hype train chugging along.

In a way I suppose you're right, but BWP (for me) was a bit of a fail. I could see a metal fence on my left the entire time and wooden walls on the right. I never felt like I was in a mysterious forest or anything! And as you mentioned, the finale was a shed. Literally just a shed.

BWP was very meh in its first year, but last year it was fab. There's still loads of room for improvement of course, but I do think they're heading in the right direction! Would be interesting to see them try the tension idea in an indoor maze though.

Just noticed that the £1 charge is not a booking fee, as I tried to order for two passes and it charges per pass.  So this is essentially an event fee despite the fact that it was advertised as FREE.

I'm sorry, but if they were doing this to limit numbers then it would be a £1 booking fee per order, this is clearly just a way to squeeze just that little bit more money out of loyal customers.

I noticed this too. What I think is the case is that this £1 fee is a "reservation fee" (as opposed to a "booking fee" like originally assumed). So, what the park are essentially saying is "You can reserve your space in advance for a £1 charge, or arrive on the day for free, but risk being turned away". Last year, the park were essentially saying "You can reserve your space in advance for free, or arrive on the day for free, but risk being turned away".

It's no different to what was initially expected I reckon (that this is happening to stop people bulk pre-booking for days they may not go to), but they've phrased it rather badly.

Quick q about FN, I wouldn't dream of taking my nipper in any of the mazes, he won't even go on Saw because of the indoor section (he's 11 and always had issues with the dark), but is it safe to take him on park? I know it seems strange but he likes riding the coasters in the dark, especially swarm. Anyway I know they have a recommended age of 13, but is that just for the mazes or for the whole park in general?

Do the live actors do the 'running up behind you screaming' part only in the mazes or everywhere?

There will be roaming actors around the park. Their job will almost definitely be to add to the atmosphere and indeed scare people. Some may go around with the intention of going to people and trying to scare them, others may wait for people to approach then before interacting.

It can be pot luck whether you see them or not though. They might also be instructed to not scare guests outside of mazes of they look particularly afraid of the actors, but that's not something I'd say with certainty to be honest!

It's good to see that they have added an explanation about the £1 fee on the website, at least.

Premium Annual Pass Holders:

The £1 reservation fee is optional. If you turn up at FRIGHT NIGHTS and the park is not at capacity, you will of course be admitted to the park. Last year we reached capacity on a number of days and had to turn Premium Annual Passholders away due to the park being full.
By reserving your ticket for FRIGHT NIGHTS, you will be guarantee your admission to the park.
The £1 reservation fee is to make sure people who reserve their ticket use them. In the past, we have seen Passholders making reservation and not turning up, using tickets other Passholders would have enjoyed.