Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

My main concern about DBGT is the IP of Derren Brown.

Will Derren be as respected and popular in 10 years and what effect will this have on the ride?

Derren is 44 so I can't see him continuing with his shows in 15 years. I just worry about how the popularity of Derren himself will directly effect the popularity of this ride.

Derren is 44 so I can't see him continuing with his shows in 15 years.

Really? Look at any TV personality (or band for that matter), they'll keep going for as long as they are relevant/paid to do so. If they love what they do (which Derren does) they will continue - even when they aren't on TV. His live shows are incredible (can't wait for Miracle in a few months). 

But even if he were to completely disappear in 5 years time, he isn't like the usual 'IP'. He could even be a fictional character. Look at Dr Frankenstein's Scream Machine - a fictional character - still had relevance (and would do today if it were still there). It could have been called Dr Merlin's Ghost Train, as long as we get a background/insight into who Dr Merlin is/was then the ride will make sense. Of course, "Dr Merlin" wouldn't sell tickets as well as "Derren Brown" in the first couple of years, but in year 5/10 (if the IP has left the public eye) it wouldn't matter.

Think Saw: The Ride. When that opened, it sold many tickets. Now, who goes to TP to go on SAW because it's the movie-themed coaster? You go because of the ride. It could have been called Dillan: The Ride and people would be saying NOW that they want to go to TP to go back on Dillan, but that wouldn't have generated the hype back in 2010.

The thing is, you wont need to know who Derren Brown is to ride the ride, which means that as time goes on, and Derren drifts out off the stage of modern celebrity then the 'Derren brown' character in the ride can just become a fictional character. OK so the IP doesnt bring any new people, but at that point in the rides life, who cares. People will be drawn to the park with the new 24 looping mega wooden coaster. The ride may just gradually slip off the Derren Brown name and just revert to Ghost Train.

I think an alternative IP to Derren Brown thorpe could have used it A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. It has the dark vibe that is a very popular theme at thorpe however it is much more family oriented than Derren Brown. There's also a new TV series coming out which makes it relevant.

Yes please can we have evidence. I've learnt from experience never to believe anything without evidence. So just a screenshot or any other piece of evidence would be highly appreciated.

Ryan made up the rumour of Hex getting VR so I just don't want this to be the case of the boy who cried wolf.

Unfortunately, I do believe that there is no evidence to back up Ryan's comment.

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic