Fright Nights 2016

Graw

5 minutes ago, mrmatt said:

There has been a picture on fb showing that celebrity maze has been shut for the reason of fright nights. Do you rekon they are going to add another maze here for the season or something??

I don't think so, it's probably because of the limited amounts of actors.

35 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Out of interest, what improvements are people hoping to see to Fright Nights this year (both in terms of the overall event and mazes)?

Swarms of interactive roamers, decent park wide theming and audio, good improved mazes and most importantly, limited ticket and fast track sales to decrease the queues.

(also I like conga line style mazes so possibly make big top conga?)

1 hour ago, 0wl said:

Damn autocorrect! Their snapchat was their fright night barriers over the walking route around saw alive, I could be wrong but it seems something different might be occuring

Apparently according to a conversation I overheard the other day at Thorpe, it is so the entire area from saw the ride's plaza all the way down to the big top is blocked off so there is more room for construction and moving props in and out from the big top area easier. Not 100% percent sure but don't see what they can do to saw alive in a month that will majorly improve it anyway, Imo it was the best of the 4 I have done at fright nights so they don't need to change it anyway. I would guess that if they are doing any interior work it will just be checking that all the lighting and other effects are working throughout the maze. I seriously think they need to light up the 5th and 6th rooms a bit more aswell.

The Fright Night barriers on the Saw island blocking access to Saw Alive are simply there because that pathway is currently a dead end during Big Top construction.  It looks like once Fright Nights starts there'll be plenty of room of access to that pathway next to Big Top, so it's likely just a temporary measure.

Answering my own question, I'd firstly like to see an improvement to The Big Top.  I don't like the theme (IMO it's too generic), but with that said they do have potential to make it scary.  They could have some scarier-looking clowns in there, remove the first crystal ball scene and give the entire maze a sense of chaos.  Personally, I feel it would be much better as one big maze rather than split into three sections, and if that was the case, some of the theming previously used outside could be incorporated creatively into the interior so there are more places for actors to hide.

A weakness of the big tent last year was that it was too dark to see the actors or set pieces, which may have been down to the fact that if they lit it up more, you would realise that it really was just a tent with curtains!

Finally, the chainsaw finale was really poorly executed last year - you couldn't really see the actor as it was so dark, and the exit was facing away from the queue - part of the fun with Asylum was watching people run out as you queue, as this added to the atmosphere of the area and anticipation whilst queueing.

Also, the quality of the interior was not up to standard last year IMO, black felt cloths hanging off temporary scaffolding really doesn't cut it for an event as established as Fright Nights;

29373863942_156e85665d_b.jpg

(Photo taken during the Preview event last year where we were told filming was permitted)

Elsewhere, the other mazes could do with a few changes purely so that they're a bit different, for example a few new locations for actors to jump out of.  I'd also like to see a real focus on making them scary, as whilst they're fun, they are (IMO) not as scary as mazes Thorpe have done in the past.

Parkwide some more theming and atmosphere would be nice - the audio and roaming actors last year were spot on but there is still more that could be done; who remembers the lighting and smoke on Samurai a good few years back?

9 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Also, the quality of the interior was not up to standard last year IMO, black felt cloths hanging off temporary scaffolding really doesn't cut it for an event as established as Fright Nights;

29373863942_156e85665d_b.jpg

Apologises for changing the subject topic, and for the odd question, but have you (or anyone else) got any more photos of the 'circus adverts' that were in the second tent?  

3 minutes ago, BaronC. said:

Apologises for changing the subject topic, and for the odd question, but have you (or anyone else) got any more photos of the 'circus adverts' that were in the second tent?  

I haven't unfortunately, there's one on Scruffy Dog's website though http://scruffydogltd.com/theming-design/thorpe-park-fright-nights-the-big-top/

• Marc unpinned this topic