Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

Love how they even refer to it as DBGT in the blog, even Thorpe admit the title is too long ;)

Wonder how late in the season DBGTROTD is going to open then? 

Not quite sure why it won't be ready for opening but hey ho... I guess 4 months of closed season isn't very long is it? (!)

It is a prototype design, that's all that means. Like most attractions around the world in one way or another. If they want to update it with newer technology in years down the line, then they will have to pay, and it is the willingness to spend any money on existing attractions - not the willingness to use technology - that is Merlin's big flaw.

I don't want to sound like I'm just being pessimistic, I'm being honest, this happens all across Merlin.

Proper coolant systems were not in the design for the ride originally because it was an oversight and a corner being cut basically, and it came to bite them. And quite rightly to be honest, it is very basic, if they wanted a proper VR attraction they need to learn to stop cheaping out on back-end systems and contractors.  

This article may have good intentions, but it is pure PR.  A bit concerning how Merlin keep trying to use jargon to out-impress the general public regardless of whether the attraction is entertaining, to make out they are right on the ball when they're not. It reeks of telling people what to think and not to think for themselves, and that is my issue with Merlin's attractions. Is the ride any good? No, but it's CUTTING EDGE and LATEST TECHNOLOGY so that's all that matters apparently. They don't need Derren Brown to brainwash people it seems.

25 minutes ago, Wumbamillio said:

They don't need Derren Brown to brainwash people it seems.

Which is very useful if he's completely stepped away from this project...

Besides, it only means that when the current version of VR is outdated it can be replaced, though of course that means spending money on updated graphics and new headsets... So an even bigger moneypit of an attraction then...

Aren't the headsets outdated already? They are all the HTC Vive Pre models, aren't they?

The only real advancement I can see them make is to improve not only the graphics and tracking but the connection between the headset and the lighthouses too, which will help the random glitches become less frequent. Besides, wasn't that a reason why the glass windows in the carriage were covered with a plastic sheet, because they were interfering too severely with the connection?

Those headsets will become outdated very quickly, especially as they are the first edition.

The PCs will age very quickly so they should be spending approximately £250,000 every 2 to 6 years plus the cost of replacing all the damaged ones (which is every PC they used last year).

They won't keep that up at the rate they should. I wouldn't be surprised if they only ever updated the hardware once in the next 20 years.

57 minutes ago, Benin said:

Besides, it only means that when the current version of VR is outdated it can be replaced, though of course that means spending money on updated graphics and new headsets... So an even bigger moneypit of an attraction then...

That's exactly what I said in the post :P

I reckon I'm about 90% sure that it will just be a scare maze added onto the end and new VR footage knowing Merlin. If it's anything more than this, I will be somewhat impressed. The one thing they have to fix is the reliability, last season was an absolute joke. They better have sorted out all of the technical problems by now. It concerns me a little that the opening date is 'Comming Soon' which we all know this really means 'Delayed'. All they need are something like this for £170 each to keep their multi-million pound attractions pcs from overheating;

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/~/media/C599D732B56044B7A9F0E34C549ED7D8.ashx?w=780

Liquid cooling is really simple now and affordable. Why the hell can't they have sufficient pc cooling critical for the VR working when even I can afford liquid cooling on my pc?

So Merlin, get some GPU adapters and slap on some of these H115i's, you'll have no VR problems then. :good:

http://www.corsair.com/en-gb/hydro-series-h115i-280mm-extreme-performance-liquid-cpu-cooler

Apparently it seems like there are more than two possible options, as in some photos there are two things that happen, which you can see, as there are two different entrances. We know that apparently building has had work done to it and from some plans (they may be fake) it seems to have a crawl section. The red is the 'immersive crawl section' and 1 and 2 are apparently the two routes you could take.

ThorpeParkDarkRide2016Edited.png

Interestingly, they've DM'd people who asked about the announcement on twitter, I also asked when I noticed but I guess I was too late or something? I was told that they are no longer looking for volunteers. I'm guessing some of our lot got some DM's though so make yourselves known if you can! :P 

So they're NOT officially announcing it but sending messages to those asking for it, but then telling them to keep it on the down low?

Guessing they're aiming for a "we can't 100% confirm it'll be open when we say it is, so don't want hordes of angry people again" situation...

Another fine mess eh?

31 minutes ago, Benin said:

So they're NOT officially announcing it but sending messages to those asking for it, but then telling them to keep it on the down low?

Guessing they're aiming for a "we can't 100% confirm it'll be open when we say it is, so don't want hordes of angry people again" situation...

Another fine mess eh?

I just DM'd them and they replied with "Opening time is now TBC"

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic