The Chessington Adventure Tree

Discuss.

(rumoured sfx coaster, development on zufari side, gutting of tomb blaster for new dark ride/coaster, rapids, rethemes etc.)

PS just because this topic is already stretching into a lot of other threads.

Mod note:  Discussion specifically related to the Adventure Tree starts on Page 5.  All other discussion is about the other big new thing for 2017, which ended up being Gruffalo.

None of those things will happen. This is Chessington remember!

Tomb was already up for retheme, and when it reopens (in its current theme) will be around a few more seasons yet.

SFX coaster? Yeh right.

Not sure what they have available, if anything around the Zufari site.

The best chessington could do, if they really want to get people to stay, is add an indoor water park. There's nothing around locally.

Unfortunately after their last big investment of Zufari, and seeing how that (a pre-existing, operational, successful attraction in other parks) was rushed and screwed up, I have no faith in what they do.

I'll be over the moon to be proved wrong, but history shows us exactly what to expect of Chessington.

Unfortunately after their last big investment of Zufari, and seeing how that (a pre-existing, operational, successful attraction in other parks) was rushed and screwed up, I have no faith in what they do.

This basically sums up my fears for any major investment at Chessington.

The idea of an SFX Coaster at the park just sounds crazy, and not in a good way.  Could Chessington really pull something like that off and have it be a success?  I really, really don't think so.  

Given that Zufari apparently had a budget cut in the region of 40%, and they haven't seen any investment in the park that's cost more than £10 million in goodness knows how long, I just can't hold much hope for any major investment in the park until it opens.

Paultons (though I haven't visited yet (MC16)) looks it's already a better park than Chessie. They have great rides, great theming, decent upkeep making an overall well loved park that is slowly turning from a regional park to leasing one in the uk.

Despite its falling quality, operations, theming, upkeep etc, it seems Merlin have a strategy to keep it higher than the likes of Paultons. Unfortunately it's the wrong one as its only aimed at getting more guests.

Rather than do rightful things like ripping out Toadies for a thrilling major family coaster, replacing Tombs with a better 21st century dark ride amongst other things all the park seem to be doing as adding more non-themepark stuff like more accommodation rather then invest and improve the park it'self which is getting closer and closer to breaking point, the day when vampire fails forever, Tomb shortcircuits and something happens in rattlesnake and falls leaving just scorpion, fury, bubbles & Zufari.

Rumour has it yet another hotel could be coming to Chessington in the possible future, or lodges like EV or both.

Well, Merlin certainly have plans to add more accommodation. Glamping isn't their final solution, and they've just bought a stupidly large amount of land behind the Explorer Car Park, so lodges at least are a given. Perhaps they'll want another hotel as well? I don't know. I believe they want at least 150 more rooms to be built, maybe more, so its all possible.

I think Chessington needs something to cater for both markets- family and thrill. I do have a dream that there could be a drop tower where Haunting in the Hollows was. It could have several pre-shows to add to the immersion. 60ft sounds right, not over the height limits and as tall as they can get really.

Rather than do rightful things like ripping out Toadies for a thrilling major family coaster, replacing Tombs with a better 21st century dark ride amongst other things all the park seem to be doing as adding more non-themepark stuff like more accommodation rather then invest and improve the park it'self which is getting closer and closer to breaking point, the day when vampire fails forever, Tomb shortcircuits and something happens in rattlesnake and falls leaving just scorpion, fury, bubbles & Zufari.

This. You only have to look at the recent backlash from having lots of rides unavailable at once online. Bearing in mind that CWoA can't even get the car park situation right for guests, I can't see the park as a whole improving anytime soon.

Chessington do use their excuse that can't go above 70ft or something (I'm not quite sure) but look at Alton Towers, they have a restriction that they can't go above the treeline which isn't very high but yet they pull off and create anything they want.

In a park like that the last thing you'd expect is a dive coaster (maybe a hypercoaster but that's not the point) but look, they've got a dive coaster and it has a drop longer than Baron 1898, Krake and Oblivion: The Black Hole.

For me the park dosen't need thrill to make a good park. Look at Legoland Windsor,beautiful park.

IMO chessington needs general upkeep of there rides, this year almost all the main rides have been faulty.

Dragons Fury,Rattlesnake,Vampire,Bubbleworks,and Tombs. And Scorpion has a awful thorughput, so it can barely help.

If you think Alton Towers can "build anything hey want" so long as it's not above trees, and that Chessington could also build such large rides but just choose not to, then you don't know how complicated the planning issues are.

The council at Chessington are extremely strict and have been since it became a theme park. The one at Towers are usually quite helpful in working things out to suit everyone, from what I gather, but it's still hugely difficult. But they are 2 totally different sites and land

Merlin uk council relationships in summary,

Thorpe Park & Runnymede council

Can build a lot of things they want,high limit is around 130ft (except special conditions like Stealth), but they can't go much underground (if at all). The end result however must be very similar to what's been proposed

Current park council relations good. expected Success rate for planning 90%

Alton Towers & Runnymede council

Have fairly strict height & sound restrictions hence why Nemy was built in a pit, Blivvy was built underground, Rita has some dark green track and Thunder Looper left after 6 years.

However have a fair share of Terran areas to play with to build new rides, don't need to stick as strict to the plan as thorpe do and have areas in the park such as Adventure land, mutiny bay & Cloud Cuckoo where planning isn't necessarily needed (unless it's something massive). Often meet in the middle when it comes to needs.

Current relations, mixed, they're strict but eventually reach agreements, expected success rate for planning 65%

Chessington & Kingston council

Also have strict planning rules, no over tree height rides, nothing too noisy either. Unlike like towers lack areas for 'creative' expansion, council generally don't get on well with the park and expansion has been much harder since Transylvania due to Vampire's noise issues etc. Many plans have been made but been either refused or unschievable.

Current relations, not good, hated and ignored needs. Expected success for planning 40%

General,y expectations anyway.

• 3 months later...

There is plenty of space at Chessington for a decent new coaster IMO, but it may be a case of reshuffling existing attractions to make room.

Crazy Cars and the Truckers ride take up far too much space for what they are, and the latter could be relocated fairly easily - then if you remove the fountain feature between the two, there is ample space for a new ride.

It's okay! We're getting a scheme like Towers Loving Care with this "Putting the Theme back into Theme Parks." They word it like it's a generic thing that theme parks hardly theme stuff anymore. Only really you in that case Merlin... much like how you wouldn't have to give this Towers Loving Care if you had taken more care of Towers from day one. Same here, theme wouldn't need to be put back if it hadn't slowly been ripped out. Maybe Chessington should run a "Putting new rides back into Theme Parks" scheme, then we might actually get a new ride for once.