Fright Nights 2016

Graw

If you can do Face it Alone, do face it alone.

IMG_9149.JPG

Just out of interest how does Face It Alone work? Is there a set time everyone goes through the maze?

I kind of want to do it but I've been to the MAP preview day so I've already done all the mazes and I don't really fancy hanging about in hour long queues all day for other attractions after the selection ceremony. I kind of want to get into the park do Face It Alone and Containment and leave.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Richard_L said:

Just out of interest how does Face It Alone work? Is there a set time everyone goes through the maze?

I kind of want to do it but I've been to the MAP preview day so I've already done all the mazes and I don't really fancy hanging about in hour long queues all day for other attractions after the selection ceremony. I kind of want to get into the park do Face It Alone and Containment and leave.

It's done after the mazes close, it's supposed to be from 10pm onwards but it depends on how long the normal queue is first! I do believe you can miss the ceremony if you just wanna do it in the evening, just makes it all a bit more fun! 

I found this years fright nights much better than a couple of previous ones. 

Though walking around in the crowds I just kept thinking to myself, this event needs to expand massively to meet the demand. For an event this big I think the park needs to invest in;

7 descent mazes

2 walk through scarezones

live entertainment 

Ride reliability was an issue on my visit. Lots of rides broke down and also I was on nemesis and something dropped down and hit my face, it felt like I had been cut open so much pain it lasted more than 24 hours, I went to see a staff member immediately after but was told there was nothing they could do. 

1 hour ago, ChessingtonSam said:

So is Face It Alone essentially now McKamey Manor?

McKamey Manor is a survival experience - you are in a series of scenarios for several hours with no means of stopping the experience.  It's not a scare attraction or anything like that, but just a means of pushing people to the edge and a way for people to get their kicks.  From what I heard of Snuffhouse After Dark and Snuffhouse Alone (experiences co-created by McKamey in the UK), it feels like McKamey has very little knowledge in terms of scare attractions, but instead knows how to just make things as brutal as possible, whilst avoiding the realms of full-on torture.  

Face it Alone is an extreme version of mazes.  The aim is to unsettle and scare you, but still keep it fun.  Face it Alones still keep within the theme / idea of the maze (Big Top uses custard pies for example, as a way of partially blinding you to make things more difficult for you.  Studio 13 caked you in make up, before 'giving up on your face' and covering it with masking tape).  So they essentially the mazes as they are during the day, just with the opportunity to actually interact with you on a personal and invasive level; something which cannot be done during any normal maze run through at any park.

So went to Fright Nights yesterday and was pretty impressed, was a lot better than last year overall. Favourite mazes this year in order...

1) Cabin in the woods - By far the strongest maze this year even though its the one I've probably been on the most there. Loads of actors who were all going all out and still didn't expect a lot of the jump scares 

2) Platform 15 - Actually really liked Platform even though I had really low expectations. Yes there is lots of room for improvements, but loved the whole feel of it. Could of been more actors but there actors there were really good, and loved the finale. Strong maze.

3) Blair Witch - Haven't done blair witch the last 2 seasons so I was shocked to see how much it has improved! The grown foliage makes it soo much better as the actors can come out of anywhere and there was loads of actors!

4) Big Top - A lot better than last year, like people have said its pretty much a new maze. Unfortunately only tried it during the day and a lot of light seemed to be let in, would like another run through in the dark.

5) Saw Alive - Actors in this seemed to have been cut a lot in this. Its been here way too long now and would love to see something else.

Audio on the whole was pretty good this year but more speakers around the park would really help the park atmosphere. 

Could anyone who went last Sunday please PM me when you can, thanks

Went to Fright Nights yesterday and managed to get in 3 of the mazes here's my thoughts:

Platform 15 - Thorpe have got to be kidding themselves if they think this is good! It was practically just walking through the forest in the dark, nothing happened! The tunnel could have been so good if there'd actually been something to make me scared, but all the tension was lost after 30 seconds.

Big Top - An improvement from last year, much shorter though and still a disappointment, very few actors, which did hardly anything. Actual maze itself was good, just not scary, and a great soundtrack!

Blair Witch - Never done this before but at least it's honest with its scare rating. I actually found it more scary than Platform 15!

I do like how once it reaches 3pm, all the music changes to be Fright Nights themed, with Hello Zepp playing at some points too. Was surprised there was no Platform 15 theming though, was all The Director (didn't mind too much though, since Studio 13 is still my favourite maze by far, first one I went on too.

I only managed to get onto two mazes last night which was Cabin and The Big Top.

The Big Top: Honestly for me it was one of the best Thorpe mazes I have done since the Asylum... probably due to its simular feel. Lots of strobes, fences and actors everywhere on my run through. Had a load of jump scares, good interaction and a decent ending.

9/10 for me...

Cabin: It's getting a bit of the same... I think we need to get rid of all the lions gate mazes now. But still a enjoyable maze. It wasn't to scary and some effects don't work but overall it's a good layout and idea that can be made better with an own IP and new affects.

6-7/10

Went to Fright Nights on Sunday and managed to do all the mazes apart from Blair Witch, before I give a review of all the mazes I felt that Thorpe really do need to up their game as I didn't leave with good impressions and the whole event organisation is a shambles to be honest. I'm debating whether to return next year as other events seem to be setting the bar in terms of scares. I will list my reviews from worst to best. 

1. Saw Alive - I normally enjoy this maze, but for me it was dreadful this year. I counted about 5/6 actors on my run through, none of which provided any scares, usually this maze is quite intense but it was so bland this year. There were some scenes with no actors in e.g. electric room. The only good thing was the theming as always. 3/10

2. Platform 15 - I only rate this higher than saw because of the train scene. In terms of scares there was very little apart from an actor in the tunnel that made me jump. This maze is way too long, hardly no actors, there were many parts with no actors at all. The tunnel is dreadful, it's basically 2 miles worth of bin bags above your head. The only scare  factor is that it is pitch black. This would work good as a scare zone but not a maze. 4/10

3. Cabin in the woods - Gets worse every year, still enjoy the maze but it is look rather tired now, scares are just screaming and banging - very cheap scares in my opinion. They were letting far to many people in for it to be scary. Cabin is a very average maze now 5/10

4. The Big Top - The only decent maze of the night. Wow what an improvement! Strobes are very intense and disorientating which provided good scares, good theming and scares in the next few scenes and a great finale. This maze wont be for everyone but a good maze in my eyes - just a tad short. 8/10

As always very little roaming actors around the park and little park wide theming, Scarefest is 10x better!

36 minutes ago, Rach666 said:

How busy do people think it will be on the 31st? Appreciate it is Halloween but won't most of the kids be back at school?! 

Adults and teenagers will definetly be there, and some schools are off for Halloween, private schools also have 2 weeks off.

Went to Fright Nights twice this year on the 15th and 16th and altogether I think it was a decent year.

Great theming around the park this year, but there was a bit of a lack of roaming actors I thought.

1=Best 5=Worst

5)Platform 15- Had a great run through before dark, but it was dissapointing after dark as there was a lack of actors

4)Saw Alive- Did it once this year, I had a bad run through and a lack of scares but was good themeing and special effects

But it was less intense than last year.

3)Blair Witch- I had a great run through on this, had some great jump scares and the overgrowth made the experience more fun

and intense.

2)Cabin In The Woods- Great run through went on twice this year, very intense great improvement from last year as I found it less

intense.

1)Big Top- Defiently the best maze of the year, very intense great finale, loads of scares great theming and nice bits of history of

the park added in well, 100% better than last year.

Thats my opinion :)

Also a FN Vlog will be coming soon on my channel.

Lack of actors seems to be a consistent thing throughout but I do believe they are short and try to actively get more. I only ever see a few advertisements asking for them so maybe they should go all out next year? The ones at the park already are brilliant but they push themselves a lot to make up for the shortage. I always seem to see the Roaming crew lots when I go though?

I've done fright nights twice as of now this year, and thought I would leave my reviews. 5 worst, 1beat.

5: Platform 15
The scares for me are fairly obvious, have been evacced from it, lack of actors and the trek through the tunnel and finale do nothing for me.

4: Blair Witch
Same as platform for me, better then last year with the grown up trees, and thought actors were well positioned.

3: Saw
Saw, great theming for me, first time I've done it m, but I thought there were a lack of actors and purpose in some points.

2: Cabin
Always have enjoyed cabin, much the same as always for me, not really any changes but really depends on the actors performances.

1: Big top
I've done this twice, the first time there were a lack of actors but I thought it was very well done, especially like the prop room. However, when I went in there again, last Friday, the actors were better distributed, but lacking in the first section, but I didn't have a chainsaw finale. Is this just a mistime, or is it not there anymore, as I had it the week before?

Just tried to book 6 tickets for me and a group of friends to go to FN on 29th Oct and the price is £51.50 a head! It was £35 when I checked last week and I paid £25 last year! Anyone know why it is so expensive and how they justify this with even less attractions on offer?

Anyone got any info or tips on discount codes etc? Would be much appreciated! 

• Marc unpinned this topic