Fright Nights 2016

Graw

yeah agreed. saw was actually brilliant this year on my 2 run throughs. in my opinion, it's really just got good. cabin ill be sad to see leave too, best maze ive ever done at thorpe :-(.

and yeah, MBV needs to go. I actually thought it was great last year but this year and in 2013 it was ridiculously awful. I wont care if it leaves at all.

yeah agreed. saw was actually brilliant this year on my 2 run throughs. in my opinion, it's really just got good. cabin ill be sad to see leave too, best maze ive ever done at thorpe :-(.

and yeah, MBV needs to go. I actually thought it was great last year but this year and in 2013 it was ridiculously awful. I wont care if it leaves at all.

I've never liked it honestly- in the first year it creeped me out bc I swear it was a lot darker? Don't quote me on that but I used to feel it was genuinely frantic and really claustrophobic and now I just amble through :') a revamp is needed!

I think Thorpe should follow on from what Alton Towers have done this year at Scarefest- from what I've heard sub species (their own new maze) topped everything at Thorpe park and was very unique. I think Thorpe should put a lot of money into theming and have a lot more actors and they're sorted. A lot of the rooms in Thorpe mazes are plain and look like white cardboard or black felt, and it's hard to build an atmosphere like this if I'm honest.

I feel like Sub-Species at AT has really set the bar for what Merlin are capable of. I know this will be an unpopular opinion but I think they should just start charging for their mazes and reduce the number. It will alleviate most of their logistical problems, and hopefully push for A better quality of maze. I love that Thorpe go for the more extreme side of things but I wish they'd pour their budget into 3 amazing mazes rather than spreading it out so thinly that we just get 5 "okay" mazes.

Saw alive going would be great news. Mainly because if they gut out the the rooms, it's one of the very few areas of the park where they'll have a vast area of flat, expansive space to work on a new maze with.

The Big Top has some great tricks in it. Not necessarily very scary but different to all other mazes they've done and a lot more entertaining. The mirror maze, fun house etc. A lot more entertaining than some of their previous attempts at mazes. 

BWP will be easy to replace with their own walk in the woods. Maybe then the shed can make a bit more sense than it currently does. They'll probably reuse the shipping containers and just retheme them again, the fact Ex 10 was great shows they have potential. Cabin I guess they could just make a multi route maze (that's if they still can use that space...) and Saw Alive could be rethemed. Though I'd guess if Saw The Ride is still Saw themed then the maze might stay? 

I don't want them to bring back previously done mazes. Move onwards, not backwards. Yes Asylum was well established, but it was time to move on. Next year, Big Top will be well established and they'll know what they're doing with it so it'll open on time. Thorpe have shown that they can create some great mazes without IP's and I'm sure they'll succeed again. Plus, 3-4 new mazes for next year is brilliant! Towers got a hefty budget this year it seems with 2 new mazes and one properly rerouted and Chessie has 2 new mazes so I think it's safe to say they won't see huge changes next year so it suits Thorpe.

What I would like

Thematic areas/scare areas. These are areas of the park such as swarm island, which are thematically lit and have relevant scare actors within them

At least 1 maze which takes more than 10 minutes to go through. (Cabin took us the longest and that was just under 3 minutes, Just for comparison, the towers mazes were 11 minutes (TOTT) 12.5 minutes (Sub Species) and 13 minutes (Molly).

Chainsaw endings are boring. Shake it up a little, How about one where you have to crawl through a wood cutter to exit and as your foot goes through it starts up.

Every maze should have

1. a reason why you are there (thorpe forget this),
  2. a reason for you to have to go through the maze (They miss this too),
  3. an engrosing posably real story (http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/surrey/surrdata.php loads of local ghost stories here, pick one) , 
  4. atmosphere
  5. a climactic end.

A better thought out version of containment. This was the only maze this year at Thorpe that had all 5 of my demands and unfortunately the problems were a bit hit and miss,

the final room, when we went through, didnt even have the red chord, which was key to the solution.

Every maze should have

1. a reason why you are there (thorpe forget this),
  2. a reason for you to have to go through the maze (They miss this too),
  3. an engrosing posably real story (http://www.paranormaldatabase.com/surrey/surrdata.php loads of local ghost stories here, pick one) , 
  4. atmosphere
  5. a climactic end.

The Big Top does actually have a story behind it (it's fictional though!), but you can only find it out if you attend the Campfire Stories they have on at 10:30ish for Shark Hotel guests. It was really interesting and interactive, it also gave a reason for the chainsaw! I think if they actually showed these stories during the daytime somewhere in the main park it would be good, almost like a pre-show but not quite.

Yes! This would be awesome!! And they could make it so good!

As much as I love film, I really don't think it would work. The Babadook is more of psyological depression film than any thing else.

It would take one hell of a imagination and a budget to do a Babadook maze, and what would the actors be?

I feel like  the main focus of the film is far apart from a horror maze. IMO The Babadook should be left from being destroyed by Merlin..

At least 1 maze which takes more than 10 minutes to go through. (Cabin took us the longest and that was just under 3 minutes, Just for comparison, the towers mazes were 11 minutes (TOTT) 12.5 minutes (Sub Species) and 13 minutes (Molly).

What I will say is that this is always going to be an issue for Thorpe, particularly since they have now lost the arena and I'm a Celeb space. Towers has the advantage of already having a huge space. It sucks but I'm not going to expect Thorpe to ever have something like The Sanctuary where it probably took a good minute or two to get from the marmalisation scene upstairs to the first operating scene downstairs.

• JoshC. pinned this topic
  • Marc unpinned this topic