The Smiler Incident 02/06/2015

Ian-S

It's not bad this being in the press though. Those who are set against visiting ever again had already made that choice, this doesn't change that. The papers are advertising when the ride will reopen, so for the many people constantly asking Towers when it will open and not returning until it reopens this answers their question. Gets it all out of the way and hopefully by summer the whole thing will hardly be mentioned. Plus, it makes people want to go opening weekend as if this, Air and the 6 closing rides were closed what would be the point. At least there will be 5 major coasters open now and Galactica will be up by easter.

I think this was a day alot of enthusiast (including myself) have been waiting for.

I'm glad The Smiler has finally got confirmation, I was worried due to the court case it would postpone the opening. I'm surprised they've decided the first Saturday of the season to open it, but the sooner the better.

As for that certain victims comment in that certain newspaper... 

Di7rl4M.gif

Thats all. 

I don't think you can blame any of the victims for wanting the thing torn down - it's easy to judge when none of us can come close to imagining the trauma these people have been through.

The mirror are twisting her words for a sensational headline though which they will always do - it's probably best to get it all out the way now so the park can get on with the season and opening Galactica.

Think the thing is though, when people lose limbs (or worse) in a car/train/etc crash, you don't see any call for them to be closed/removed...

It's a whole necessity concept, we view transport services as essential and write off any incidents as part and parcel, but because rides are an amusement/un-essential delight and don't have these accidents happen on a large scale (especially in the UK) it's all torch and pitchforks...

Imagine our press with the incidents on Bizarro/Texas Giant...

Think the thing is though, when people lose limbs (or worse) in a car/train/etc crash, you don't see any call for them to be closed/removed...

It's a whole necessity concept, we view transport services as essential and write off any incidents as part and parcel, but because rides are an amusement/un-essential delight and don't have these accidents happen on a large scale (especially in the UK) it's all torch and pitchforks...

Imagine our press with the incidents on Bizarro/Texas Giant...

Oh don't get me wrong I totally agree with you - but on the other hand I totally see / understand why the victims would not want it to reopen.

Oh don't get me wrong I totally agree with you - but on the other hand I totally see / understand why the victims would not want it to reopen.

I see why too, but I don't agree with the part about safety. I mean, if the ride wasn't safe, health and safety wouldnt have let it open.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

But Marc, my point is that Swarm has suffered breakdowns (it doesn't matter if its managed to not close for an entire day, its still had them), and it has also dumped a bolt...

Same for Vampire and many other rides worldwide actually... So close them all I say!

I feel like the theme will be watered down alot, the key focus of The Smiler will be the worlds first element. 

I can see alot of the things (including merchandise) replaced with references to the inversions instead of the correction theme.

It'll be disappointing if they do, and I hope I'm wrong but it feels like the logically thing to do when you theme screams 'correction of the body & mind'.

It'll be also interesting to see if the TLC programme will move onto The Smiler after this year has passed, I hope so because the ride looks like a mess at the moment, with Nemesis recent re-paint, a 22 year old ride will look better than a 3 year old ride!

I feel like the theme will be watered down alot, the key focus of The Smiler will be the worlds first element.

I can see alot of the things (including merchandise) replaced with references to the inversions instead of the correction theme.

It'll be disappointing if they do, and I hope I'm wrong but it feels like the logically thing to do when you theme screams 'correction of the body & mind'.

It'll be also interesting to see if the TLC programme will move onto The Smiler after this year has passed, I hope so because the ride looks like a mess at the moment, with Nemesis recent re-paint, a 22 year old ride will look better than a 3 year old ride!

Could always remove the body part?

They let it open in the first place... Look what happened...

Not sure what you mean but I meant to say re open, if that has something to do with it.

I assume you mean the breakdowns and shearing bolts?

Best close down Swarm then, its a danger to everyone...

You said if the ride wasn't safe they wouldn't let it open... Health and Safety originally passed it as safe and it ended up crashing. Who's to say it wouldn't happen again?

If HSE weren't satisfied that the incident couldn't be repeated they wouldn't have lifted the prohibition notice.

The new safety procedures and systems they have in place ensure that an incident such as the one on 2nd June can never be repeated.

You said if the ride wasn't safe they wouldn't let it open... Health and Safety originally passed it as safe and it ended up crashing. Who's to say it wouldn't happen again?

Given that the ride crashed due to Human Error, then there is absolutely NOTHING the HSE can do to remove that in it's entirity...

Should you not be able to override any computer system then?

Oh, the electronically controlled train thinks the junction is open when actually there's another train there, but oh no the driver can't override it so everyone dies...

A more grounded similarity would be when your printer jams, oh you've removed the jam, but it still says there's one... Best get a new printer then cos the machine is right...

• Marc unpinned this topic