Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

NO SPOILERS, ALTHOUGH A RATHER CRITICAL REVIEW

Having waited nearly 2 years to get on this attraction, I couldn't wait to see what was hiding in that warehouse! Overall, the outside is visually impressive, and I like the overall theme of the attraction, but its down hill once you go past the pre-show. I thought the VR was not much better than Galactica and was so un-realistic that it was almost laughable. The story is erratic, unexplained and just simply doesn't make sense, to the point of wondering if the attraction was written whilst someone was on drugs. If 1000 people were involved with this I would say too many cooks spoiled the broth. 

I really think they tried this 2/3 years to early, as I felt the technology wasn't there yet. Now I know it was a technical rehersal, but can they improve the visuals on the VR before it opens? I don't think so, and not at this late stage. The fact that the VR is not very good, as well as being batched in such huge numbers, it makes the entire experience feel rushed and un-realistic, which is a shame as the ride has so much potential, but has failed in my eyes. I know the GP will lap it up and will love it, but it feels so far fetched that I just cannot justify queuing more than 30 minutes for it. Fair play to Merlin for trying to create a unique dark ride experience, and they threw a lot at it, but it simply isn't cohesive enough to be a great experience.

I took some photos of the general area and theming, you can see them on my Flickr...

Derren Brown's Ghost Train at Thorpe Park

I don't quite understand how the VR is "so unrealistic it's laughable" when it was filmed with real people?

Unless you're basing you're entire opinion off the second VR section I can't really understand where you're coming from, maybe you got a dodgy headset perhaps?

I don't quite understand how the VR is "so unrealistic it's laughable" when it was filmed with real people?

Unless you're basing you're entire opinion off the second VR section I can't really understand where you're coming from, maybe you got a dodgy headset perhaps?

I believe they are referring to the CGI parts of the VR, rather than the live action parts.

10 minutes ago, Owen said:

Even though the VR is filmed with real people in the first half, the way it flickers in between night vision and normal light is un-realistic in the fact that the timings are slightly off. I rode it twice yesterday and one headset was far better than the first, but it was still very poor even if it was filmed by real actors. I think the problem is still the fact that the technology is still not where it needs to be to make it realistic. The second half was more entertaining, but it really was very random and again very CGI, so it didn't feel very immersive. These are obviously just my opinions, I may go on it again out of tech rehearsal and it could blow my mind, we will just have to wait and see. 

An article from digital spy has been released, further confirming the attractions official opening date is the 8th of July 2016. Here are some images taken from the article!

The 'Infection Check' photo point

image.jpeg

The pre-show room

image.jpeg

The live action portion

image.jpeg

VR screenshot

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Got this email from Thorpe this morning, still nothing on their Twitter of Facebook though.

View in browser.

Thrillseeker, experience a world first:

Derren Brown's Ghost Train is NOW OPEN!

A one-of-a-kind experience like you have never seen before has arrived at THORPE PARK Resort. Re-invented for the 21st century, this ghost train will blow your mind!

Book now from £27.99

Mind blowing attraction, created by the master of illusions, DERREN BROWN, himself

Victorian train carriage, SUSPENDED 3m in the air

10-15min MULTI-SENSORY experience including Virtual Reality

Experience MULTIPLE journeys, characters and endings

Book now from £27.99

To continue your mind-blowing experience, why not stay over on the Island Like No Other with breaks from only £129!

Book now from £129 for two

Share now

WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Mail

Visit us on

[emoji767] 2016 Merlin Entertainments

Sorry, not brave enough... Unsubscribe me

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic