Derren Brown's Ghost Train: Rise of the Demon

Marc

There could be a reason for it being filmed on the Tube though, isn't that rumoured to be part of the theme?

"Get on board…" I think it's very clear that it's going to be London Underground themed. Kind of strange considering the park is neither in London nor near any Tube station. But OK.

I've been subtly/not so subtly hinting at the fact there'll be an Underground train carriage in there since August  :ph34r:

Oh no he's so bad posting about Darren brown in a Darren brown attraction topic. All grumpy because you can't take the piss out of Thorpe park because it's shut so taking other ways to? Grow up already

:blink:

Wait a minute.... if there is gonna be a tube theme(or something to do with the tube) could we have a simulator which is like the one in shrek's adventure but just themed to the tube? everyone says the simulator is amazing when it works so maybe Thorpe have put one into this attraction but with a different theme?

Do you mean for the ride itself or a preshow type section? Because I would feel dissapointed if the ride was a simulator similar to Shrek's Adventure :o

That's what I think it'll exactly be, a walkthrough maze, simulator tube ride to somewhere magical, then another maze/experience/interaction walk to the photo kiosk where they relieve you of £25 for a Derren Brown special edition album full of green screen photos, yeah just like shrek but without the kids.

If it is I'll probably cut up my MAP and feed it to the park manager through that slot where the sun doesn't shine, because that is not 'the future of theme parks' in any way shape or form, especially when you can see the top of the screen from your seat, that kind of spoils the illusion a tad.

It's a bit saddening how negative a lot of theme park "fans" are when we have nothing to be complaining about.  Let's just wait and see :)

I both agree and disagree with you there. There are a few different types of negative responders above.

1) People who have been burned with 'best ever attraction' marketing. I personally count myself in this and take everything I hear about new rides with a pinch of salt since the thirteen debacle.

2) People who are just taking the micky and being jokingly negative. I also count myself in ths quite often.

3) People who don't believe Thorpe are capable of immersive story telling. Hmm am I part of this. I would like not to be but I think I drift into it occasionally, especially after Fright Nights.

4) People who only want a big rollercoaster.

OK I admit it, I am a Cynical old git! But I will still be in that queue on opening day with the rest of you lot eager to have either what hope I had dashed or my faith restored.

It won't just be a simulator. Not for £35M. Plus - look at the size of the building.

It's a bit saddening how negative a lot of theme park "fans" are when we have nothing to be complaining about. Let's just wait and see :)

If you set your expectations low then it's easier to be pleased with what you get. I went into Shrek with a similar attitude and completely enjoyed the experience, the only real gripe I had was being able to see the top of the screen in the simulator.

The whole 'future of theme parks' tagline is marketing bull**** that could come back to bite them in the arse if they're not careful.

If you set your expectations low then it's easier to be pleased with what you get. I went into Shrek with a similar attitude and completely enjoyed the experience, the only real gripe I had was being able to see the top of the screen in the simulator.

The whole 'future of theme parks' tagline is marketing bull**** that could come back to bite them in the arse if they're not careful.

But what if it really is the future of theme park attractions? You can' really say it's marketing bull**** until you know what it actually is.

But we must remember that Merlin are known for having actor led theme park experiences - no other experiences like The Dungeons and Shrek's Adventure exist - and, to my American friends, Merlin are recognised as the best in the world at it.    If it is actor led that won't make it anything new. 

However - I think we just need to not get wrapped up in the world of the marketing hyperbole and just wait and see what we get when it opens.  

I know that one of the greatest illusion designers in the world (not Derren Brown) is involved so if they're going with THAT kind of creative talent, it gives me hope that - with Derren calling the creative shots here - we will get something amazing.  What the public will have to understand is that whatever the ride is - will not be the main attraction - it'll just be PART of the attraction (much like the mad house is the third act of Hex).  

I get where a fair amount of the negativity comes from.  In particular, I can see why people I very sceptical about whether a Merlin theme park can sustain a large-scale dark ride long term.  But for people to go into it with low expectations is just silly really.

If you're going into an attraction expecting it to be bad, then why are you going into it at all?  It seems pointless.  I can get it in some circumstances - for example, if you're riding a coaster which is known to be rough, but you still want to try it out, etc.  But if you're following the construction of something completely new and expect it to be bad, why even bother?

But if you're following the construction of something completely new and expect it to be bad, why even bother?

Because you may be pleasantly surprised?

I am keeping a simple view on the new ride - I'm not expecting it to be the best ride ever, nor am I expecting it to be dreadful.  It's impossible to judge it at all at this stage as we know very little about the actual ride system, so I intend on reserving judgement until the ride is open and I have experienced it.

Because you may be pleasantly surprised?

I am keeping a simple view on the new ride - I'm not expecting it to be the best ride ever, nor am I expecting it to be dreadful.  It's impossible to judge it at all at this stage as we know very little about the actual ride system, so I intend on reserving judgement until the ride is open and I have experienced it.

You see, I just hate that argument personally.  If you're "pleasantly surprised" that an attraction is enjoyable, when they're meant to be enjoyable, then quite frankly, there's something up.

With any ride / attraction / experience, you should go into it expecting that you will enjoy it and have fun.  Or, failing that,at least appreciate it for what it is.  You shouldn't have to hype it up as a best ride ever, or expect it to be bad.  Then, if a ride fails to meet that expectation, it's a bad ride.  If it meets it, you have a good ride.  

• JoshC. unpinned this topic
  • JoshC. pinned this topic