The Smiler Incident 02/06/2015

Ian-S

Because the owner* is ultimately responsible for the training and work ethic of it's employee, this is how it was 20-30 years ago before companies started shirting their responsibilities and saying 'hey we trained him, not our fault he made a mistake' and employing expensive lawyers to hang their staff out to dry.

I think as this story get's clarified we'll find that both Merlin and the ride operator will be prosecuted, although the ride operator may not be, likely outcome is a huge fine, millions upon millions for Merlin, not much else they can do as nobody died.

*I assume we all know Merlin don't own Alton Towers, they operate it under lease from the man who does own it, but I'll humour Sky and the BBC until someone wakes up there and reports it properly,

^Nail on head...

As it is private property, the owner/leaser has the final buck in regards to the safety and security of visitors... Given that the incident came down to 'human error' then as the operator they have to take full responsibility for the incident... HSE tend to deal with companies rather than individuals...

Means that the park will be charged in court, which will probably mean more cuts to the operations throughout after a fine payable to HSE... I doubt that Merlin will please Not Guilty in this...

The hearing will be on 22nd April, Merlin's statement indicates they will plead guilty, it's a charge of failing to reasonably ensure the safety of patrons while on site, due I'd imagine by overriding the safety procedure built into the ride and not visually checking the track before restarting the thing.

^Nail on head...

As it is private property, the owner/leaser has the final buck in regards to the safety and security of visitors... Given that the incident came down to 'human error' then as the operator they have to take full responsibility for the incident... HSE tend to deal with companies rather than individuals...

Means that the park will be charged in court, which will probably mean more cuts to the operations throughout after a fine payable to HSE... I doubt that Merlin will please Not Guilty in this...

I doubt it will mean more cuts - Merlin no doubt will have expected this and will have been in mind it's budgets.

The fines imposed by HSE are normally not very big, you can look at previous fines on their website.

Define "not very big"...

Baring in mine HSE can charge people for really safety incidents (not even loss of limb, but perhaps back injuries due to poor work practices), it could be anything...

You'd think an incident which involved 5 people being seriously injured, 2 with actual life-changing injuries, wouldn't exactly result in a small slap on the wrist style fine...

Gerst can't be responsible for the procedures regarding a blocking system being over-ridden by ride-ops. If Merlin did not have the correct training/procedures in place, then - that's where the buck stops?

EDIT to say - are we to assume from this headline that the operator who performed the over-ride is negated of all responsibility?

Just thought that I'd say that the ride operators themselves cannot over-ride the block system. Therefore if the blame was to be placed on an individual they wouldn't be wholly responsible.

Define "not very big"...

Baring in mine HSE can charge people for really safety incidents (not even loss of limb, but perhaps back injuries due to poor work practices), it could be anything...

You'd think an incident which involved 5 people being seriously injured, 2 with actual life-changing injuries, wouldn't exactly result in a small slap on the wrist style fine...

I mean, not big enough to have a significant impact on merlin's finances.

Just thought that I'd say that the ride operators themselves cannot over-ride the block system. Therefore if the blame was to be placed on an individual they wouldn't be wholly responsible.

I was literally just thinking this and was about to post!

Only engineers can perform a manual override. Basically, when there is a technical difficulty with a ride: the operator has to call control to inform them, control sends an engineer(s) to the ride, and should they need to touch the controls at all, the ride is then in their control only. The operator and attendants cannot touch anything unless the engineer instructs them to. Once the engineer is happy/the ride is fixed, it is then signed back over to the rides team, and operations continue as normal.

Rides staff are generally not trained on manual controls/overrides, unless it's part of an emergency procedure. On many rides, it is physically impossible without an engineer, as they would need to insert their key or enter a password. There can be exceptions for operators being allowed to use manual controls - for example, when I worked at Thorpe and Samurai had frequent issues zeroing (for those who don't know - the position it has to be in once the cycle has finished, before it can lower back down); operators would just need to phone control to inform them, and would then be allowed to put the ride in manual so that they could manually position and lower it to the platform (obviously much quicker and easier than calling an engineer or manager every time). But on a modern coaster like Smiler, I seriously doubt the operator could just manually override things without an engineer.

My guess is that the engineer was there, and either did it themselves, or incorrectly instructed the operator. Also, according to the articles: "The theme park said staff misunderstood a shutdown message and wrongly restarted the ride."

I said renamed, also it wasn't officially confirmed was it?

By giving a ride a new name you are altering the original theme, so in this instance retheme is the correct phrase IMO.

I'm sure it was officially confirmed by Merlin but not much exposure was given to it. I believe it was mentioned on a conference call where the details of the call were made public.

This is good news for the ride. Hopefully the ride will have a smooth 2016 and future [as it needs it].

In others news, despite losing 6 rides [4 SBNO], ticket prices have gone up again with adult tickets now costing £51.60 [a £1.20 rise]. However online/advance prices have been dropped slightly with tickets 2-4 days ahead 15% cheaper and 5 day plus tickets being 30% cheaper.

To encourage people to book online, it's crap.

I understand the logic but I think they would be better off lowering the price significantly (both on the gate and online) to encourage people back - especially as they're essentially offering a hugely reduced version of the park this year.

6 rides closed and a price increase just doesn't add up.

I'm struggling how to respond to that article - does she really need an extra few hundred quid from The Mirror?

I know it's incredibly awful what's happened, obviously it is, and of course she is going to never want to ride it again, hates Alton Towers, all theme parks etc. etc. - but some of those comments in that article are beyond stupid. 

• Marc unpinned this topic