LEGOLAND Billund

yeah

In my opinion this looks like the best LEGOLAND, and definitely the one I want to visit the most. I love the look of Polar X-Plorer, the Ice Pilots look quite good, Ghost look not bad, Viking River Splash looks almost too good, The Dragon looks good, the Pirate Splash Battle looks good, and so does Pirate Boats. On my list of foreign parks I HAVE to visit!

I'm looking forward to riding Ghost today, hopefully it lives up to expectations...

Shame that most Legolands are pretty much the same bar a few differences... Polar Xplorer is the opposite of Thirteen, Ice Pilots are fab but other Lego parks have them, VRS just has the huge drop (same as Cali iirc), Dragon is ok, Splash Battle is meh and at loads of other parks and the Boat ride is decent...

Does have the biggest shop in the world though apparently...

Where/are you at Billund then? Also, all the LEGOLAND parks are pretty similar, but at least it's not as bad as Disney where is the exact same bloody park, just with small adjustments like a ride layout, or a lack of certain rides etc. By the opposite of Thirteen I would imagine you mean a good ride with a not-so-good freefall drop. Also, I know other parks have the Ice Pilots, but they don't look as good as the one in Billund, as in the theming and things. And am I correct in saying that Billund is the only one you can choose your setting? I know Windsor had a temporary one that was the same, but that doesn't exist anymore so it doesn't count. I know VRS just has the big drop, I've never been on a rapids like that one so that's why I want to ride it so much. Dragon looks a lot quicker than the one in Windsor, but a lot less steep, I'll probably reaallly enjoy the splash battle, Battle Galleons was my first and I absolutely adored it, so much so that call me crazy but I actually went on it twice in a row as there was no queue. Also I don't know of any other LEGOLAND parks that have splash battles, and the Pirate Boats looks generic but so well done. Also, what is the LEGO Canoe like? Because I'm not a big fan of drops on log flumes due to the lack of lap bars/restraints. And also, I thought Windsor had the biggest shop?

Where/are you at Billund then? Also, all the LEGOLAND parks are pretty similar, but at least it's not as bad as Disney where is the exact same bloody park.

I would actually say the complete opposite.

Disney parks might be comparatively similar in many shapes and forms but they're all completely different as they all have different rides and attractions, for example Cali & Paris Disney both have Star Tours rides whilst Disney World doesn't (though in Hollywood studios); Paris & Cali also have canal boats & casey junior rides but WDW does not, whilst WDW & DL have jungle cruise & Splash Mountain whilst Paris has neither. The list goes on.

Even staple things at the park's like their castle centrepieces, staple rides like Small World, Pirates, Space Mountain & BTM plus even the areas and (to a lesser extent) layouts which are completely different too (see discovery land compared to the American equivalents).

Back to Legoland though, locations may vary but on the ride front they're all very similar/identical in all parks as every park pretty much has driving/boating schools, Technic coasters (Windsor used to have one), squid surfer rides, dragon coasters etc. however Billund comes across as the most unique (and probably best) but the parks don't seem to have the uniqueness of Disney parks.

Hmm... I guess some people may have different views, and I respect that. In all honesty, I've not visited every Disney park. In fact, I've never been near Anaheim in my life, but it's the POVs and things that look very similar. And I can't remember where Star Tours was, my last visit to any Disney park was 2011, before that it was Paris in 2009, which, by the way, is the main park I'd compare Florida to, they're very similar apart from rides like Pirates of the Caribbean. Before my Paris visit it was Florida in 2007. I'd still say that LEGOLAND is a lot less similar between parks. Yes, rides like LEGO Technic Project X and the Dragon are in many parks, but it's all the other rides. For example, don't quote me on this, but Windsor is one of only two or three, if not one, parks to have a full-on Pirate Ship. Billund, for example, has a Rock'n'Tug instead. And every park has a log flume of some sort, but the theme varies heavily. In fact, LEGOLAND California has a Mega-Splash over there! Also, don't forget, rides like Splash Battles are only featured in two parks. And Billund is the only park to have a Western themed area. Maybe my Disney comment was slightly ott, especially as I haven't been to every park, but for me LEGOLAND beats Disney in terms of uniqueness :)

How was ghost then Benin?

I must also remind you that lego's target audience is for teeny weeny people who are probably going to have their first adrenaline experience at a park. Rides you may call meh may well be the ideal ride to have for families as they can cater for a large age well, even if that means that older riders find them to be 'meh'

Pity Windsor Cancel (council) are playing hard to get (and being blind as bats) and not seeing how successful the park is and how badly they need that ride which would probably be the most exciting thing the park would've built since Laser Raiders.

If Copenhagen happens next year I will try to plan a day for Billund (depending how easy it is to get to from Copenhagen by train).

Completely agree, Benin. However many people come to the park isn't gonna change depending on what area it's in, say 10,000 people came to go on it when it in LEGO City, those same 10,000 people would go on it in Adventure Land too, so what's the point?

The only way we'll get Ghost is if Merlin and the council come up with some sort of elaborate plan.

• 1 month later...

http://www.legoland.dk/en/Explore/LEGO-NINJAGO---The-Ride/

New area announced, including a dark ride... Described as:

In LEGO® NINJAGO™ - The Ride you will meet the famous heroes from the LEGO NINJAGO™ universe. Together you must learn to master the elements fire, earth, lightning and ice in order to fight the Great Devourer.

Your ninja moves fly through the air, while you are travelling through an awesome Ninjago 4D universe challenging all senses. A brand new technology transforms your movements into ninja forces on screen. So prepare to be deeply immersed in the LEGO NINJAGO™ universe.

LEGO NINJAGO™ - The Ride is for the whole family. Children under 110 cm must be accompanied by an adult.

Sounds like a 4D simulator of some kind...

Picture of the area:

LEGO_NINJAGO_map_UK.png

Looks an interesting area especially on the dark ride point, hopefully this could turn out to be a well themed area for Legoland Billund. 

Wonder where this area will be going [since Ghost replaced that gold mine thing and kids coaster]. I like how Lego are gradually adding more dark rides to their parks now [shame Windsor is a good few step behind the other parks though due to it's planning issues].

• 6 months later...

So recently the Ninjago area of Billund opened, showing us for the first time what the ride looks like.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MqEsFYfirU0&feature=youtu.be

Certainly looks an interesting ride, somewhat a cross between Midway Mania & Ratatouille in a way though it's difficult to judge how good the ride is in person from the video.

Identical versions are also opening in Germany & California this year and Windsor next year (if planning goes well).

Hopefully the throughput won't be too bad as that's one of my concerns here, especially since Lasers gets around 500 pph.