Fright Nights 2016

Graw

Oh my word! The quality of the mazes this year is just outstanding, all 3 that I have done have been soooo intense, I think we finally have the event we have been wanting it to be for years.

big top: 10/10 WOW! Pretty much a completely new maze, outstanding.

Saw alive: 9/10 extremely intense, so many actors in the first 4 rooms, however room 5 and 6 are the reasons it only gets a 9 as the effects weren't working.

Cabin: 9/10 amazing again, extremely hands on and at least 5 actors in the final room, very intense, amazing

seriously though the big top is phenomenal

I was here last night for the staff preview, I had a fun night but I felt the mazes were poor compared to others I've been in.

I feel the issue with Thorpe mazes is you walk into a room or corridor, have a load of actors shouting in your face and banging on the walls then you walk into the next room and repeat. There's little variety and there's not much tension. Good horror involves a constant build up and release of emotions which these mazes just don't really nail.

I think my problem with the variety involves the costumes and acting style. In CITW why are there so many actors in ripped clothes and bloodied faces when they have that whole board of monsters to choose from? And why couldn't they have gone all out character wise in Big Top? I was expecting some really threatening clown masks, maybe a crazed huge Russian bodybuilder or something fun like that but it's just more standard actors.

It's a fun event with some good jumps but for me it got a bit stale by the fourth or so maze. Looking forward to hearing everyone's reviews!

Lots of poor reviews I've been seeing about Platform 15. I watched the TPM Live POV and I have to say I wasn't impressed. I will experience this first hand myself next week, but there seemed to be a lot of dead space. Hopefully they might change things. 

Big Flop again mixed reviews coming in, never done the original so looking forward to doing this next week. Again lots of people saying there's lots of improvements to be made still.

A few quick, non-spoiler, words:

Platform 15

Needs work.  A bit too open and not enough actors. Nice beginning and nice idea though. 

The Big Top 

Fantastic.  Much more intense andvery nicely themed.  Definitely a highlight and stand out attraction to me.

Blair Witch 

Not as good as recent years, which is a shame.  Much like Platform, a bit too open and not enough actors.  Good idea still, just needs a couple of tweaks.

Containment

Great fun this year.  Each room is clearer in what needed to be done and what it's representing, but still represents a challenge.  Also had the best actors! 

Saw Alive

Pretty much the same as last year.  Very intense and the actors matched that intensity. 

Cabin in the Woods 

Not the best run through I've had in it.  A bit weak all in all, but one has to wonder of that's because of getting used to it. 

Also something to note - only maze where actors touched me was Containment.  Touching was allowed in all mazes but never happened.  Obviously touching isn't necessaryto scare, but if you're allowed to do it, why not do it?

Obviously media night should never be used to judge the event as a whole, and I'm sure the event will grow and settle as time goes on.  I look forward to going again soon!

Big Top has become the best maze at the park which it really needed to be.

Platform 15 was really disappointing, although I thought the train scene was great.

Blair Witch is same old Blair Witch with added storyline sentence (don't look into her eyes).

Cabin is getting quite stale now, hopefully this will be its final year.

Saw Alive was solid with actors working their arses off (chiller room girl hanging upside down was great).

Containment was much better this year, had fantastic actors and each room was very clever and entertaining.

Platform had a decent spiel up until you saw the train then it just was awful. You could see every actor and the path is far too wide. How it's a 5 scare rating I'll never know. You'd really have thought Thorpe knew how not to go so wrong again but no.

Cabin is cabin. Literally nothing has changed and yes the tunnel still don't spin. 

Blair was just a walk with attacking trees. New scenes is a bold statement. 

Saw alive is always consistent, don't know why it gets so much hate cos it's always kinda good. 

Now big top. It now feels like every other Thorpe maze, there's no fun elements or actor interaction really, it's just walk around the maze. Yeah theming is better inside but the scares are samey. At least they could have worked upon big top from last year with the photo drop hatch scares etc but no. I know why people are lapping it up, same reason asylum was overrated, strobes. I'm glad it still has the same music outside though :)

Containment is much much better. Not £10 worth but better and actually challenging! 

Some highlights should happen. I like the theming but it's still to far and few between but it's a start and stealth is pretty again. :)

Hi folks, *new member alert*

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but it is Fright Night themed!

Has anyone taken part in any corporate events for the Fright nights? I am in the John Lewis Partnership and we are lucky enough to have exclusive access on a certain date to the park with Fight Night experience included (10am-10pm). I am just curious to what experiences people may have had and if it is the 'real deal' so to speak? As it will obviously be less busy than a public day, so my fears will be fewer actors in mazes ect. 

Thank you!

Relentless

7 minutes ago, Relentless said:

Has anyone taken part in any corporate events for the Fright nights? I am in the John Lewis Partnership and we are lucky enough to have exclusive access on a certain date to the park with Fight Night experience included (10am-10pm). I am just curious to what experiences people may have had and if it is the 'real deal' so to speak? As it will obviously be less busy than a public day, so my fears will be fewer actors in mazes ect. 

Thank you!

Relentless

Ive been to one before and it was very much the "real deal" - being quieter just expect more attention from the actors!

Enjoy! 

1 hour ago, Relentless said:

Thank you!

Relentless

I've been before back when it was the first year of the lionsgate contract, and it was the best time at thorpe park ive ever had. So much quieter and a better atmosphere. Would definitely recomend going if you have contacts in the JLP!

2 minutes ago, Fin The Human said:

I've been before back when it was the first year of the lionsgate contract, and it was the best time at thorpe park ive ever had. So much quieter and a better atmosphere. Would definitely recomend going if you have contacts in the JLP!

That sounds really positive, thank you Fin for your comment! I am less worried now!

I am a partner myself and I have invited my brother to join me :-)

• Marc unpinned this topic