The Smiler Incident 02/06/2015

Ian-S

Some of the images posted do have people with blood on their faces and what-not (not surprising)...

Based on that POV, the time-frame between noticing the ride had stalled and being able to stop the next train would have been very small indeed...

Some of the images posted do have people with blood on their faces and what-not (not surprising)...

Based on that POV, the time-frame between noticing the ride had stalled and being able to stop the next train would have been very small indeed...

Yeah I don't blame the operators at all to be honest; if the ride stalls the block system is a fail safe to stop human error, not the other way around!

Could the current weather have caused the car to stall, or to be at a greater risk of doing so? Apologies if I sound ignorant if it's obvious.

This is actually quite shocking and I really hope everyone is as well as they can be. This can't be the park's fault yet I feel it will rest on their shoulders in the eyes of the GP.

EDIT: Just seen Tommy's link, this is absolutely devastating, although I hope this is nothing more than a rumour of sorts. I don't recall anything so bad in the UK atleasy from my own memory.

Really shocked watching this on the news and reading about the incident - hoping all involved in the collision make a speedy recovery.  Also feel for those who witnessed it happening and hearing the screams for help from riders.

If it wasn't an operator fault and was caused by the ride system that is scary stuff

Absolutely horrible thing to happen, I feel so sorry for the people on the ride and hope that they make a full recovery.

I was on The Smiler last week and me and my family all commented that it felt slower than usual - was there already something wrong with it?

Gerstlauer have got a lot to answer for with this ride.  Neglect of a proper ride system is a serious matter, as has been proven today.

Can't embed tweet but

- Click

I'm not believing any claims like that until it's confirm via a proper news source...

The ride system should have been able to stop the ride. No excuses on how little time the system had. What it does mean is that the ride hosts could have done very little to stop it.

No-one is disagreeing that the ride system was the issue here... Just saying that the time available to ride ops (and guests) to notice the valley and being able to stop the next train is tiny, given that usually a train is on that lift hill by the time a train hits the brakes before the vertical one...

The 'history of accidents' in the Sky news article I just read is so exaggerated it's practically all lies, the things people will write just to make the story worse or more dramatic is ridiculous :angry: All it's going to do is make people panic more when it isn't necessary...

EDIT: This seems quite a reliable live feed if anyone's interested:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/11646279/Alton-Towers-Smiler-ride-crash.html

• Marc unpinned this topic