Fright Nights 2016

Graw

3 hours ago, Graw said:

will there be a spoiler thread created so people can discuss the mazes in detail? :-)

Yes - http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/11349-spoilers-fright-nights-2016/ ;)

Please keep this thread spoiler free, and only use it if you're trying to find out stuff whilst avoiding spoilers.

I'll leave this thread open for the time being, but I imagine there won't really be a need for it in a week or so time.

Thorpe park fright nights 2016 opening night review.

Cabin in the woods: always a fun maze to do at Halloween. Solid as usual. I found that we ended up being part of a massive conga line for the last half of the maze. Over all 7/10
Saw Alive: it is roughly the same as it always is. Intense as normal over all I'd give it 7/10
The big top:
This is a massive improvement on last year. Very disorienting. Great sound track. Over all a lot of fun. The scares are really good. Even though we had a conga line for the last half and no classical big top ending I still really enjoyed it. 8/10
Platform 15:
I can't really properly judge this maze from my 1 run through it. We got stopped about half way through for about 15 minuets which kind of ruined the experience. The last half is .... Interesting and the finale was bad as well. Over all I'd give it 4/10.
Blair witch.
Also with p15 I can't really give this a proper review due to the fact that we had an interesting bunch near us in the queue who didn't really like my group to much. The actors in Blair witch were great as usual but I wasn't scared at any point. Over all I'd give it 6/10.
I really did enjoy fright nights and the event as a whole is a positive. Gj Thorpe

1 hour ago, jonny9403 said:

Thorpe park fright nights 2016 opening night review.

Cabin in the woods: always a fun maze to do at Halloween. Solid as usual. I found that we ended up being part of a massive conga line for the last half of the maze. Over all 7/10
Saw Alive: it is roughly the same as it always is. Intense as normal over all I'd give it 7/10
The big top:
This is a massive improvement on last year. Very disorienting. Great sound track. Over all a lot of fun. The scares are really good. Even though we had a conga line for the last half and no classical big top ending I still really enjoyed it. 8/10
Platform 15:
I can't really properly judge this maze from my 1 run through it. We got stopped about half way through for about 15 minuets which kind of ruined the experience. The last half is .... Interesting and the finale was bad as well. Over all I'd give it 4/10.
Blair witch.
Also with p15 I can't really give this a proper review due to the fact that we had an interesting bunch near us in the queue who didn't really like my group to much. The actors in Blair witch were great as usual but I wasn't scared at any point. Over all I'd give it 6/10.
I really did enjoy fright nights and the event as a whole is a positive. Gj Thorpe

Was that at about 10:15 tonight? Also was on at that point!

4 hours ago, Jack said:

Something came up today meaning that I couldn't visit, can anybody tell me how long the queues were for the mazes and which one was the quietest/busiest at 3:00. Thankyou

the queue times website is useful for this (queue-times.com) but I think the worst ones tonight queue wise were the big top and P15, but they all had really long queues with nothing dropping below an hour from memory, with some at the 90-120 min mark.

I got fast track and did the big top and Saw. In here I'll post brief opinions.

Big top- good opening scene, liked the music. Not scary, didn't enjoy it as a scare maze to be honest as I didn't feel scared, was left underwhelmed. Actors often just walked straight past us all without doing anything lol, it also seemed too light in places so we could see them clearly. No chainsaw ending. Friends who were new to horror mazes thought it was rubbish. 4/10

Saw alive - better than previous times, actors were creative in their scares, groups were too large (12 in a group) same in big top which may have affected it. Intense though, 6/10

Had a really enjoyable day at Fright Nights yesterday, although the over-selling of Fastrack was rife (despite the increased prices), and as others have said here, it is laughable that Platform 15 gets 5 stars for scariness on this year's park map. A good concept, poorly executed.

That said, The Big Top was a triumph. So bad last year; so good this year! It was well themed, disorientating, jumpy, funny - and that music creates a really chaotic atmosphere. Not the scariest maze of the lineup, but I loved it.

Full review as always over at Total Thorpe Park.

And the last ride of the day on Stealth. Magic.

fright2016stealthlaunch.jpg

1 hour ago, BenC said:

Had a really enjoyable day at Fright Nights yesterday, although the over-selling of Fastrack was rife (despite the increased prices),

It's a shame that Fastrack queues are still an issue at the moment.  On the whole, Fastrack control has been better this year than previous years, so I was hoping that that would reflect during Fright Nights.  I imagine yesterday wasn't helped by the fact Platform 15 opened about 90 minutes late, which would have caused a backlog of Fastrackers no doubt.  Fingers crossed that lessons are learnt from this weekend!

Went for Fright Nights yesterday, only managed to do one run through of all the mazes (excluding Platform 15 in the evening) this was mainly down to long waiting times and attractions breaking down. Did a backstage tour of Platform 15 & Big Top and it is amazing to see how much they changed it this year theming and actors wise, best maze of the year for me considering I fell to the floor after being tickled by a clown. Did Saw Alive for Face It Alone it was very messy but not as extreme as last year (where I also did Saw) as staff said they had to tone it down due to complaints or something. Saw romaing actors once and that was for the Face It Alone ceremony thing. No Experiment 10 actors as far as I'm aware though.

Overall was a good day but I feel it wasn't as great as last year with organisation wise.

17 hours ago, jonny9403 said:

P15 day is a solid 0.3/10

lol that's what I thought after watching the POV, the train scene looked cool but in other places you could see the actors coming pretty clearly even in the dark! A few props or something for them to hide behind wouldn't have gone amiss lol. Still haven't done an outdoors maze yet at Thorpe park, maybe next year!

Experiment 10 roamers were really great, plenty of them too, if you walked past you got guaranteed interaction with them and we bumped into them at least 3 times! I felt bad one jumped out at me but I was staring elsewhere so I completely ruined it for them despite their efforts. Some looked quite asylum-esque with the hospital gowns too :D 

I should have stalled our group in big top to get a better run though, nobody in the group in front wanted to go through each door so had around 10-15 people in a huddle in each room lol, if I did it on my own or a group of up to 5 people I think it would have been more fun. Music was cool. Still there weren't many actors in my run through and no real ending either just walked out like 'was that it'. I'll try and stop moaning now :P More actors smaller groups then we're talking.

Also the fasttrack queue for saw alive took at least 20 minutes, which was why I think they made the groups as large as possible. But still was the best run through of saw I've done so far!

• Marc unpinned this topic