Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

Here's a thought, what if the "Arriving May 6th" sign was removed today as they are about to fit the queue time screen in it's place ready for setup and testing soon? It's possible that could be the case as it was in the same place where I'm sure the queue info board will be.

As for the description on their homepage website showing the kids go free offer changed the end date from May 1st to May 13th as noted earlier, could it just simply be an extended offer for another reason and doesn't imply the ride is delayed by another 2 weeks and they forgot to remove the description underneath it?

That being said, I am sure the ride is delayed. I'm just hoping I'm wrong! :wacko:

Ahhhh, probable delays. No surprises here then. 

The sign being taken down could be for the queue time however. Or signs pointing out main q, fastrack , etc.

I will remain hopefully that they open it on time, and if there is delays that they will announce them. But unfortunately the way this is going, I can't be as hopeful as I previously would've been. 

I do have a love/hate relationship with this forum at times :lol: If someone internally tells you something but says "you cannot post this anywhere" then you don't.... ANYWAY fingers crossed it isn't delayed, but I'd be very surprised if it opens on 6th May, heck, I'd even buy everyone a Nemesis Sub Terra Fastrack if it did.

31 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

I do have a love/hate relationship with this forum at times :lol: If someone internally tells you something but says "you cannot post this anywhere" then you don't.... ANYWAY fingers crossed it isn't delayed, but I'd be very surprised if it opens on 6th May, heck, I'd even buy everyone a Nemesis Sub Terra Fastrack if it did.

I always take their opening dates with a pinch of salt. I think thats the danger of the May opening thing really. When new rides opened with the park in March, they had a clear deadline and the parks nearly always hit that date. When we start with an initial, vague, May opening date all that happens is that the date slips.

It's a shame but without knowing the causes behind the delay it's a bit tough really. At least they have given over a weeks notice, and seems like they will be refunding people who've brought a ticket for that day.

Perhaps in future they should do what other parks do and not announce an opening date until much closer to the time. We still don't know when Reign of Kong at Universal and Taron at Phantasialand will open.

We have confirmation.

"

After careful consideration we’re moving the opening date for Derren Brown’s Ghost Train. This attraction is a completely new invention and we are making final tweaks to the remaining elements to get things absolutely perfect. We want you guys to have the full mind-blowing experience from the very first time you ride! 

We will post the new opening date here as soon as we can, so check in with our social channels for updates. Please know that this decision was not taken lightly as we know some of you have booked tickets to ride in anticipation of the 6 May opening date, and the last thing we want to do is disappoint you. If your ticket falls on a date before ride opening then please e-mail customer.services@thorpe-park.co.uk and our team will help you out."

^ Not neccesarily, they probably just haven't updated everything

Whilst DBGT being delayed is obviously a shame, I hope it's because they want everything to run almost perfectly from the word go - Without Derren involved they probably would have opened it on time in a lacklustre version where half of it didn't work #subterra

Have to say I'm not surprised at this; the large train-sized object sitting outside the warehouse with only weeks to go was a bit of a giveaway.

I'd FAR rather they waited until they were 100% happy before opening it, than opening a sub-par attraction. First impressions count for a lot. I've seen nothing from Derren Brown in the past that isn't very polished and impressive, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was also applying pressure to get it right before opening.

A shame for those who have planned trips / booked tickets, but I'm happy to wait... :)

I'm not that bothered by it's delay really. It's a huge project so I was more or less anticipating there's a chance that it might be delayed. Besides, Thorpe have given us a reasonable excuse as to why it'll open later. Thinking about it, it just shows Thorpe clearly aren't like some game designers who release a game...only for the players to realise it's unfinished when the DLC starts flying at them.

...and for the record, remember that trains are delayed every day so it's nothing new really... ;)

Not only is it a major disappointment for the ride to be delayed, it is completely unacceptable to be announcing this with less than two weeks notice.

Surely they must have had some idea that it would be delayed before today? Yet they were telling people 6th May on their social media channels despite the fact that the attraction clearly wasn't (and still isn't) finished!

It's a shame that every major attraction Merlin attempt nowadays is met with delays/opening unfinished, all this bad publicity and a damage in the park's reputation could be avoided simply by not advertising a specific date so far in advance!

Typical combination of poor planning and poor (incorrect) communication from Merlin & Thorpe.

11 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

Not only is it a major disappointment for the ride to be delayed, it is completely unacceptable to be announcing this with less than two weeks notice.

Surely they must have had some idea that it would be delayed before today? Yet they were telling people 6th May on their social media channels despite the fact that the attraction clearly wasn't (and still isn't) finished!

It's a shame that every major attraction Merlin attempt nowadays is met with delays/opening unfinished, all this bad publicity and a damage in the park's reputation could be avoided simply by not advertising a specific date so far in advance!

Typical combination of poor planning and poor (incorrect) communication from Merlin & Thorpe.

Maybe something happened in the past day or so for them to decide it wouldn't be open. You're just assuming they would've known before. 

12 minutes ago, Coaster Jamie said:

I CALL BINGO!

Just now, Ryan said:

Maybe something happened in the past day or so for them to decide it wouldn't be open. You're just assuming they would've known before. 

So not advertising an opening date until they are certain it will be ready on time would prevent disappointment caused by unforseen circumstances. Either that, or advertise a date very far in advance and then soft open the attraction if it is ready before they expect it to be.

Considering that it is still being constructed (and the ride vehicle was sat outside the building until a few days ago), I would suggest that they had a pretty good idea it would be delayed.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic