Top 10's

Mark9

Quick update time! 

Mostly due to Taron not living up to how I remember it but also in time I've realised maybe I rated Piraten a little too high. So nothing new, I just think it will be fun tracing back through this thread over time and seeing how things change.

1) Helix

2) T Express

3) Karnan

4) Wildfire

5) Taron

6) Piraten

7) Expedition GeForce

8) Balder

9) Flying Dinosaur

10) Nemesis

1. Blue Fire (Europa Park)

A wonderfully smooth, comfortable and thrilling rollercoaster. It feels like you're gliding on air as you fly through the circuit. Incredibly comfortable restraints / seats and a ridiculous high throughput. My perfect coaster.

2. Nemesis (Alton Towers)

23+ years old but it looks and feels like it was installed yesterday. The front row is possibly the most thrilling experience in the world, hurtling past waterfalls and rock work. Your feet mere centimeters from the floor. The back row is so intense is sometimes causes me to grey out. 

3. Flying Dinosaur (Universal Studios Japan)

A coaster so intense it almost ripped my face off. I've only been on it once but I would travel back to Japan just to ride this again. Outstanding.

4. Silverstar (Europa Park)

Silverstar ahead of Shambhala? It's true. Whilst there is more airtime on Shambhala the lapbars are so uncomfortably tight I end up with bruises on my thighs. Silverstar doesn't have this issue and I can enjoy the airtime far more. A little bit rough on the first drop and the repeated trims stop it from being higher up this list.

5. Shambhala (Portaventura)

A fantastic experience almost ruined by very tight lapbars with a test seat that doesn't match up to reality. This might move up the list if after my weight loss the lapbar doesn't need to be as tight.

6. SWARM (Thorpe Park)

The sense of freedom and exposure is incredible, with nothing above, below or to the side of you it really does feel like you're flying. Probably the smoothest coaster I've ever been on with the best OTSR on any coaster. Towards the end of a hot day this thing feels like it's supercharged. It's too short though! 

7. Eurosat (Europa Park)

This thing is insane. The bonkers spiral lifthill, incredible techno soundtrack and an intense ride experience. As smooth than a chest of draws falling down a staircase but I still love it. 

8. Dragon Khan (Portaventura)

The second most intense ride I've ever been on (Flying Dinosaur comes first) but wow, what a ride. Far too rough, you come off in a fair amount of pain which is why it's not further up this list. If this is as smooth as it once apparently was this would be number 1 or 2.

9. Thirteen (Alton Towers)

I love Thirteen, fight me. Nice floater airtime, comfortable lapbars and a nice 'surprise' at the end. The best family coaster I've ever ridden.

10. Stampida (Portaventura)

A harsh and painful mistress but my favourite wooden coaster by far. A fun ride with a nice gimmick of dueling coasters.

Honorable Mentions:

The Smiler (Alton Towers): Too rough

SAW: The Ride (Thorpe Park): Also too rough and with inconsistent effects/lighting

Galactica (Alton Towers): A fun ride with and without VR but not enough to get into my top 10. 

Revenge of the Mummy Ride (Universal Studios Singapore): Does this count as a rollercoaster? I'm counting it as a dark ride. My 2nd favourite dark ride after Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

I'm probably going to be a bit controversial, and just warning you, my coaster count is 31 (I need to visit more parks and get oblivion, smiler and smiler credits)...

1. Saw : The Ride - A fun forceful coaster that isn't really that rough. If anything, it fits the theme :)

2. Shambahla - Good ride in the back/front but you need to sit at the back with a loose restraint to have an enjoyable otherwise it feels a bit meh and disappointing.

3. Furius Baco - Far smoother ride than everyone makes it out to be queue and the theming is nice, making it rather under rated.

4. Nemesis Inferno - It's alright but nothing spectacular.

5. THE SWARM - Forceful drop and then a forceless short ride. Nothing else to say.

6. Th13teen - An enjoyable well themed coaster with a very good suprise.

7. Red Force - Just as forceless as stealth but I guess it's taller.

8. Stealth - Very over rated and it too short and forceless.

9. Rita - Another OK coaster.

10. Stampida (blue) - Mostly a fun ride but a bit too rough.

Un-honourable Mentions

Dragon Khan and Stampida (red) are far, far too rough.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Right, time for a much needed update to my top 10 lists.

Theme Parks:

1/ Europa Park

2/ Phantasialand 

3/ Efteling 

4/ Disneyland Paris 

5/ Liseberg 

6/ Port Aventura 

7/ Alton Towers

8/ Blackpool 

9/ Paultons Park

10/ Thorpe Park

Coasters:

1/ Helix

2/ Taron

3/ Shambhala 

4/ Wodan

5/ Nemesis 

6/ Blue Fire

7/ Black Mamba

8/ Baron 1898

9/ Balder

10/ Furious Baco

Honourable Mentions:

Red Force, Joris, Thirteen and Nemesis Inferno. That ride has improved so much recently, it is unbelievable.

Dark Rides:

1/ Tower Of Terror (Paris)

2/ Pirates Of The Caribbean (Paris)

3/.Symbolica

4/ Ratatouille 

5/ Valhalla 

6/ Hex

7/ Fata Morgana 

8/ Droomvlucht

9/ Maus Au Chocolate 

10/ Gruffalo River Ride Adventure 

Honourable Mentions:

Duel, Villa Volta, Derren Brown's Ghost Train and Wallace & Gromit

Water Rides:

1/ Chiapas

2/ Valhalla 

3/ River Quest

4/ Flying Dutchman
5/ Grand Canyon Rapids (PA)
6/Fjord Rafting
7/ Pirana Rapids
8/ Tidal Wave
9/ Drenched
10/ Tutiki Splash 

Helix over Taron - Correct

Europa over Phantasia - Correct

Rat over Valhalla - Not so much

I have yet to put myself through Port Av yet, but it's interesting Shamb sits in 3rd place for you, that's exactly how I imagine it's going to play out. As much as I love to moan about Taron I can't see a B&M hyper topping it.

6 hours ago, Mark9 said:

I feel bad for Dragon Khan now. A proper old school B&M with real intensity and force being over shadowed by Baco, Balder, Baron and Black Mamba. Maybe you just like rides beginning with B?

I'm not sure why, I just found Khan to be overly rough and uncomfortable on this trip for some reason. 

Despite it's roughness there was just something I liked about Baco which is bizarre because I expected to not enjoy it. The number of rides starting with B is surely councidental and I've just noticed that myself. 

Shambhala is honestly great, but something just makes Helix and Taron overpower it very slightly, although it is my favourite B&M. The difference between where my top 3 coasters rank is literally just millimetres. 

1 hour ago, Benin said:

I'm interested to see how Khan runs again, since last time it was absolutely fantastic, yet people who have visited since have been rather negative over it...

Be a downright shame if age has caught up to it...

Probably more a case of how PortAventura looks after it rather then Khan ageing. This is a park with Baco and Stampida after all.

On 15/09/2017 at 0:12 PM, Benin said:

I'm interested to see how Khan runs again, since last time it was absolutely fantastic, yet people who have visited since have been rather negative over it...

Be a downright shame if age has caught up to it...

I rode Khan in June and was amazing not at all rough really .... so unless wheel setup or climate affects the running of the ride it seems to have changed allot in a short time

• 1 month later...

In order to participate in a new Mitch Hawker style wooden roller coaster poll that's lurking online, I've ranked all my woodies in order.

http://www.ellocoaster.com/wood-coaster-poll/

The poll if you're interested/bored enough.

1) T Express - Everland

2) Wildfire - Kolmarden

3) Balder - Liseberg

4) Wodan - Europa Park

5) Joris en de Draak (Water) - Efteling

-) Joris en de Draak (Vuur) - Efteling

7) Troy - Toverland

8) Twister - Grona Lund

9) Rutschebanen - Tivoli Gardens

10) Wild Mouse - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

11) Big Dipper - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

12) Megafobia - Oakwood

13) Falken - Farup Sommerland

14) Heidi The Ride - Plopsaland De Panne

15) Tonnerre De Zeus - Parc Asterix

16) Nickelodeon Streak - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

17) Loup-Garou - Walibi Belgium

18) Robin Hood - Walibi Holland

19) Mammut - Tripsdrill

20) Elf - Hirakata Park

21) Grand National - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

22) Bandit - Movie Park Germany

23) Rustchebanen - Bakken

24) Blue Flyer - Blackpool Pleasure Beach

25) Roller Coaster - Great Yarmouth

26) Scenic Railway - Dreamland 

• 1 month later...

That reminds me, I never posted my updated Top 10...

1) Taron, Phantasialand

2) Helix, Liseberg

3) The Swarm, Thorpe

4) Nemesis, Alton

5) Balder, Liseberg

6) Joris en de Draak, Efteling

7) Troy, Toverland

8) Black Mamba, Phantasialand

9) Baron 1898, Efteling

10) One of Nemesis Inferno, Thorpe, Goliath or Lost Gravity, Walibi Holland

Anubis at Plopsaland has dropped off the list.  The main reason being it's only really enjoyable in the front row; other two are rough.

Baron really dropped down the list this year, after aging in a way that made me like it less.

10th place changes a lot.  Really depends on my mood as to which I'd rather ride the most.  Goliath and Inferno were my 9 & 10 last year, so that says something.

And a top 5 new for me...

1) Helix, Liseberg

2) Balder, Liseberg

3) Van Helsing's Factory, Movie Park Germany

4) Lisebergbanan, Liseberg

5) Heidi - The Ride, Plopsaland

Liseberg have some good creds ey?

Top 5 new creds this year seems like a good shout, I'm game!

I'm planning to be riding Revenge Of The Mummy at Universal Studios Singapore on New Years Eve, so that may or may not change proceedings.

1) Karnan - Hansa Park

2) T-Express - Everland

3) Piraten - Djurs Sommerland

4) Flying Dinosaur - Universal Studios Japan

5) Hollywood Dream: The Ride - Universal Studios Japan

6 hours ago, BaronC. said:

Liseberg have some good creds ey?

Indeed they do!

After a return visit to Phantasialand in August for the celebration day and riding Taron in the dark, Shambhala has finally been knocked off the top spot. Taron in the dark at 10pm at night is something absolutely exceptional, it is completely out of this world; it is so incredibly fast, there is so much airtime and the lighting around Klugheim and the rock work makes for an even more exciting experience. It is bloody incredible!

After visiting Efteling in August also, two new creds have made their way into my top 10, with one of them taking 3rd place!

Here is my updated top 10 list:

1. Taron

2. Shambhala

3. Joris En De Draak(absolutely mental cred, it is brilliant and even more crazy than Wodan at Europa!)

4. Wodan

5. Blue Fire

6. Baron 1898

7. Silver Star

8. Arthur

9. Black Mamba

10. The Swarm

I will do a top 10 parks after re-visiting Europa Park for the winter season next week.

• 2 weeks later...

The official 2017 top ten rollercoasters of Mark9!!!11!1

1. Nemesis

2. Blue Fire

3. Katun

4. Alpina Blitz

5. Wodan

6. Oz'Iris

7. Tatsu

8. Manta

9. Superman de Acero

10. Helix

I've had a bit of rejiggle of my top ten. For a while Superman de Acero was at number 2/3 but after ten years since I first rode it, I think nostalgia and rose tinted specs are definitly playing their part. Nemesis and Blue have taken the top two, both solid rides and years after my first ride still impress and excite me. Wodan also rise through the ranks as I think it really delivers. Shambhala is the only ride to fall out of my top ten. Having ridden on several air time machines this year, I don't think Shambhala is really that good to be honest.

Right that settles it, I'm riding Katun and Alpina Blitz no matter what in 2018!

5 hours ago, Mark9 said:

For a while Superman de Acero was at number 2/3 but after ten years since I first rode it, I think nostalgia and rose tinted specs are definitly playing their part.

From my early stalker days (or the better days as some of you will call it), your top 10 lists got me so hyped for Superman DeSpanish and after riding it this March, I really wasn't that blown away by it. After about 6 laps spread throughout the day, it started to leave me a bit dry. I feel you've made the right choice adjusting it slightly.

I had fond memories of it I guess, we rode it 14 times through the day and I was really impressed by it. It was my first real aggressive, big B&M and after all the talk I'd heard about floorless rides being over-rated, I found it far better then its reputation implied. Ten years later, I'm not sure if it is really that good but thats purely because it's been a while and I really don't want to go to Madrid again to ride it.

I fear Katun may be the same although I do plan to go to Miribilandia again in 2018 so I guess I'l find out if it really is as good as I remembered. :yahoo:

• 1 month later...
On 31/01/2017 at 1:12 AM, J.S217 said:

The one you have all be waiting for TOP 10 COASTERS

10.Troy (Superb coaster but it is missing some themeing) 

9.Black Mamba (If Inferno and Nemesis had a love child) 

8.Anubis (out standing launch in my opinion and a very compact layout loved the TV show )

7. Th13teen (Fantastic Family coaster and I just love the supernatural theme)

6. Nemesis Inferno (Its me Inferno is always on my list)

5. Taron  ( The Themeing the area the intensity all works and is a marvel to gander at)

4. Dwervelwind ( I don't know what it is but I adore this coaster its cute layout  the music the magical feeling)

3. Blue Fire (Great coaster has some very smooth transitions and is a great experience)

2. Arthur (It's like a theatrical production in motion the scenes are great fun quirky)

1. Wodan ( I still have not ridden a coaster that has beaten the pure intensity of the transitions and speed it picks up so yes its my number 1)

Its coming to the end of the first Month of 2018, a few changes have happened. 

10.Troy

9.Black Mamba 

8.Th13teen

7.Heidi The Ride 

6.Balder

5.Nemesis

4.Taron

3.Joris En De Draak Fire 

2.Arthur 

1.Wodan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The top 25 rollercoasters in the world (according to Theme Park Review)

1. El Toro - Six Flags Great Adventure
2. Lightning Rod - Dollywood
3. Wildfire - Kolmården
4. Medusa Steel Coaster - Six Flags Mexico
5. Outlaw Run - Silver Dollar City
6. Maverick - Cedar Point
7. Expedition GeForce - Holiday Park
8. Intimidator 305 - Kings Dominion
9. Phoenix - Knoebels Amusement Park and Resort
10. Skyrush - Hersheypark
11. Millennium Force - Cedar Point
12. Helix - Liseberg