Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

I am expecting something very Hex-esque but with a more intense psychological aspect. But it has to be something that works on 100% of people 100% of the time, otherwise people will just walk off disappointed and call it a waste of time.

I am very excited regardless. Derren Brown specials have always been something I've looked forward to so even if he does feature heavily in the attraction, it won't bother me.

Yes, but even Unilad can't get anything right these days...

"Prepare to have your mind f****d, as Derren Brown has officially designed and opened the world’s first ‘fully immersive psychological theme park attraction"

It hasn't even opened yet? Also, the Telegraph Article couldn't spell Colossus correctly either. I know I'm being anal about it all but it frustrates me a little! 

Finally got all the clues so far, the competition prizes are very appealing :blush: 

Wow - This was the #1 most trending thing on Facebook just now. Even Unilad posted about it, which is one of the most followed accounts of Facebook. That's pretty good going for a ride announcement!

That caption makes me think they paid to have that posted on unilad (which is a good idea if so)

All very exciting stuff!

As has been said many times, Derren's work is really something phenomenal for the most part.  It's hard seeing him wanting to spend so long on something quite prolific and have it fall flat on its face.

I'm curious as to how exactly he will feature in the attraction.  I'm expecting he'll be involved in some form of pre-show and maybe a post show at the very least, but whether he features elsewhere is something I think could go either way.  But if they don't use his voice somewhere in this attraction at the very least, they've missed a trick!

One thing which I think is worth noting is how, in the press release, they don't refer to this as a 'ride'.  It is always an "attraction" or "experience".  And the fact they are calling it a "smart" ride is interesting as well.  Some might be aware of Walibi Belgium's 'Challenge of Tutankhamon', a laser-shooter, trackless dark ride which features 3 potential endings, depending on a car's score.  Could it perhaps be possible to have a similar idea, without shooters, and have a ride car interact with guests in some way, thus creating different possible experiences on each ride?  It sounds very improbable I know, but I'm in a realm of thinking that anything could potentially be possible at this stage..

I agree with everyone about the clues pointing towards some sort of train story going on, along with the obvious Victorian era route.  Will be interesting to see what happens!

Merlin Studios is (or perhaps at least was, before it was reshuffled as Merlin Magic Making department) actually a different company to Merlin Entertainments. As it used to be Tussauds Studios, the same that designed Nemesis, Oblivion, even The 5th Dimension.

Merlin Studios were good but supposedly always terrible with budgeting, so something extremely simple for most studios would burn money yet look like it cost 2p.

Very glad to see independents being used again, like the good old days, and we've already seen what a massive increase in creative designs this decision has resulted in. Scruffy Dog are getting very big with all their contracts from Merlin! I don't think they should be worshipped as something special, considering the UK actually has a very rich but not very well known history of AMAZING studios and creative theme industry, but I'm not trying to put a downer on a popular and growing studio like Scruffy.

To be fair, unilad always share funny stuff, but as soon as they write an article it seems like someone who has never spoken or written english before does it and is only semi literate to the point they can't actually understand some of the most important words. Same with any of the lad pages to be fair. Their article writing is absolutely dire (as seen previously with the smiler crash)

Mixed thoughts on the theme for this, it is an interesting concept but it does seem a little odd to theme a ride on an illusionist - although I'm sure all will become clear.

Scruffy Dog seem capable of producing good theming when they are given the right budget/timescale, so lets hope they have.

Mixed thoughts on the theme for this, it is an interesting concept but it does seem a little odd to theme a ride on an illusionist - although I'm sure all will become clear.

Scruffy Dog seem capable of producing good theming when they are given the right budget/timescale, so lets hope they have.

Not sure what you mean, the ride isn't themed around Derren Brown its themed around "Victoriana" whatever that may involve.

The name and theme of the ride is yet to be confirmed. Derren Brown has just been brought in to help create the ride, so it's perfectly obvious that whatever we'll see on this ride is going to blow our minds. :)

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic