Football

yeah

I think we have a couple more rounds left in us but I fear we lack the raw talent that teams like France and Spain have shown. We have no one like Payet, Bale or Ronaldo and this could make the difference come the quarters! Its been a pretty good tournament though; a lot of close games and good goals!!! Great to see teams like Iceland and Albania playing so well too :D

Actually fuming following England's embarrassing defeat to Iceland. I mean good for Iceland and all - a team of 11 underdogs overcoming a team of 11 professionals...but still, it's impossible to not say this was our most humiliating performance! Seriously. What was Hodgson thinking, bringing Vardy on in the 60th minute...and Rashford with 4 minutes remaining???

How about Roy Hodgson for Prime Minister and David Cameron for England manager? 

In all seriousness yesterday's performance was dire. Embarrassing.

we looked so slow, tired, sluggish, sloppy, lazy with no sense of urgency. 

The performance genuinely reminded me of watching Barnet at the Hive. Humiliating.

Well done Iceland though!

I think last night summarised everything that is wrong with English national football at the moment. We have an excellent group of individuals but they can't play together and struggle to as they are used to competing against each other on a weekly basis. We need a manager that can inspire and unify them and Roy clearly wasn't the man to do so. I honestly think we need someone like Shearer to take over who may not have the managerial experience but who will be a legend to inspire his squad.

Shearer as manager? We want things to be more than PASHUN!!! We need tactical acumen to take on the international teams with a bit more panache and skill... Laboured and dull is a byword for England these days...

Needs a complete overhaul of the English system though to fix this...

On 29 June 2016 at 11:08 AM, pluk said:

On the plus side my work can get back to normal instead of having a town full of drunks on random weeknights.

AMEN!

I used to get frustrated at England losing games they should've won. now, I just laugh. They are an embarrassment to themselves, was anyone really surprised they went out, I mean REALLY?

The French have just knocked in their 4th against Iceland.....it's not even half time yet.

Mark Cavendish was in the yellow jersey today too, following yesterday's terrific victory in the Tour de France. Yet that made no headlines.

England may be awful at football but at least we're not half bad on bikes!

Back to football, Norwich's 2016/17 home kit came out on Friday. Very nice indeed. Retro but modern at the same time. Let's just hope that our season will be as good as our kit. We've yet to sign any players, unlike Newcastle who've a managed to get Richie and Gayle. 

But, I'm hopeful and I think we'll have a succesful campaign.

1 hour ago, Mark9 said:

Well we've sucked at football for 20 years. Is that any surprise. We're awesome at so many other sports and yet its football that gets all the stories. Hamilton won an awesome Austrian GP today, bet that makes no headlines at all.

You just have to look at how little Marcus Willis' incredible Wimbledon run was covered to realise that people only focus on football in this country.  It's a true shame that one of the sports we're worst at gets so much attention and money.

It's just an extra kick in the teeth that we invented the sport...

Greg Dyke is a bit useless though. Quote from Wikipedia with a graph:

Under Dyke's chairmanship Brentford F.C. experienced their worst performance since the 1970s, but the club has improved recently.

As soon as Dyke left we got promoted!

Guess we got what we deserve for appointing a former Fulham manager. Ah well, to next season. And qualifying for the World Cup in... Russia. Oh Lord. Let's not bother.

330px-Brentford_FC_League_Performance.svg.png

Still think had we of brought Scott Hogan along we would've won the Euros. 

• 1 month later...

So I just played against the under 13s team of Guangzhou, one of the biggest academies in the world, a Chelsea partner club, Jackson Martinez' and Filipe Scolari's current team, and the Chinese champions for the last five years in a row lmao. Fair to say they smashed us, but they play football literally six days of the week, their school is a football school and five of those six days is training vs our one hour lol.

• 2 months later...

Nearly 3,000 Brentford fans (including me) made the 10 hr trip (5 for me thanks to fast trains) down to Newcastle including those awful stairs at the ground and the players put in no effort, and slumped to a 3-1 defeat in front of a capacity crowd. I wasn't expecting much but what we got was an insult, two goals down with 20 minutes to go so Dean Smith brings on one centre back for our other centre back at left back and then a defensive midfielder. We then proceeded to pass backwards and sideways for the rest of the game. Ah well, we're not far of the playoffs, have the best striker in the league (Tammy Abraham who? ;)) in Scott Hogan, apart from yesterday have the best defence in the league and are still undefeated at home, not to mention playing clubs like Aston Villa and Newcastle. Makes a nice change from losing in the League 1 playoffs and playing Rochdale every year lol.

14 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

Nearly 3,000 Brentford fans (including me) made the 10 hr trip (5 for me thanks to fast trains) down to Newcastle including those awful stairs at the ground and the players put in no effort, and slumped to a 3-1 defeat in front of a capacity crowd. I wasn't expecting much but what we got was an insult, two goals down with 20 minutes to go so Dean Smith brings on one centre back for our other centre back at left back and then a defensive midfielder. We then proceeded to pass backwards and sideways for the rest of the game. Ah well, we're not far of the playoffs, have the best striker in the league (Tammy Abraham who? ;)) in Scott Hogan, apart from yesterday have the best defence in the league and are still undefeated at home, not to mention playing clubs like Aston Villa and Newcastle. Makes a nice change from losing in the League 1 playoffs and playing Rochdale every year lol.

Off to Derby tomorrow, hopefully will be a bit better!

• 2 weeks later...