The Smiler Incident 02/06/2015

Ian-S

Seems highly unlikely. Until it has been signed off by HSE, Alton Towers cannot open the ride to the public.

For all we know the prohibition notice could have been lifted.

If we think back to the rides construction it had a prohibition notice placed on it then but there was never an official release that said it had been lifted so it is quite plausible that HSE have already deemed it safe to operate.

I do hope that estop button isn't on the 'public' side of the fence....

Given that new phone box looking device that's appeared on the fence by the batwing, I wonder if one of the conditions pushed onto the park will be a live observer will have to be positioned there all the time the ride is in operation?

that estop button is by the entrance? and there's usually a member of staff there anyway, so probably won't be too much different. although I can see so many rules and procedures in place in as part of an overreaction of health and safety, some probably ridiculous.

Health and safety over reacting after a very public and life changing incident...

Given that new phone box looking device that's appeared on the fence by the batwing, I wonder if one of the conditions pushed onto the park will be a live observer will have to be positioned there all the time the ride is in operation?

That new box now has a padlock over it, so I doubt it'll constantly be in use.

My bet is that when it breaks down, the ride will need to be reset from that box to confirm the track has been looked at? Can't think of what else it could be. 

That new box now has a padlock over it, so I doubt it'll constantly be in use.

My bet is that when it breaks down, the ride will need to be reset from that box to confirm the track has been looked at? Can't think of what else it could be. 

Yes that's what I was thinking too - so you can't just reset from the control room. 

I expect an extra block has been added to the system and the box houses a block reset switch.

So in the event of a shutdown the blocks need to be reset by making someone attend the bat wing and enabling a resart by visually seeing the track is clear then enabling the block reset if a train is on a block you dont declare it clear.

A typical coster like Colossus has a brake, station, lift and top of lift to breaks is a block.

Obvously various coasters are more in depth like saw smiler ect.

Noticed on Twitter now rather then saying the smiler will remain closed for the foreseeable future they have changed the wording to we would like to re open the smiler but the final decision will be made after we have undertaken all the necessary steps!!! Dunno if this means anything or not!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know they would want the investigation finished as soon as possible; but if they didn't have the intention of reopening it this year we may not be seeing all this work going on in open season, as the testing has made its way to the newspapers which otherwise they would have wanted to keep it completely in the dark and forgotten until next year.

• Marc unpinned this topic