Planet Coaster - new theme park sim from Frontier makers of Elite: Dangerous

stretchy

I have gone and bought the early bird edition so I can have access to the Alpha where I will be doing videos on it. While it was very expensive all I can currently think about is this game so I feel I will get my use out of it. The fact that on release this will have up to 20,000 people in a park is incredible. The alpha has about 40 rides and coasters at the moment in time with more to come. Also the developers talking about having dark rides there is very little this game doesn't have. 

The are likely to be very similar to Elite: Dangerous requirements. Its running on the same engine. They are going to use the alpha to find out what the minimum requirements are for the game so at the time being they don't have that kind of data. Apparently it scales well but at the moment we haven't seen any game footage so how it runs could be anyone's guess. So far its all been pre-rendered. 

One thing I'm hoping for with this is that there are versions of the rides (such as the Star Flyer) that don't have the really bad cartoony stuff around it...

Looks amazing otherwise... What's the early bird edition looking like? If it's anything like the first editions of Theme Park Studio then I'll wait...

• 2 weeks later...

Quite a nice little article about it.

http://arstechnica.co.uk/gaming/2016/03/planet-coaster-theme-park-sim-alpha-preview/

For you alpha users:

To access coaster building, open a map and select the "Rides," "Scenery," or "Buildings" tab, then select the "Search" option (a magnifying glass) and enter the code "underconstruction" (all one word) to enable the coaster construction tab.

Don't hate me for cross forum ads, but a Shyguysworld all the old RCT3ers have suddenly popped up and the quality of the work is amazing. Even nerd cubed was making the game look beautiful, even whilst just larking about in it.

Talking to Silv, and codemaster, and other RCT3 forum goers, we've come to the conclusion that this game is just what the community needed. It's so close to RCT3, it's just bought the game to the next level, and a level above that. The graphics are stunning, the games engine is very good, and so far, considering it's still only an alpha (!) it smashes pretty much every theme park sim out of the water. The screens are stunning. The tools are incredibly user friendly. It's the game we've been waiting for.

I really wanted to cry when I first opened this thing up. It's just so fun, and so easy to use. Frontier have made what we've wanted for so long, and it's just perfect.

Atari isn't really Atari anymore. They are a different company under the same name. Frontier wanted to do it there way. They didn't want to answer to a large publisher focusing on fast turn arounds to maximise profit.

RCTW has had 3 developers so far and is shambles just like Atari.

RTC4 we do not speak about. It's best left forgotten in the world of mobile games.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...