Fright Nights 2015

Jack F

Visited last night and overall very pleased :)

Big top has made HUGE improvements, the whole feel of the maze is now 10x better, absolutely love it now!

We did Cabin FAR too many times, but every time we went in this same actor was tormenting me because she recognised me and it actually really put me on edge! Always my favourite maze :)

We has SUCH a good run through SAW Alive yesterday as well! At least 2 actors in each room, everyone was brilliant, and I can't say it was actually scary per say but we were just watching in awe of how good it was :')

MBV is sadly just awful IMO and I have yet to have a halfway decent run. we saw no actors in the entire first half, still haven't gone down the tunnel, saw maybe 2 or 3 "victims" the whole time and still no Harry...

Still haven't done Blair witch but I will hopefully if I can get there again but it will unfortunately be over half term week :(

Also did a Face It Alone in SAW and oh wow... :') definately not for the faint of heart and to say I wasn't shaking in terror in the lead up to the maze would be a lie. The experience is extremely intense! I would definately reccommend and do it again though!

Just started the evening off with MBV... Woah, so much better than last weekend, loads of smoke, tonnes of actors everywhere!! Got some fast tracks (because who queues on a Saturday!?) for cabin and big top later, let's see how they compare to last weekend :)

Shouldn't that be :

because who goes on a Saturday.

Okay so Cabin seemed a better run through than last weekend.

And well Big Top, rated it 2/5 last Saturday, 4/5 Sunday, and would give it a 5/5 tonight, so many little improvements which was so great... Still seemed to be having lots of technical difficulties though, left the fast track queue and got our pass to return later as it kept stopping, then we went back later and got evacuated, about 10 minutes after got back in fine.

Staying at Shark hotel tonight and they hold a Campfire story at 10:30 up until 11:30, was expecting a kids thing but it was a big top themed show! Learnt about the backstory of the Figaro brothers which made more sense as to why there are certain things in the maze (and the chainsaw). One gave me a spider as a pet. Did MBV quickly earlier and it was disappointing, got pushed into an actors shortcut by an actor (?). Containment at midnight shall be interesting!

that guy came out of face it alone topless.. covered in white stuff with half his trousers down and a ball gag in his mouth. jesus christ

anyway I just got back from fright nights and it was amazing, miles better than last year. ill post a review tomorrow :-)

In all seriousness I hope they warn people that they will be de-clothed, as I can see some people having an issue with that if they weren't warned.

Also do you get them back afterwards?

I visited yesterday (Saturday 17th) and I have to say, I was extremely impressed. In general I do think the mazes were all scarier and more intense than last years. Here's some of my reviews.

THE BIG TOP

I was actually incredibly surprised and impressed with this maze. The first tent definitely does not add anything to the maze and is a bit of a let down, but the rest of the maze is great. Quite a few actors in the other two tents, with lots of jumping out and getting in your face. I actually jumped A LOT in this maze.

9/10

My Bloody Valentine

I wasn't expecting much of this maze becUse of all the bad reviews I've heard of it but I did really enjoy it. I like how it cracks down on claustrophobia and forces you to bend down at places, and there's some really interesting scents and theming in there. I also had an actor fully prevent me from getting past and very nearly licking my face. The only let downs was that we ran into the group in front of us which broke the immersion, and the finale was lit up far too well because of light seeping in through the curtains so it didn't have as much effect.

7.5/10

Cabin in the woods

This maze was great, as always. I managed to find the control room also. Lots of actors, and some really clever scares throughout.

8.5/10

Saw Alive

Was a very good maze actually. I was glad to see they have improved it. A lot more intense and a lot of actors. I think it has a good balance of jumpscares and creepy scares, if you know what I mean. Still wasn't my favourite maze, I don't like the conga line.

6.5/10

Blair Witch

Not a bad experience. There was not many actors in the whole thing, but it was still suitably creepy and had a few interesting parts. The vegetation added to it and make it a bit more atmospheric. Like with MBV, the last section was a bit too well lit, however I did enjoy the shed scene. For a 2/5 scare rating, it's perfect, but just isn't much compared with CITW and THE BIG TOP.

5/10

Overall, THE BIG TOP was probably my favourite maze, perhaps because I was expecting it to be really bad, or perhaps because I jump pretty easily. I just thought it had a really good and creepy atmosphere and there were lots of jumpy sections! Also it was nice to experience a brand new maze which I had never done before.

I think Thorpe Park did pretty well with their mazes this year. I was very impressed, very scared and had a lot of fun!

Visited yesterday... Hate to say it but I was disappointed. Worst year I've been from when I started in 2010.

The Big Top - Very rushed. To anyone who hasn't experienced it yet, I hope you like black felt because the entire maze is made out of it. Everything felt a bit shabby and not finished. The first tent was entirely pointless, costumes were generally pretty bad, and I wasn't scared once despite being a very jumpy person. I was a bit nervous during the last few metres but only because I like having ankles. Also, the mirror maze? C'mon Thorpe Park, it was laughable. I won't ruin it if you haven't been inside but oh my was it atrocious. 

Saw Alive - Also pretty bad. The sets inside are pretty damn good but the acting let it down completely, and the fact you still have to do it all in a conga line made it even worse. All of the actors (except one) just shouted "boo" at us and waved their hands in our faces. This to me doesn't scream quality halloween attraction, it screams primary school play tbh. Throughput last night was good on this maze though so I'll give them that. 

Cabin in the Woods - This was actually good. Very dark and atmospheric, actors did a huge variety of things and some hid extremely well. I had one actor literally emerge from the ground in front of me which was terrifying so we really enjoyed this one. It was a good length too, not to short and not too drawn out. It was a bit too bright near the end though which needs some adjusting in my opinion.

As for the event in general...

Park was heaving with teenagers just there to cause a bit of trouble. Many trying to jump queues, many smoking in queues (even though some of them were literally about 13), lots of people throwing things in the queues etc. I also realised when queueing for the Big Top that I've never seen so many people wearing sweatpants and tracksuits in one place! Pretty sure there's a world record for that which I'm sure the park could milk for some PR. Park was quite clean which was nice. There were some bits of little but nothing major.

Samurai was open some of the day, however we left the queue when we realised it was just two revolutions each way. They need to bin that thing now and buy a new one, as that's not worth queueing for at all. 

Overall, the day was entertaining but mainly not for all good reasons. Hopefully next year they'll bump their game up because in general the event as been dropping in quality from when I first visited (except for 2011, that was a good year.)

Went in Cabin for the first time last night and god, it was awful, it was pretty much daylight in there, you could see the actors (all 4 of them) from a mile off and it just seemed really badly thought out D: The Control room was a let down because no one was in the rooms on the camera's so it didn't really work..

Personally I think Hellgate >>>> CITW

Also disappointed the spinning tunnel didn't spin  -_-