Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

The gaming crowd are really not hyped enough to go to Thorpe just to try out the vive. A few will but the majority will not travel and pay to get in then wait 1-3 hours to experience a few minutes of a headset. This will draw crowds on the entire appeal of its new and big with Derrens name slapped on the side.

The struggle this ride will have in drawing the crowds is that it is not a coaster. It's Thorpe's job to convince the public it's worth while.

Some small spoilers from Paul Moreton, Group Creative Director, on the Ghost Train, during the recent Investor Relations presentation:

Trust me, it's going to be really scary, it's going to mess with your head, and you're not going to know what's real and what's not real.

We're building a massive warehouse... in the middle of the warehouse will be a hanging Victorian train carriage, hanging by wires, nothing below, nothing behind, nothing at the sides.

You then enter the Victorian train carriage and you soon realise you're no longer in a Victorian train carriage, you're now in a London Underground train....

You put on your "contamination goggles" and for the next 10 minutes your world turns completely upside down.

Will be interesting to see how they manage the transition from Victorian train to London Underground train.

And can we read that the VR element ("contamination goggles") takes up a good 10 mins of the attraction's 13 mins running time? If so, what does that mean for throughputs? It's been revealed that the attraction contains "60 seats per train"... if these 60 people are spending 10 minutes with their goggles on, does that mean (60 x 6 =) 360 riders per hour? Or is there more than one train...?

Hoping we don't have another "I'm a Celebrity" on our hands, throughput-wise...

Interesting find!

I'm pretty certain there's more than one train, as during the Periscope Q&A on reveal day, it was mentioned that there'd be "over 200 people in the building at any one time". Assuming they meant over 200 on the ride, then that would me 4 groups on the go, bringing the throughput closer to 1100pph, in theory. But who knows!

The VR thing worries me a bit. It was stressed that VR was only a small part of the experience in the press release, but 10 minutes is not a small part. Hopefully it was more meant you put the VR goggles on after you board the carriage, and take them off at some point during the next, crazy, 10 minutes. But then it risks creating a disjointed experience..

The more tid-bits of information that come out, the more I'm starting to worry this isn't going to be much good (or at least, my cup of tea)... but I continue to hope I'll be proven wrong!

How do you get in the carriage then if there's nothing around it to get you in it? Is it just a pointless prop? I really hope Merlin manage to pull this off.

The more tid-bits of information that come out, the more I'm starting to worry this isn't going to be much good (or at least, my cup of tea)... but I continue to hope I'll be proven wrong!

How do you get in the carriage then if there's nothing around it to get you in it? Is it just a pointless prop? I really hope Merlin manage to pull this off.

There's a bridge that takes you across to the carriage.

There's a bridge that takes you across to the carriage.

Indeed - which could well be the suspected "Load" and "Offload" walkways I sketched out many months ago...

2016revisedpredictedqueue.jpg

This being the case, the above diagram suggests there is just the one suspended train carriage...

...but what on earth happens in the rest of the warehouse is anyone's guess!

A maze for FN obviously. They aren't using that space for anything other than a purpose built space for FN. Definitely not lots of things that we still are in the dark about for this attraction. Like the transportation system etc.

That's the point I was trying to make, there's a lot more to this than people think :P

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic