Top 10's

Mark9

I'm not gonna give reason's why cos I'm busy but here is my top ten currently (The smiler will change things for sure):

1.Oblivion

2.Kraken

3.Speed: No Limits

4.Stealth

5.Megafobia

6.The Swarm

7.Rock 'n' Rollercoaster

8.Nemesis Inferno

9.Colossus

10.Expedition Everest

I haven't been on nemesis yet so isn't on there yet.

• 1 month later...

My top 10 in the UK would have to be:

1: Nemesis Inferno, not the most thrilling but I love it because it's one of the few rides that don't have a gimmick to go along with it and are just fun.

2: The Swarm, although slightly short I love the theming around it . IMO even better backwards!

3: Oblivion, a very short ride but it still gets my heart pumping especially on the holding brake when it goes slow then stops and you left looking into the hole.

4: Thirteen, first time going on it I wasn't sure what to expect but that drop has got me hooked on it.

5: Saw - The Ride, it's not the smoothest coaster in the world and you get some headbanging but, like Oblivion, it get my heart going because of the drop.

6: Air, not thrilling but just fun and I like where you are in the flying position.

7: Dragons Fury, just because it a fun spinny rollercoaster.

8: Runaway Mine Train @ Alton Towers, I enjoy the layout on this because it's not compact like a lot of them and it's a break from all the big rides.

9: X:/ No Way Out, the brakes always catch me out on this. I prefer nwo but still think X is good.

10: Flying Fish, I prefer the old version with all the foliage but as my first rollercoaster when I was around 3/4 so always make sure I go on it.

7 Least favourite rollercoasters in the UK:

1: Stealth, I don't like the launch on it.

2: Rita, again, I don't like the launch.

3: Colossus, the layout's good but IMO it's not worth the headache.

4: Nemesis, I'm not too keen on the layout and it has started to become a headbanger. However I do think it is themed fantastically.

5: Vampire, I never went on it as a child so I don't have any 'feelings' for it and when I did go on it for the first time a few years ago I found it to be rough.

6: Sonic Spinball, not as good as Dragon's Fury.

7: Rattlesnake, I hate the way were you get jolted around on the corners.

I know some of you will think I'm crazy for rating Flying Fish above the 7 on top of this but honestly, for example if someone asked 'do you want to go on Nemesis or Flying Fish?' I would choose the Flying Fish.

1: Nemesis Inferno, not the most thrilling but I love it because it's one of the few rides that don't have a gimmick to go along with it and are just fun.

The worlds first interlocking corkscrews will be disappointed by this lack of recognition!

An interesting list there, I can't quite get my head around some of the choices, but interesting.

The worlds first interlocking corkscrews will be disappointed by this lack of recognition!

An interesting list there, I can't quite get my head around some of the choices, but interesting.

I know about the corkscrews (also the longest pre lift of any B&M) but I mean anything of interest to the public. I doubt most know what that actually is!! What I meant by gimmick is something like the world steepest or fastest rollercoaster. Something that's worth advertising to get the public interested.

Been a while since I've done this due my natural indecisiveness, but I do love a top 10. Based on visiting the Merlin jaunt, Europa Park, Phantasialand and Port Aventura. (albeit the last two were a fair while ago now)

1. Blue Fire

2. Nemesis

3. Black Mamba

4. Wodan

5. Oblivion

6. The Smiler

7. The Swarm

8. Nemesis Inferno

9. Dragon Kahn

10. Euro Sat

The nearly made it's: Silver Star, Euro Mir, Air, Dragon's Fury

Outside of the UK I've been to Six Flags Georgia a few years ago and most of the Orlando parks. So I am a bit more limited compared with some of you!
1 - Sheikra. Perfect dive coaster tbh.
2 - Montu is probably the best invert I've been on. I don't know why, but I just like it.
3 - Hulk...... dat launch.
4 - The Swarm... Yep, better than Nemesis. *hides* This will probably slip further down the list as the years go on though tbh. But the ride I had on this at Fright Nights last year was spectacular - in the dark, fire went off! was walk-on... Perfection.
5 - Dueling Dragons before they were RUINED by Harry Potter... These coasters were legendary when they duelled and were under their own theme. sitting on the front row flying towards another train and missing it by just a few inches was amazing.
6 - Nemesis because it is Nemesis... I honestly think this is a bit over-rated... *hides*
7 - Goliath at Six Flags over Georgia is a really great ride. No theming (it's a SF park after all) but it's still a good'n. Went when it was new (2006/7ish?). Superman Ultimate Flight was closed that day so that explains why that isn't up here as well...
8 - Stealth because the launch is king.
9 - Air (possibly?) Although I've gone off it a bit now tbh... It's the only flying coaster I've been on though! Need to go and ride Manta one day.
10 - Kraken at SeaWorld.
Sneaky number 11 - Revenge of the Mummy (I couldn't leave it off the list!)

I have yet to ride the Smiler and Manta, I'm hoping these 2 will join this list soon!

For Me Now..

1. The Smiler

2. Oblivion

3. Speed: No Limits

4. Air ( Or as Mer calls it, The Floaty Matress :P)

5. Nemesis (people are gunna hunt me down with pitch forks but I felt the ride was too over hyped by people and so I was a tad dissapointed so for now it stays here)

6. Kraken

7. Megafobia

8. The Swarm

9. Nemesis Inferno (Nemesis is better. Simples.)

10. Saw ( I had the worst ride ever on Colossus this year so Saw has been bumped up)

This is definitely subject to change in case I've forgotten something.

1. Nemesis

2. Revenge of the Mummy

3. The Incredible Hulk

4. Space Mountain (Paris)

5 Dueling Dragons (Red)

6. Blue Fire

7. Kraken

8. Matterhorn Bob Sleds

9. The Swarm

10. Ghostrider

2013 EDITION

We see Ghostrider pushed out of the top 10, which means at least ONE new entry. What could possibly be at #10?

Matterhorn Bob Sleds - tumbling down the ranks by 2 positions, which does tell us there are 2 NEW ENTRIES, and after a recent trip

;) could any rides from that particular trip make an entry? We shall see

Coming in at #9 is...

Kraken at SeaWorld Orlando

#8 is in fact...

THE SMILER - and marks our first new entry, now you may have been expecting this to be higher, and I can in fact tell you it is far better then SAW the Ride by a long shot. I will post a full review of the ride in my Alton Towers trip report. The ride is a really great length and a solid attraction.

The heat is really building up, could we see a new entry for this next position? Or will another coaster bite the dust and tumble down the ranks? At #7 we have

Blue Fire - however this could change again after experiencing it again in July

:P

At #6 we have

TH13TEEN - what?! Do your eyes deceive you? No, in fact, TH13TEEN comes in at a very respectable place of number six. Again I will post a full review in my trip report. Just to say I had never ridden TH13TEEN until yesterday and I can tell you now, I fell in love with it.

And now for the top 5!

5. Dueling Dragons (Red)

4. Space Mountain (Paris)

3. The Incredible Hulk

Which leaves two more... Could there be a new entry, could the legendary Nemesis be dethroned? Maybe I've remembered a Lost Coaster and just remembered how amazing it was...

2. Revenge of the Mummy

1. Nemesis - Still clings onto it's title after yesterdays ride, it was phenomenal, intense and still remains my all time favourite coaster... for now.

:D

World Top 10:

1. The Incredible Hulk

2. Nemesis

3. Wodan

4. Euro-Mir

5. Oblivion

6. Silver Star

7. Blue Fire

8. Manta

9. Kraken

10. Stealth

That was REALLY difficult, and I could probably change a few of them around, Swarm/Nemesis Inferno should be on there, but I think them and Stealth lose out as I've ridden them two LOTS and most of the others only 1 or 2 times, ah well!

Special mentions to Revenge of the Mummy, Montu, Dueling Dragons, Sheikra.

European top 10:

1. Nemesis

2. Wodan

3. Euro-Mir

4. Oblivion

5. Silver Star

6. Blue Fire

7. Stealth

8. Swarm

9. Nemesis Inferno

10. Rock N' Rollercoaster (Paris)

UK Top 10:

1. Nemesis

2. Oblivion

3. Stealth

4. Swarm

5. Nemesis Inferno

6. Th13teen

7. Air

8. Saw

9. Dragons Fury

10. Colossus

Outside of the UK top 10:

1. The Incredible Hulk

2. Wodan

3. Euro-Mir

4. Silver Star

5. Blue Fire

6. Manta

7. Kraken

8. Revenge of The Mummy

9. Montu

10. Sheikra

I THINK.. I THINK THIS TIME IT'S GOING TO WORK. Warning, coolant level rising... NO.. NOOOO.

^ That is clearly why.

When it comes to the hulk I'm a big fan of the very different start to any other B&M, and the first inversion. But after that it does seem very samey and I'm not a fan of the floating corkscrew or the horrendous jank straight after it.

Yeah I'm clueless Ryan. :/

I'm not sure if it was the massive excitement on my 16th birthday walking into Islands of Adventure for the first time, with beautiful weather and no queues, but The Hulk really stood out for me as a world class coaster. Not only does it have the best start to any coaster I've ever been on, not only is the view of the first inversion going over the pond absolutely fantastic in the Florida sun, but it's the most fun I've ever had on a rollercoaster.

I think it's mainly the fact that I have the best memories from riding Hulk, to me The Hulk is such a fun ride that I'd happily ride over and over. It may not be the most thrilling but to me that's not what a ride is all about.

I'm not sure if it was the massive excitement on my 16th birthday walking into Islands of Adventure for the first time, with beautiful weather and no queues, but The Hulk really stood out for me as a world class coaster. Not only does it have the best start to any coaster I've ever been on, not only is the view of the first inversion going over the pond absolutely fantastic in the Florida sun, but it's the most fun I've ever had on a rollercoaster.

I think it's mainly the fact that I have the best memories from riding Hulk, to me The Hulk is such a fun ride that I'd happily ride over and over. It may not be the most thrilling but to me that's not what a ride is all about.

Very similar to me as to why the rides so high :)

• 1 month later...

Despite having only done my top 10 3 months ago, I thought it may be time to update it after riding the Smiler, here's the current standing of my top 10,

1/ Nemesis/ Amazing ride

2/ The Smiler/ love the inversions and weightlessness of the ride

3/ The Swarm/ Great drop and theming

4/ Oblivion/ love the drop part

5/ Stealth/ short but sweet

6/ Nemesis Inferno/ runs amazingly

7/ Dragons Fury/ excellent family ride

8/ Colossus, love the loops and seems slightly smoother this year

9/ Saw the ride/ good indoor section

10/ Thirteen/ the secret drop is very good

And there you have it, Smiler has knocked Rage of the top 10 and having ridden some coasters this year, it has changed my opinions slightly about them making them rise or lower on the list.

My top 10 (I haven't ever been abroad or to Towers so they wont be in the list but here it is anyway)

1. Nemesis Inferno - after my first ride on Sunday it took over straight away as my number one with the speed and forces and the pre-lift section is so floaty also my first Inverted coaster

2. Colossus - Great layout and my first major coaster

3. Grand National - Just a hell of a lot of fun

4. Pepsi Max Big One - Tall and fast so yeah

5. Big Dipper - Again a lot of fun and a woodie

6. Megafobia - the latest woodie in the UK and was my first woodie.

7. Rage - My first Eurofighter and is a great little ride hardly ever breaks down

8. Wild Mouse (BPB) - Very fun and old so that adds to the fun

9. Dragons Fury - a fun little family coaster

10. X - its fun and the refurb made it fab

So yeah there you go I do plan to go to Alton an abroad in a few years when I'm older ( seeming I'm only 14) so the list will change

*NEW*

After a few more trips around the planet to fill my adrenaline bar, we now see a MASSIVE change in my previous top 10. Nemesis however, remained on top. After a recent trip (including Alton Towers, Europa Park and others), could Nemesis still be KING? Here's a run down of my old top 10.

1. Nemesis
2. Revenge of the Mummy
3. The Incredible Hulk
4. Space Mountain
5. Dueling Dragons Red
6. TH13TEEN
7. Blue Fire
8. THE SMILER
9. Kraken
10. Matterhorn Bob Sleds

Now for the new rankings:

Coming in at #10 we have... a TIED ENTRY, one new coaster, and one other coaster tumbling down 2 positions

Silverstar & THE SMILER - Both very different coasters, but I could not decide out of the two which would take this position. After riding Silverstar the other day, the airtime and intensity, as well as the views are amazing. As I've said previously, THE SMILER is a brilliant addition and a really great ride, after tallying up a total of 3 rides, it still, however, does not rank up against some of the other coasters, but these ones start off the top 10!

Our number nine is unchanged and is in fact

Kraken

At number eight we have...

Not a new entry, but Dueling Dragons Red tumbling down a whole THREE positions.

Now this will be getting interesting...

Coming in at number seven...

Space Mountain at DLP has tumbled 3 positions

At number six we have

a NON-mover, TH13TEEN. Now this ride has become one of my all time favourites, it would have definitely moved up had I updated this after the last towers meet, but, because of other circumstances, it has stood strong and not moved a muscle.

Number 5 is not a new entry but has in fact...

moved up the rankings by 2! It's now on the upper hand of TH13TEEN. Blue Fire storms up the chart after 2 thrilling rides yesterday. And what a ride it is, from the queue line, to dispatch, to on-ride experience (and the beautiful restraints

:wub:), it combines intensity and also smoothness together to form a brilliant coaster. Kudos Mack, Kudos.

At number 4, we see a decline of two positions with...

Revenge of the Mummy

At number 3 we see no change in positions with

The Incredible Hulk

We are now down to our last two, Nemesis, and another ride in particular. Could it be an old entry? A new entry? Will King Nemesis remain superior? Or could something else take the top spot?

AT NUMBER TWO IS

NEMESIS - unfortunately it has been dethroned, but still remains a part of royalty as the Prince of ThrillseekerAlex's top 10, (s)he could not stay #1 forever. It is still a brilliant ride decades on, but what in the world has taken the top spot? What on earth is better than Nemesis?

AND OUR NUMBER ONE SPOT GOES TOO

Wodan - sorry, is there a misunderstanding? A mistake? No. I knew I wanted to do Wodan at Europa and I'm so glad I did. I expected it to be good, but the 1.2m height limit made me think this is more of a family ride. God, was I wrong. This wooden coaster is an absolute BEAUTY. It rides brilliantly and it roars so loudly, from the theming, to the experience and again, the dispatching, GCI shoves a middle finger up to all those in the top 10 and beyond. The ride interacts beautifully with some of the other rides and again is beautifully smooth but still very intense. I did not expect this to even make the top 5, let alone number one. So congratulations to our winner, Wodan. You deserve it!

That's all folks ;)

Before this year, my top 10s would have been very easy to do, however, since riding 8 new coasters this year (first TP trip in yonks and first AT visit) this is gonna hurt my brain.

1. Nemesis (AT) - just.....wow is all I can say - amazing coaster :wub:

2. The Swarm (TP) - So comfy and I love the first drop

3. The Smiler/Saw (AT/TP) - There are bits of both rides that I love - the indoor section of Saw is superior to The Smiler (imo) but the smiler has brilliants qualities to it - so it's a tie for number 3. Both have potential to give you a massive headache but I can deal with a bit of pain ^_^

4. Oblivion (AT) - another B&M on the list - that drop = amazing

5. Space Mountain (DLP) - My first ever inverted coaster back in 2000 - although it gave me a huge headache after both times riding it, I have wanted to go back and ride it since then ;)

6. Th13teen (AT) - Although I screamed through most of the ride, it is really enjoyable and proof that coasters do not need inversions to make them good

7. Nemesis Infero (TP) - My first B&M and have managed to conquer the dizziness (thanks to the ERT!)

8. Stealth (TP) - Does wonders for my anxiety levels!! :crazy: I swore I would never ride it after my first go but have since caved in and do enjoy it

9. Vampire (CWOA) - First "proper"coaster and still enjoyable, even if a bit rough at times - although I miss the old bat cars

10. X (TP) - Much better now the trains go forwards as it means I can ride it - and it's nice to have a rave whilst whizzing around a pyramid in the dark with strobe lighting.....innit :tease:

Rollercoasters! (having been on ToT, it's now necessary to make that clear)

1) Blue Fire (Europa Park) To get straight to the point, I think it's the perfect thrill ride. It's not the fastest or tallest or most intense, but it offers everyone a bit of everything. How so? Whilst the launch isn't as instantly forceful as Stealth or Baco's (lol), it's one that feels like it keeps going and retains it's fun all the way down the launch track. The big, overbanked turn is great on the left hand side and especially nearer the back, where you really feel like you get dragged through the peak. The loop is, erm... a good loop? (I rarely find vertical loops spectacularly interesting) The following banked turn is lovely and snappy. Somehow even just heading up to the MCBR feels sudden and full of force. Nearer the back there's bundles of airtime exiting the MCBR. The two corkscrew's are great fun and wonderfully smooth. Next, what sounds better than an airtime hill? A twisty airtime hill! The next turn offers a second's breather; is it losing momentum now? Be careful before you relax, as it suddenly throws you into the craziest of heartline rolls. Finally, wonder what the hell just happened, turn, pose for a photo and into the brakes. Exit, gather belongings, re-join queue etc... wow. The music is fabulous, the restraints are the best of any manufacturer and it's smooth as silk all the way round. It's perfect for those wanting to experience their first major thrill ride, as well as seasoned rollercoaster goons (yay!). An unquestionable 10/10 from me.

2) Nemesis (Alton Towers) Is any explanation required? Yet to deliver a ride to me less than amazing every time. I wonder if Mark9 remembers my brake run reaction following my first ride?

3) Wodan (Europa Park) Having only been on one woodie, Stampida (lol) many years before, Wodan blew me away. I can imagine there are better GCI's out there but even so, this ride is fantastic.

4) Shambhala (Port Aventura) Mocked by many 'established' enthusiasts for being, wait for it... received well; I can contribute to their angst further by saying I think Shambhala is outstanding. It's big and beautiful and barrels of fun. But then, I have only been to parks from Europe, so what do I know?

5) Dragon Kahn (Port Aventura) Probably the only ride I’ve been on that rivals Nemesis for pure intensity. The zero-g is a particular highlight, but the speed it retains in the second half of the ride through tight turns and corkscrews is just absurd. To summarise, it’s the only ride I’ve ever been on where I couldn’t manipulate my on ride photo in any way due to its forcefulness. Also, dat roaaarrrr!

6) Oblivion (Alton Towers) A simple yet always fulfilling experience, Oblivion has an almost unmatched sense of drama and intimidation. Oh, and a drop I doubt I’ll ever tire of.

7) Black Mamba (Phantasialand) It’s testament to the ride that after so long, its effects on me are still fairly well remembered. A blistering invert backed up by theming of the most immense scale.

8) Space Mountain: Mission 2 (Disneyland Paris) I’d have been surprised to have this in my top ten a few months ago, but the ‘Vekoma death machine’ definitely didn’t live up to its *painful* hype. No discomfort to be found on any of my rides, all of which I loved. Even when all the outdoor effects aren’t working it’s an incredible looking building, amazing soundtrack, love the indoor effects etc. Vekoma <3

9) The Smiler (Alton Towers) I’ve already written a lengthy blog with my thoughts on this, so there’s no need to go into detail here. Great ride, great music, love the indoor drop, smooth, fun, good length, disorientating, great to watch blah blah. A worthy addition to the Towers lineup.

10) Big Thunder Mountain (Disneyland Paris) It’s difficult to rank rides against eachother which try to offer different kinds of experience. For example I don’t really know if I prefer this to The Smiler or The Swarm since they are so very different but I felt Big Thunder deserved a place in my top ten. It’s not as OMFG thrilling as a Stealth or a Dragon Kahn but it’s one of those ‘complete’ attractions that are impossible not to love. The ride itself is still very fun, but it’s made excellent by the utterly gorgeous setting the ride takes place in. The station, the trains, the noises it makes, the tunnels, the mountains themselves... it all comes together so perfectly to create a fantastic ride.

The nearly made-it's: The Swarm, Nemesis Inferno, Silver Star, Euro Sat