The Smiler Incident 02/06/2015

Ian-S

Alton towers is closed tomorrow.

The decision has been taken that Alton Towers theme park will not open tomorrow Wednesday 3rd June following the dreadful incident on The Smiler today. All guests with pre-booked tickets, or those who arrive at the theme park, will have the choice of either having their tickets revalidated for an alternative date or a full refund. 
We will be posting regular updates on the theme park closure on both our website and social media channels.

Sorry if this is disturbing, you don't have to watch it but someone posted a longer version of the video posted earlier on in the thread.

I think the most shocking thing is hearing the people on the ride.

I'd seen the shorter version of this - this video is horrible, like you say hearing people on the ride who must have been terrified.  I don't think I could continue filming if something like this happened, would be too shocked I think.

Humans are selfish creatures. Whilst the world continues to shrink it is only when something that affects your little sphere of existence that you become moved. I saw the boat capsize this lunch time and it slipped off me, sliding past my field of concern like butter in a pan. Then, shortly after 2pm I received a text. A text that, at the time, I belittled and passed off as someone having a prank. But I sat in my office for the rest of the afternoon, unable to work, unable to tear my eyes from the forums and news feeds. Gradually feeling sicker and sicker.Every moment came with it a dawning realisation. Initially I had foolishly wished that I was on the car and could witness an evac from a valleyed position, then I heard that there was a collision of 2 trains and I started to regret my wish. I could very well have been on park today, if not for a last minute change to Thursday. That could have been me sitting on Smiler. Suddenly it all hit home and I felt beyond sick. I sat pale and unable to not watch more. I walked home as an air ambulance flew overhead, landing at North Staffs, and I thought, I hope your going to be ok to the person sat on board, I walked past a lady who was crying. it was probably unrelated but that along with every sad face I saw on my walk home filled me with sorrow beyond words.

So that's why I am writing this couple of paragraphs, to say that my heart goes out to everyone involved:

To the people on the ride, who were unlucky enough to be on the car when this happened.

To the other guests at the park who are now on their way homes feeling lucky to be alive.

To the friends and families of anyone who was on park today. (I had 4 worried texts making sure I wasn't at alton)

To the staff who worked on Smiler today who will, no doubt, need as many friends as they have tonight.

To the staff working throughout the park, from ride hosts to management who will, I am sure, all shed a tear sometime tonight.

To the staff who work at any theme park who will be silently glad that it wasn't their park and feel guilty for that thought.

And even to every one of the 'fan-boys' and 'fan-girls' who sat like I did, from shortly after 2pm in shock.

Totally agree with you on this post - I've also found this shocking and been glued to internet/TV and forums all afternoon.  Thoughts go out to all those involved either directly or indirectly.  Really hope those injured recover quickly but also thoughts go out to those who witnessed the collision - I found that video chilling to watch so God knows how horrible it would have been to be there when it happened

Alton towers is closed tomorrow.

The decision has been taken that Alton Towers theme park will not open tomorrow Wednesday 3rd June following the dreadful incident on The Smiler today. All guests with pre-booked tickets, or those who arrive at the theme park, will have the choice of either having their tickets revalidated for an alternative date or a full refund. 

We will be posting regular updates on the theme park closure on both our website and social media channels.

Quoted for new page.

I honestly feel awful. I went in September last year and just to think that the restraints that they are cutting people out of at this very moment I could have been sat in the exact same seat just months before (I rode the front twice). I felt chilled and I am truly shocked. I hadn't seen the news and was informed by a single text message from my mum. My heart is with all those involved and their loved ones.

I was at Thorpe all day today completely unaware of what was going on at Alton. Horrifying to hear about after spending the day at a park. I've just been reading everything here to catch up and I'm glad I did because it seems like one of the more accurate presentations of what happened.

My thoughts are with everyone involved however directly or indirectly.

The only way in my opinion for Alton to get rid of this valley issue and risk another accident, is to make Gerstlauer redesign and manufacture a new batwing element. From the start, that has been one big mistake from Gerstlauer's part and they should have been willing to get that inversion rebuilt, whatever the cost. In regards to the malfunction of the car with riders being allowed to continue it's course, I cannot say anything else until the results of the investigation have been published.

Been talking to someone on Instagram who apparently is a cousin of one of those seriously injured. Now I cannot say whether she is a faker or not but apparently she has been given over £100,000 in compensation ALREADY. Hmmmmm. Apparently the girls cousin is 18 and has broken both legs.

Wouldn't be a surprise that Merlin would instantly be giving compensation, if only to keep things out of court...

Not the first time they've done it... But any sensible company in this situation would be offering high levels of comp, especially given the high likelihood of broken bones...

West Midlands Ambulance Service said two men, aged 18 and 27, and two women, aged 19 and 17, suffered "significant lower limb injuries". They were airlifted to trauma centres in Stoke and Coventry for treatment.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-32980354

Remember, it's always worth taking things from social media with a big pinch of salt, especially if it's someone claiming to be related to an injured guest.

Ah, I'll talk to this 'cousin' who says that the girl was 18 then. I did wonder if it was fake, but it is better than nothing at the moment.Also I followed this 'cousin' on Instagram and she has only one post and it's from two hours ago and she doesn't look that sad or anything. So should I rule her off as fake?

• Marc unpinned this topic