Fright Nights 2015

Jack F

My thoughts tonight (Don't read for spoilers)

Big Top

A maze of two extremes, started well went down hill got better when the ring leader appears but still lacks the greatness of Asylum & Studio.

Cabin

Virtually identical to last year, but still my favourite

MBV

Weakest maze of the night, acting is ok but is too short now without the hospital scenes.

Saw Alive

This has grown on me slit, more theatrical than before so was good fun.

Blair Witch

Some improvements again but there is still room for more

Fright nights overall

Once again has its pros and cons but did really enjoy it again. I like that small pieces of theming have no started appearing at this event & considering the problems big top has faced it can only get better through time really.

It's really nice that Thorpe are allowing us to film in the mazes, a nice gesture to passholders IMO.

In theory, it was only press who had signed forms who were allowed to film / photograph inside the mazes tonight.

-----

Tonight was fun. Managed two goes in each of the mazes...

-BWP was fantastic. Great atmosphere and use of effects!

-Big Top was a bit of a mixed bag. First run through was bad, second run through much better. More theming is needed though. Apparently the maze was only signed off at 3pm today and actors went in for the first time shortly after.

-Saw was great, with a ton of actors.

-Cabin again was great, just needed for actors at the end.

-Once again MBV wad the worst. Needs a major redesign really.

Roaming actors were good fun and in general, the quality of the acting was top notch. A few things need settling in bit I'm sure it will be a great FN this season!

In theory, it was only press who had signed forms who were allowed to film / photograph inside the mazes tonight.

No, we asked the host at the front of each queue and were told that we were allowed to film, but only for the preview night.

The Big Top had potential but for me, the lack of theming really let it down - the first tent was just black curtains apart from one small scene, the second tent was slightly better but the third tent was just black sheets again with a few small themed areas and a few set pieces (some of which was in darkness).  I was glad that they brought back the classic final, but the way it was executed was just poor IMO, he didn't chase us but just stood there in the darkness so we couldn't even see him!

It also felt much more temporary than any of the other mazes IMO, black sheets hanging off metal poles just don't cut it for a park of Thorpe's stature.

Unfortunately I didn't get to experience The Blair Witch Project today but I'm going again on Sunday so hopefully will be able to then.

I will be writing full reviews of all the mazes tomorrow in a TR, bit late now!

Any gels around the park other than Stealth? I think it's pretty poor on Thorpe's behalves that they can only get the main attraction signed off a few hours before opening, seems unfair on the actors. I would put a bet bet on that this fright nights 2015 page was put up much before the park had started to think about sets etc. It seems like those carnival games could be utilized as well in the big top with actors, whose to say those roaming the park were not just part of the maze but did not have there resources yet. And I'm sure that there will be a lot of unhappy people tomorrow maybe this whole weekend when they find out that one of this years new pay for attractions containment is not working due to generator issues.

I know it's early days but I think next year we need an all star line up:

Experiment 10

Asylum

Big Top

Saw Alive 

CITW

and one other from previous years to get this event from a good night out to the UK's leading horror event.

But I can't comment yet as I haven't been yet so I will leave my opinions for Sunday.

The night got much better as it went on, Big Top improved drastically which I'm sure it will even more over the coming days. My bloody valentine was so so so so poor, that needs scrapping. Even though Cabin was fantastic and BWP was quite good, the Lionsgate mazes felt a little bit stale. They could do with a whole host of fresh new mazes next year.

Nice! Well as far as I see it, it seemed to bode well. There's park wide theming and more roaming actors. Cabin is great. Saw is better than usual. Blair witch is just as good if not better with more actors. Big Top has a lot of promise. Only problem is MBV. MBV has always been a problem, it's like a minute long! I really like that big top video. The only problem I have is the second tent. Why the hell could they not have made a proper mirror maze?!