The Smiler Incident 02/06/2015

Ian-S

I'm on park today despite the park bring closed (due to poor planning weeks ago).

The trains on Air are testing currently and the nemesis music is also playing.

Been going golf, treetop quest and a general walk around as that's all there's to do at the moment. Staff are very friendly but the main entrance is closed do we've been having to go through the staff/goods one instead.

I was at Thorpe Park today and saw a few people wearing smiler t shirts. Now that made me think, would it be a tad insensitive to wear smiler merch atm. I definitely wouldn't wear any of it myself (although I wouldn't anyway), but is it still acceptable to?

People have been discussing this a fair bit in the MAP holders FB group. One person said they wore their Smiler hoodie out and a stranger told them they were being insensitive! Which is pretty insensitive itself, to go up to someone you don't know and make such a bold claim. I can kind of see where they're coming from, but then again it's likely to be enthusiasts who wear the merch, and they're certainly not going to be insensitive (plus will be more knowledgable on how rides/operations work, not sucked in by ridiculous media claims and more supportive of Merlin). As some have pointed out, you could argue that you're wearing the merch to show your respect :P

It would depend on how obvious it is too. The hoodie with the massive logo would obviously draw more attention than the one I have (the "Corrected" one). I just hope I won't need an umbrella at any point soon as the only one I have is a Smiler one :blush:

Alton towers opens tomorrow!

Here is a statement from their facebook page:

Alton Towers Theme Park will re-open at 10am tomorrow, Monday 8th June 2015.

Due to the ongoing investigation into the incident on The Smiler last Tuesday, X-Sector will remain closed until further notice.

For more information please visit the FAQ page below

www.altontowers.com/FAQ

Lets hope people support the park, when they open as Merlin have handled this impeccably and I think people should support that :)

Source: https://www.facebook.com/altontowersresort?fref=ts

edit: damn it Armarghh sort of beat me to it haha :P

Excellent news! The people on Facebook are rejoicing though they may of left it a little too late in the day to inform some people...

I'm glad Alton can once again be in operation and once the dust as settled, all the bad media will disappear. 

It seems all the four victims of the crash are in more stable conditions as-well, so good news all round!

See you Thursday Alton!  ^_^

I can already see journalists planning to get in tomorrow to see if they can take some snaps of smiler, if Alton Towers were wise they would start the barrier from spinball. But I'm glad they can open again. I assume that Sonic is closed for the same reason as Rattlesnake and Dragon's Fury and will be closed until they have trained all staff with new safety protocols so I assume it won't be closed for too much longer :)

I would guess as a "Multi car" coaster Oblivion may have closed anyway whilst these new procedures are implemented. What I don't understand is why Wild Mouse style rides are effected(I know there are more blocks), but rides like X and The Dragon aren't.

I would guess as a "Multi car" coaster Oblivion may have closed anyway whilst these new procedures are implemented. What I don't understand is why Wild Mouse style rides are effected(I know there are more blocks), but rides like X and The Dragon aren't.

I wouldn't be surprised to see The Dragon only running two trains at the moment, and X has only been running two all season for some strange reason.

Rides and attractions are subject to availability, there are over 51 (50, 49, 48...) fantastical attractions to choose from etc.

Rides being closed due to the ramifications of this incident are a small price to pay, at least the park has reopened...

Does anyone know what the additional layer/s of security are, as mentioned by Nick Varney in the Sky interview?  I recall he said that the extra steps had been introduced on all multi-car rides, apart from some (e.g. Fury, Rattlesnake) which would be closed for a short while until they could be implemented.  So I am guessing that on others (presumably including The Dragon), these extra steps are already in force.

Just wondering if anyone involved on the rides was aware what these extra steps actually are?

Cheers

^ Probably not. And even if they did, Merlin staff have a strict media policy so they wouldn't be allowed to say anything anyway :P

Relieved that the park is back open! :) Shame the same can't be said for everyone:

From this BBC article.

A number of people who had pre-booked tickets for Monday have said they will not now attend.

Student Louise Riley, who had planned to visit Alton Towers with a group of friends, said they did not want to feel "like guinea pigs" on the first day since the accident.

"It's also that we're quite a bit nervous that other rides have been closed as well," she said. "It makes you question the safety of all the rides."

Top class muppetry right there -_-

• Marc unpinned this topic