The Chessington Adventure Tree

Archive, your posts do make for depressing - but no doubt true - reading!

It's certainly going to be an interesting next couple of years for Merlin parks. Slightly OT but to read in those posts that Sub Terra is unlikely to ever reopen - what an astonishing waste of money considering it would've been just 4 years old this year!

Just now, MattyMoo said:

Archive, your posts do make for depressing - but no doubt true - reading!

It's certainly going to be an interesting next couple of years for Merlin parks. Slightly OT but to read in those posts that Sub Terra is unlikely to ever reopen - what an astonishing waste of money considering it would've been just 4 years old this year!

It's even worse when you find out what they were originally planning to spend that money on!

2 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

No they can't remove Bubbleworks! Either restore it to Prof. Burps or keep it as it is please.

Neither of those options should occur, it needs redoing, but going back to Prof Burp would never recapture the same imagination and humour of the original... And I doubt Merlin's fresh take for a modern audience would improve it...

So complete retheme to something new and original or just bin it... Those are the right options...

3 hours ago, ChessingtonSam said:

No they can't remove Bubbleworks! Either restore it to Prof. Burps or keep it as it is please.

That ride has run its course now. It was ruined by its retime and it's been limping on for ten years now. Time to put it out of its misery. It can be a great ride again with the proper effort put in.

1 hour ago, Matt Creek said:

Nothing screams of originality and dedication more than an I.P attraction. Yay for creativity and pushing the boat out!

That will obviously restore my faith in Chessington, the UK's first [and once best] proper theme park. 

''catches plane to a decent European park''. 

The problem isn't IP's, it is the way they are implemented. Merlin seem rather cozy with Dreamworks at the moment, there is no reason why a decent Dreamworks attraction couldn't work.

Depends. Heide Park have a How to Train your Dragon area now with several rides themed to the film. What with Dreamworks having shows at Chessington and the Shrek Adventure on Southbank, I wonder whether a theme park thousands of miles away will have a bearing on Merlin.

On 4/27/2016 at 8:41 AM, Mark9 said:

Depends. Heide Park have a How to Train your Dragon area now with several rides themed to the film. What with Dreamworks having shows at Chessington and the Shrek Adventure on Southbank, I wonder whether a theme park thousands of miles away will have a bearing on Merlin.

Dreamworks might do a much better job if they operate it themselves, since Merlin are incapable of even getting a simple bus ride (Shreks Adventure) installed/working correctly 

2 hours ago, JoshC. said:

Given that Shrek's Adventure is planned to be rolled out across the globe (in a similar fashion to the Dungeons brand), I'd be surprised if the Merlin / Dreamworks connection wasn't very strong.

Not just Shreks Adventure, Merlin stated that they want to use other IPs such as Kung Fu Panda for Shanghai. Dreamworks and Merlin will be fine, however I think they will now have larger limits on midways in America. 

• 3 months later...

SouthParks have reported chessington submitting a planning application to move the carousel to the Market Square area. I'm surprised by this decision, but also welcome it as it is nice to see money being put into the park. However, I was surprised by how much chessington owns, (as the image shows) as I thought it wasn't much more than what the park is now. http://www.southparks.co.uk/2016/08/10/chessington-world-of-adventures-resort-to-install-new-carousel/

Image_1.jpg

Seems a shame to chuck a ride into that nice big open space to be honest.  The area worked nicely as just a plaza with no ride in my opinion.

Then again, if it's done right, then I'm sure it could be a nice focal point for the park.  Not to dissimilar to the chairswing at Phantasialand really.  But it comes down to if they do it right, which given recent investments, feels like a big if.