The Smiler Incident 02/06/2015

Ian-S

Ah yes but the queue time of the smiler fell from 80 minutes which it had been around for 2 hours to 40 minutes just an hour before. Also the evidence they added a train is based of a few witnesses. Your justification is invalid as it disproves yours as well. The accounts of people on the train are going to be a little more accurate I think.

So I don't know if any of you have read sky news latest article on the smiler but from what they are saying is that the smiler may never re open. To be quite honest with you all I think I will wait to see what towers say as that's the only 100% truth we will get.

http://news.sky.com/story/1505306/alton-towers-smiler-ride-may-never-reopen

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Emphasis on the word "may".

To be honest, it's like when they say "kills up to 99.9% of bacteria". All it really means is "we have no clue, and are just dressing it up to get your attention."

The article title is nothing more than clickbait. Simple.

Maybe a little off topic but most bleaches kill 100% of bacteria its just that it's impossible to prove it kills everything. So as a result to avoid false advertisement claims they say 99.9%

Who remembers when it stalled there about this time last year however when this car got sent this time last year it had the water dummies in the car is there a problem with the track at this point on the ride or is it just a coincidence?

It stalls there not infrequently. That could be considered an underlying fault with the ride as it shouldn't be a regular occurrence, but it is not really at the heart of this incident. All coasters have the potential to stall which is why they have the block sensor systems, how that system was bypassed or failed is what 'caused' the collision, not the ride car being there.

And if smiler does have a fault is it likely that saw will have the same fault?

I doubt it's likely, I know nothings confirmed but to me this seems more of a problem with how the block system was overridden. If Saw does have that same issue it'll probably never happen due to the extra caution that'll be taken after the smiler's incident  

It's no more a problem than Stealth's rollback habit.

Yes and no.. Stealth is designed to roll back and isnt an issue in its self, Smiler stalling will be a much bigger deal as the train needs to be craned off the tracks. But as Pluk said - the stall wasnt really the main issue here.

And if smiler does have a fault is it likely that saw will have the same fault?

I think it is safe to say that Merlin now know exactly the chain of events which led to this incident being possible. They were able to make a quick fix to a number of rides and open them, they still have Saw closed. I think then that the exact same circumstances could play out on Saw, which would make sense as they are very similar. They'll need something in place to counter that before they reopen it. It will be more than being 'extra cautious' I'm sure!

Please excuse my ignorance here, but given there has been (newspaper scaremongering) reports that Smiler will never re-open, it dawned on me that the problem was that 2 cars came together on the track.

So if there were genuine concerns about having 2 cars running simultaneously on the track, wouldn't Alton Towers just consider having it as a 1 car ride in the future? 

Due to the design of the ride, the loading station etc, they may not be able to have longer cars, so may just send 16 people round at a time on a 1 car ride?

Yes, it would mean horrible queues, but surely that would be a better option than ripping down an £18m ride, just as the media have suggested over the weekend?

As I say, I have never worked at a park so I don't know how these things work, but wanted to know if Merlin would consider re-opening on a 1 car system, or if they could, in some way, extend the cars to mean more people would get on, whilst still only running 1 car at a time.

Cheers! 

Please excuse my ignorance here, but given there has been (newspaper scaremongering) reports that Smiler will never re-open, it dawned on me that the problem was that 2 cars came together on the track.

So if there were genuine concerns about having 2 cars running simultaneously on the track, wouldn't Alton Towers just consider having it as a 1 car ride in the future? 

Due to the design of the ride, the loading station etc, they may not be able to have longer cars, so may just send 16 people round at a time on a 1 car ride?

Yes, it would mean horrible queues, but surely that would be a better option than ripping down an £18m ride, just as the media have suggested over the weekend?

As I say, I have never worked at a park so I don't know how these things work, but wanted to know if Merlin would consider re-opening on a 1 car system, or if they could, in some way, extend the cars to mean more people would get on, whilst still only running 1 car at a time.

Cheers! 

One car operation on The Smiler would be absolute chaos considering the popularity and length of the ride as well as the fact that it only seats 16 people.  They could however operate it with one car and timed slots but I can't see that being viable as a long term solution.

• Marc unpinned this topic